Storage

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Available Disk Space monitoring and alerts are not sufficient

The current available tools for visualizing and alerting on available Disk Space for Azure Virtual Machines should be expanded. In the Dashboards module, there is no Live Tile that would allow you to see a Virtual Machine's disks and available space. You can get some data through custom queries, but these queries are manual-refresh only and are not truly suited to a live Dashboard environment.

Similarly, there is no way to create an Alert for low disk space in the current Alerts module. In Alerts (Classic) there was a % Free Disk Space - this is not sufficient because it…

229 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    10 comments  ·  Managed Disk Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Now that you've released Managed Disks, allow us to specify IOPS

This has been requested in other forms, but now that you have Managed Disks you're most of the way there. I would like to be able to say "I want a Managed Disk using standard storage, 1TB in size, with 2500 IOPS." Then you figure out how to configure storage to deliver those IOPS without me having to stripe disks, or whatever.
    Or perhaps "I want a 1TB Managed Disk using premium storage with 15000 IOPS." Again, you figure out how to configure and provision that, so I don't have to. That would be awesome!

76 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Managed Disk Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enable Incremental Snapshots for Managed Disks

With Unmanaged disks, by accessing the PageBlob APIs, one can efficiently compute incremental changes between two snapshots. This is because these blobs support incremental snapshots. This helps a lot in custom DR scenarios. However, with Managed disks, you cannot do such incrementals because each snapshot is a full copy.

Are we planning to enable incremental snapshotting capability for Managed Disks?

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Managed Disk Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Customer Managed SSE Keys for Managed Disk

Please provide the capability of using Customer Managed Keys for Storage Service Encryption (SSE). This is required for customers who need the ability to manage keys but seek to leverage the scalability and manageability advantages of Managed Disk.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Managed Disk Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow premium disk resizing without deallocating the VM

Title is explanatory, I should be able to scale up a premium disk without restarting the virtual machine. VMware can do it, you can too! I believe in you!

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Managed Disk Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Provide 'disable lock' functionality

The resource locks are great way of preventing the accidental deletion or modification and I usually lock the whole resource group with 'delete'. Quite often though I have to modify some simple setting like removing the rule from security group. In order to achieve that I have to:
    - Delete lock
    - Delete rule from security group
    - Create lock again
    It would be easier / faster if I could temporary disable the lock instead.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Allow smaller premium drive sizes for VM

Currently the smallest premium disk size when creating a VM is 128 GB. We have many VM's that are used solely for computation intensive workload and large amounts of data are not stored to the operating system drive. A 64 GB option would be sufficient for the space we are using and help to reduce some of the premium storage costs.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. shrink

Ability to shrink disk capacity of Windows and RHEL. I understand that we can increase the size of OS/Root disk for Windows and RHEL but currently there's no way to decrease it. I don't know if it is even possible but since it is cloud, I hope there is a way.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add managed disks pricing to the pricing calculator

The pricing calculator allows you to add 1 disk to a VM and see this pricing. However, it doesn't allow you to add multiple disks at different sizes. It also doesn't include the cost of a resized disk.

Please enable this feature.

Submitting on behalf of a customer in a support case.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. A feature to enable storage diagnostics on / off when creating VM or Storage.

I have some complaints from users that they can not specify Diagnostics settings On / Off at the time they create a storage account.

When users create a new storage account, the storage account diagnostics is enabled by default and billing for storage analytics tables occurs because those tables are created automatically. Moreover users can’t notice those table storage being charged during usage if they are not familiar. Please add a feature to allow users to specify storage diagnostics On / Off when creating a storage account.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. [ADTL] Add Support for the OSDisk object

Currently the DTL ARM templates does not support the OSDisk object like the regular VM ARM templates.
    We need an option to configure the OS disk size when creating Linux VM's. We have a pool of hundreds of Linux VM's in ADTL used as ADO build agents and the default OS disk size of 30GB is not enough.
    There is no good way to automate the resizing of the OS disk nor attaching new data disks on Linux.

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/templates/microsoft.compute/2018-10-01/virtualmachines.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Managed Disk Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Azure Disk Encryption need to support local proxy configuration

Currently Azure Disk Encryption doesn't support local proxy configuration. Proxy configurations that alter local HTTP traffic to this address are not supported. We want to support the VMs that configured Proxy configuration.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/security/azure-security-disk-encryption-tsg
    ----
    - Azure Instance Metadata Service
    The VM must be able to access the Azure Instance Metadata service endpoint which uses a well-known non-routable IP address (169.254.169.254) that can be accessed only from within the VM. Proxy configurations that alter local HTTP traffic to this address (for example, adding an X-Forwarded-For header) are not supported.
    ----

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Azure Linux Disk Encryption features enhancement

Hi, Azure product engineering team,

Kindly make available 'Azure Disk Encryption' on Red Hat for following scenarios.
    1) ADE (Azure Disk Encryption) for XFS file system on OS disk
    2) ADE for XFS file system on data disk without delete/wapping data.
    3) ADE on Custom image VMs
    4) ADE on LVM: extending and reducing disk feature

We faced challenges on ADE, Please find the reference ticket# 119021224003383

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Increase the number of attached Disks per Core

Please allow attaching more disks per core, or increase the max size of disk (1TB by default) without forcing upgrading the VM instance.
    For my project I use A1 Standard VM instance and CPU/memory is sufficient for my project, but it needs more storage (up to 10TB).
    I can't attach more disks without spending more on CPU/memory that my project doesn't require.
    I think, we should be charged for capacities/storage we really use and not for what we're forced to use!
    Please support it!

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Managed Disk Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. allow snapshot multiple managed disks at the same point in time

We have database linux vm with multiple premium managed disks. We have software raid on top of these disks inside the Linux guest vm. We need a way to take snapshots of these multiple managed disks at the same point in time coordinated at Azure storage level so all the writes are captured at the exact same point in time across all disks.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Mananged disk export directly to storageaccount instead of creating URL

It is not yet supported to directly migrate a managed VM from one subscription to another.
    It would be nice to have export directly to a storage account instead of creating an URL.
    It will just make migration so much easier and more secure, than having an URL, that is public accessable..
    kind regards
    Asger

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. snapshot rename

I want to rename managed disk's snapshot name.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Provision Managed OS Disks without VM Shell from Generalized Image

Currently, the only way to create an OS Disk from a generalized image is by creating it at the same time as a VM shell.

The ability to spin up Managed Disks without attaching them to a VM from a generalized image would be incredibly useful and allow for dynamic resizing of disks via ARM templates without affecting the VM itself.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Provide scheduled backup capability for Azure Managed Disks

Please backup and copy OS disk only by schedule with portal (not AzCopy Command). I would like to back up OS disk only. Currently Azure image capture and back up service take snapshot and backup by VM unit. AzCopy makes it to copy OS disk only. For me, AzCopy takes much time. Please make it much easier, I mean operation from management portal would be much preferred.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base