Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Storage

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Azure Storage - Delete Blob with Snap Shot Fails - Error 409 Conflict

We were creating a snapshot each time we updated a blob to preserve the version of the blob. However when we tried to delete the blob we received Error 409 Conflict (error msg did not tell us why). When we changed the delete statement from await blockBlob.DeleteIfExistsAsync() to await blockBlob.DeleteIfExistsAsync(DeleteSnapshotsOption.IncludeSnapshots, null, null, null) the delete worked. Apparently having snapshots associated to a blob causes a delete conflict. Makes sense but can we have a more descriptive error message? Thanks!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Provide a way to encrypt or obfuscate blob names

My application stores a lot of files containing user data, where each blob is named after a corresponding primary-key in a relational database.

Currently my blob storage container is private and all requests for blobs are proxied through my web application.

To reduce server load I would like to expose the blobs directly, however this would mean exposing the raw blob name to end-users, which gives away the unencrypted database primary-key value.

I know I can prevent access to blobs using Shared Access Signatures however I don't need that kind of security - I just want to obfuscate blob names…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. "Snapshot if exists" function

At the present time, running the "Snapshot Blob" operation against a non-existent blob yields an error.

It would be very useful to have a "Snapshot if exists" operation (or indeed an option on the present "Snapshot Blob"). So that if a blob does not exist, no error is generated.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add the lease start datetime as a property of a blob

That will allow us to calculate the age of the lease, which will help in determining if we should break the lease. For example, if a job is terminated an infinite lease will stick on the blob. But if we can calculate how old is the lease, then we can determine whether to break it.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. hotlink prevention

Preventing others to consume my Azure resources via HTTP_REFERER header validation.
    This is a common scenario for blogs, websites etc.

Scott Hanselman has even written a blog post about it: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/BlockingImageHotlinkingLeechingAndEvilSploggersWithIISUrlRewrite.aspx

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. more detailed error messages

We've run into an issue where data we tried to store wouldn't fit in the blob file. The error message was (416) The page range specified is invalid.

At first it wasn't clear whether we were trying to start saving beyond the page file or data didn't fit or something else was culprit. Eventually we figured it out.

It would be nice if the error message would provide more details: page size, size we tried to save, location we tried to save within the file, etc. This would've showed us the issue right away. Instead we had to spend a…

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We are currently working on providing this functionality and will provide updates when they become available. See the following article for the latest: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/storageservices/status-and-error-codes2. Note that for REST API version 2017-07-29 and later, failed API operations also return the storage error code string in a response header. For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

7. move pageblobs already in the cloud to cool storage, you can't!

I was on the phone today with Microsoft Azure. I have 12TB of data in pageblobs that I would like to move to azure cool storage for archiving. Well, the only way to do that is to download them to local HDD and then convert and upload to cool storage. You can not at this time transfer from your azure storage files "in the cloud" over to cool block blobs. Plus, another limitation is that block blobs have a size limit of 195GB due to its internal architecture. I have plenty of pageblobs over 1tb that I would like to…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Implement viewer for json / csv blob files

At the moment the only way to view a files in storage blobs is to download it and open it within an editor. This is fine for larger files, but for the smaller ones it would be a bit easier to be able to get a quick (pre)view of the file in the browser by just clicking it. Should not be that hard to implement an additional pane with a view of the raw file contents.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. antivirus for blob storage

Ability to scan files in blob storage.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Support If-Modified-Since precondition in blob enumeration APIs

(Unless I've missed it somewhere) It would be real nice if last modification time filtered blob enumerations could be applied server-side.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Fix Bug: Azure Blob Client has issues when reading a stream that is larger than StreamMinimumReadSizeInBytes and the buffer is not base2

See attached example C# file that illustrates the issue.
    When using an pageBlob.OpenRead(), along with a non-base2 buffer (i.e. 15 vs 16 bytes) to read the stream ( blobStream.Read(blobBuffer, 0, blobBuffer.Length); ) it will fail when you cross the boundary defined by StreamMinimumReadSizeInBytes

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Support GZIP & DEFLATE Content-Encoding for List Blobs Responses

For collections with large numbers of blobs, the XML response payload easily approaches 100s of MBs. In our testing, each block of 5000 objects resulted in a ~2.8MB response. This is without any other flags set (i.e. no snapshots, no metadata, no uncommitted blobs). The response XML is highly compressible. In our testing we saw a 93% size reduction. (2.8MB -> 210KB). This would be a huge improvement in transfer performance, and a large cost savings in egress bandwidth situations.

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. create an API method for getting the number of BLOBs in a Container

As far as I understand, there is currently no method for getting the total number of blobs in a single container.

And there is also the maximum number of blobs per request (5.000).

We have containers with 10k - 100k blobs so we would really need a way of quickly checking the number of blobs that are in a container.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Our apologies for not updating this ask earlier. Storage analytics at the container level is on our backlog, but is unlikely to be released in the coming year. Currently, account level analytics are available. In order to monitor, diagnose and troubleshoot an Azure Storage account, please see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/storage-monitoring-diagnosing-troubleshooting. In .Net you can now use the Analytics class to process these metrics. The API can be referenced at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/microsoft.windowsazure.storage.analytics.aspx. For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

15. CloudPageBlobs should have a CURRENT snapshot name that always points to the latest

CloudPageBlobs should have a CURRENT snapshot that always directly follows the latest version of the blob it is refrencing. This would allow for many read-only mounts of the VHD with out having to manage the create/delete cycle of time stamped labels. Additionally this mount would reduce the unmount/remount cycle that moves around drive letters and can mess up previously opened files.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Make Get Blob return versionid of current version

It is common for applications to refer to a snapshot, version or point-in-time state of a blob. This requires the application to (1) correctly identify the blob state (i.e. store the etag or versionid for subsequent reading), and (2) quickly retrieve a blob that matches that identity (do a GET by etag or by versionid).

The problem is that, as of this writing, "get current blob" and "get blob by version" REST APIs are not compatible:

• The "get current blob" operation only returns the etag; it does not return the versionid of current version.

• There is no way…
    3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Filter set wildcard match in storage lifecycle management

Same feature like präfix but with a wildcards to filter for files that should be deleted.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Please improve the GetPageRanges API.

We have seen the lots of issues with this API. This API fails for a chunk size of 64 MB (when the Azure doc mentions that it would work for 130 MB for sure). The worst thing is it takes 10 mins to fail the API even though the timeout is 90 seconds (as per the azure docs). Needs serious improvements. We use this API to do the cross region replication and restore operations from cross region replicated snapshot.
    The similar API by AWS does lot more things smartly.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 3 4 5 6 8 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base