Storage

How can we improve Azure Storage?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Delete a table should be a quicker and non blocking process

The Table Delete Process should not leave the recreation of the table disabled.
    When deleting a big table in table storage, you have to wait an undetermined amount of time to be able to re create that table. The deletion time should be a predictable process, or at least a non blocking process. Maybe during the process, the table can be "renamed" so there is no conflict when trying to re create it.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. It would be Great if azure table storage can support lua scripting to get the data

Right now there is no way to execute logic on the columns other than Row key and partition key. It would be great if we can write some logic using lua scrpts which can execute on the server itself and get the results.
    Because it take lot of effort to get the result and filter out at client side.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add an InsertIfNotExists

There should be an ability to insert a record only if that record does not exist. This would match off the partition & key, and would be the equivalent of checking for the rows existence followed by insert if it did not exist, or do nothing if it did. This is not the same an Upsert or Merge.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Localtime logging support in table storage that is used from Azure Functions

Azure Functions automatically creates a storage account for its service to store logging data in form of "AzureWebJobsHostLogsYYYYMM" in its Table Storage.

I know that UTC is widely adopted in Azure and Edm.DateTime, which is used in 'Timestamp', 'EndTime' and 'StartTime' is only for storing UTC datetime data.

but I'd appriciate if if you add a feature that allows us to check these recorded logs of Azure Functions in localtime specified like JST, PST.

Thanks,

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Editing Filters in SSMS Object Explorer doesn't Refresh the Filtered Results

As an example:

1. In SSMS Object Explorer, right-click on Tables and select Filter/Filter Settings
    2. Add some filter settings and click OK

If there we no pre-existing filter settings then the filter is applied and the Object Explorer is refreshed. However if there were existing settings clicking OK will do nothing and the user has to manually refresh the Object Explorer.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. highlight how to disable Nagle's algorithm in your performance optimization MSDN articles

The MSDN article that describes Nagle's algorithm (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/hh697709.aspx) should highlight the performance gains from disabling Nagle's algorithm.

In our case, disabling that algorithm yielded an order of magnitude improvement in latency (from 300 to 30 ms). This is a vital piece of information that is not highlighted in performance optimization documentation for Azure.

It may even be worthwhile to consider disabling Nagle's algorithm by default, or provide some default configuration examples that remark on this algorithm.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Table storage on persistent memory devices.

This could enable simple data modeling even for relational data.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Idempotent entity deletion (i.e. delete with retry should work)

In cloud apps, it's important to make all operations idempotent, to facilitate handling behavior of intermittent hardward/software faults. In particular, the DELETE operation on the Table Storage is not idempotent (deleting a missing entity throws an error code). It would be much better if it was possible to specify an optional idempotent behavior.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Paging issue in Azure table Storage 4.0

While using the Azure Table Storage 4.0, i discovered an issue with the paging functionality.
    If fire a query which returns more than 30 records, I have to move to the next page to view the excess records.
    Suppose i was on Page 2 and now i fire a query which returns less than 30 values.
    In this case, I am unable to see any records because the page isn't reset and it still shows me page 2 which has no records.
    I hope you will look into this issue and fix it in the future release.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Preallocate table sizes

In our load we typically create a new table and then fill it with ~100M entries quickly. After that we create some entries, change some, delete some, but the size is growing more slowly.

The problem is that when we load the ~100M first elements from 0 elements, Azure storage becomes really slow. Very high response times. We think this is because it has to allocate lots of space and because it has to rebalance data between buckets many times in the start. After initial warmup, we can run much higher load against it then in the start.

What we…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow "Prefer: return-no-content" for upserts (i.e. InsertOrMerge/InsertOrReplace)

As per subject, allow to ignore echo on upsert operations too. There are cases where echo is not important when performing the upsert operation itself even if a row has been modified/replaced (ex: the table row will be read back later by another component).

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 4 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base