Storage

How can we improve Azure Storage?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide "ForceSerializeAttribute" for TableEntity-derived properties and fields

In a sense, it would be the opposite of the existing "IgnorePropertyAttribute" by forcing the serialization of decorated fields and properties (even if it they are private)

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please give us Count(), TakeLast(int i), Skip(int i)

There are many Scenarios were count is useful. Ich I write logs to Azure Tables most of the time i want to retreive the last n entries. It would be great if there would be something like TakeLast(int i) or Skip(int i) for doing something like Skip(count - take).Take(take).

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Let's sunset "One of the request inputs is not valid." to never be seen again

This is the most useless message ever. Also let the "valid" inputs succeed and return the bad ones.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Improve exception messages

"An error occurred while processing this request."

That message doesn't say anything. A suggestion would be to append the inner exception message. It makes debugging a lot easier.

----

"One of the request inputs is not valid"

That message doesn't say anything at all and I can't figure out why I get it. It's thrown on SaveChanges()

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. RBAC for Azure Tables

Right RBAC works at a for certain resources like subscription or Cloud Service What I would love to see is the ability to grant read access for Azure Blobs/Tables to a specific user

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Provide backup solution for Table Storage

Provide complex solution to backup and restore Table Storage with periodic backup option

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Status code returned by InsertOrReplace and InsertOrMerge should reflect if entity was inserted or replaced/merged

InsertOrReplace and InsertOrMerge return 204 on success but caller can't tell if entity was inserted or replaced/merged. It would be useful to know so caller can maintain accurate count of entities in the table.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. to install Silverligh ClientAccessPolicy.xml on table storage and provide an editor

to install Silverligh ClientAccessPolicy.xml on table storage and provide an editor. That way we can use table storage from within Silverlight.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Jeff Irwin responded

While this is not possible today for table storage, it can be done for blob storage using the root container (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/hh488356.aspx). Additionally, Table Storage can be accessed from JavaScript running in a browser using Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) Headers (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazurestorage/archive/2013/11/27/windows-azure-storage-release-introducing-cors-json-minute-metrics-and-more.aspx). Adding support for ClientAccessPolicy.xml in Table Storage is under review.

10. Improve Session support with TableStorageSessionStateProvider

The November '09 TableStorageSessionStateProvider could be improved in a few ways:

1.) Make it use DataConnectionString instead of blobServiceBaseUri, tableServiceBaseUri, AccountName, and sharedKey.

2.) Make it clean up old entries in the Sessions table and blobs in sessionprovidercontainer.

3.) Improve performance.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Diagnostics trace viewer in management portal

Right now if you need to see logs, you have to query azure table WADLogsTable. This is a bit wired. I think it will be good addition to the management portal if it will show this logs in more adequate way. If it will also support search it will be even more awesome.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add DataSync for Windows Azure Storage so affinity groups under Traffic Manager can stay in sync

If I choose to use Table Storage with an application that is under Traffic Manager, I would still like to maintain an affinity group for lower latency. In order to do this today I would need to syncronize data between the each of the storage nodes

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow batch insert and upsert of rows with different partition keys

Really self-explanatory. This is currently presenting a big bottleneck in my system because I must do up to 100 hundred separate roundtrips where I otherwise could have made a single.

This would also make it a lot easier to choose a proper RowKey/PartitionKey architecture for systems, where both performant insertions and retrievals are important.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Bulk Retrieve From Table Storage

A number of applications require querying for a set of non-contiguous records. However, for Table Storage, the only way to accomplish this is to issue a single query per record, or filter out the ones that are not needed after the query. In either case, this adds significant latency to getting the final result set.

It would be desirable to have a single bulk retrieve operation (analogous to the rest of the Bulk operations) which can handle non-contiguous retrieves within a single call. It would be completely reasonable to restrict it to a single partition, similar to the other bulk…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Make Join on the Table storage

Allow join feature on table storage.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Optimise retrieving of multiple entities across partitions

If I request multiple entities, for example with the filter

(PartitionKey=1 AND RowKey=2) OR (PartitionKey=3 AND RowKey=4)

then a full table scan is performed. Of course, it's more performant to make two queries for fast access to the specific records, but when the client is miles away, perhaps on a mobile device, the extra network traffic for two requests is itself problematic. I'd like the API to internalise the need to split this request into two, retrieve the two entities, then combine them into a single response rather than performing a full table scan. This would provide the best performance…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Support geospatial storage in Azure tables

Basically the idea is to store data in geospatial format and then allow table queries using geospatial concepts... for example, "points within 5 miles of this location" or "points within this boundary area".

SQL Azure supports geospatial storage and DocumentDB does as well. It seems like Azure tables aren't getting the love.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. add metadata to Table Storage tables

It would be very useful if table could have metadata associated with them beyond just their name. A user-defined metadata entity (just like a table entity) would be awesome.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. build a journaling system for azure table storage

Cloud storage services such as Windows Azure Table storage do present somewhat unique opportunities for protecting us against failures. Yaron Goland has proposed (http://www.goland.org/do-i-need-to-backupjournal-my-windows-azure-table-store/) what he termed a "journal" system which captures all PUT, POST & DELETE operations against a service:

I would like to have a journal that records every command issued against the system ... then when I find out about a data logic corruption bug caused by my front end I could at least try to figure out which of my users was likely to be affected by reviewing the journal

The very nature of…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base