Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Storage

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Change error "specified blob or block content is invalid" to something more informative or fix underlying issue

Azure Government] I have two MSI files. I can upload chefdk-1.2.22-1-x86.msi, 324 MB, just fine via the port. The other one, azure-powershell.3.6.0.0.msi, is 37MB.

When I upload via the portal I get a pop-up reading:

Upload error for azure-powershell.3.6.0.0.msi 7:08 PM
    Upload block blob to blob store failed: Details. StatusCode=400, StatusText = The specified blob or block content is invalid

When I attempt to upload via witih azure-cli, I just get 'Connection Aborted' after about 30 seconds.

Azure-cli also fails after I rename the file, and if I try to upload to a different container on this account.

The portal…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Blob storage is extremely slow compared to the competitors.

Blob storage is extremely slow compared to the competitors. Needs improvement.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. SAS behavior for replacing/overwriting blobs

It would be useful to define in the SAS token what to do in case of creating a blob with an existing name. The current behavior replaces/overwrites the existing blob.
    Furthermore the default behavior is somehow a security threat, because a hacker having a SAS could replace existing entries.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support "Last Accessed" timestamp in blob metadata

With the new "Cool Storage" feature announced recently, it would be useful if we could tell when our "Hot" blobs were last accessed, so we could push them to Cool storage where appropriate. We could achieve this with a proxy service and SAS signatures, but having this automatically updated in the blob metadata itself would be much simpler and remove the requirement for any compute resource being required for simply accessing a blob.

69 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Password protection to verify container deletion ...

Have an option that when checked requires a password to be entered in order to delete a container (for Blobs, Tables, Queues, Files) as per my suggestion at:

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/223579-azure-portal/suggestions/16712818-password-protection-to-verify-container-delete

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Azure Antimalware should be able to scan blob storage

Azure Antimalware should be able to scan blob storage. Currently you have to save the file a a file system for the real time protection to be able to scan it. Once it has been scanned then you would have to move it to the blob storage. Would like to be able to write directly to blob storage and have the real time protection monitoring the files.

348 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    18 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Blob Storage :: Enable filtration in listing APIs

The Azure Blob Storage service is intended to be scalable, but the APIs do not enable filtration of results. The Azure Blob Storage service should enable filtration of container and blob listing at the service fabric layer.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Ability to mount a blob or virtual disk as an iSCSI device

Either blobs or virtual disks should be mountable as as an iSCSI device. Right now, I'd have to create a windows server with an iSCSI target. This seems like madness because the blob is already some kind of virtual device.

iSCSI is ideal for clustering and availability services and would solve problems with SQL Server clusters and other Windows Server cluster requirements.

315 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Rename blobs without needing to copy them

Copying blobs in order to rename them is a heavy operation, especially when the blob is big, or when you need to change many files, such as when changing a directory name.

1,213 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    46 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Our apologies for not updating this ask earlier. Renaming Blobs is on our backlog, but is unlikely to be released in the coming year. Today, you can use the “Copy Blob” API as a workaround.

Using the Azure Files service you can address Azure Storage like a network share using the SMB2.1 protocol.  This enables usage of normal Windows API’s to rename files and directories.  You can get started with the Files service by visiting https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/storage-dotnet-how-to-use-files.

For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

10. make it possible to use SSL on blob storage using custom domains

Currently you can use SSL but you have to user the standard URL. You can create a CNAME to your storage account but most browsers complain that the traffic was rerouted and is possibly an attack. There should be a way to install a domain certificate to your containers.

5,135 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    171 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Increase the size of a BLOB Storage Account to an indefinite amount

I'm currently working on a solution which will be using multiple storage accounts which will continue to grow indefinitely.
    The 100TB limit means that I have to continuously list the blobs in my container to workout what the total size used is and then determine if I need to create a new storage account on the fly. This is cumbersome and time consuming for the type of performance the business requires.

It would be better to remove the account size limitation which would simplify the solution considerably and remove all the blob listing look-ups which seem counter intuitive. The only…

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We are currently working on increasing the scale limits of storage accounts. See the following post for updated capacity limits (currently at 5 PB for a single storage account): https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/blog/announcing-larger-higher-scale-storage-accounts/. For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

12. Event handler for blob read and custom query strings

Currently azure supports event handling for blob create and delete. Is there a possibility of enabling event handing for blob reads?

My idea we would like to pass custom querystring parameters to a blob url and use the read event handler to fire off an Azure Function to handle custom business logic

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. custom domain does not route to index.html

An assigned custom domain does not route to index.html similar to the original Azure-assigned URL.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Access by SAS link

Can I close access by SAS link after it is created (long-term) and transferred to the user?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow a single soft-deleted snapshot to be Undeleted, similar to the Delete command.

Regarding the new soft-delete for blob storage:

The existing Delete command allows you to target and delete a specific snapshot, without affecting any other snapshot or the base blob.

However, attempting to Undelete a specific snapshot instead undeletes all of the snapshots for that blob.

I don't need all of the other snapshots undeleted when I am attempting to roll back my blob to a specific date. Especially when trying to do a bulk roll-back this has some major drawbacks, such as all snapshots being preserved past the 30 day retention policy.

Especially since our blob storage contains a mix…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow longer leases that aren't infinite

Currently leases on a block blob are limited to 15-60 seconds in duration or infinite in duration. Please change this to allow leases for up to an hour without a process renewing the lease every 60 seconds. I'm using the CloudBlockBlob.AcquireLease method.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. NotModified response is missing required headers

When making an anonymous http request for a blob, if the response is "304 The condition specified using HTTP conditional header(s) is not met." the HTTP spec indicates that you should be including the same ETag in this response as was sent in the original 200 response.
    This is not the case.

RFC 7232 Section 4.1

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. DELETE https://myaccount.blob.core.windows.net/mycontainer?comp=list&prefix=foo

The same way I can list blobs with a certain prefix in a blob container using http-method GET I would like to issue a http DELETE on the same combination container + prefix and effectively delete all blobs matching the prefix in the container!

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback. We think of this ask as “range delete”, and plan to deliver it after “batch delete”. Batch delete will allow you to enumerate multiple blobs to be deleted in a single HTTP request. Batch delete is planned for the coming year, but there is not an ETA we can share for range delete. We will provide updates when they become available. For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

19. Allow page blobs with variable-size pages

There are cases where 512B is not always the ideal size. There are scenarios where a 64B, 128B or 256B blob is more appropriate for the application being developed.

It would be great if you could allow a page size to be passed when the blob is being created.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Server side delete, rename of virtual folder

Currently if I have millions of documents inside a virtual folder, there is not way to delete them without actually iterating through everything, which is extremely time consuming (weeks to process deletions)

For example, if you have multiple containers, which in turn have multiple virtual folders with millions of blobs, moving, renaming or deleting the "folder" is impossible without some painfully slow iterating through everything.

thanks!

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base