Virtual Machines

How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. What a joke

Creating a SharePoint 2013 dev environment is overly complicated when it should just be a button-click. Also, if you do get it created, VS 2013 cannot be started because "Something unusual has been detected with your account" and need to enter a code that never arrives. The whole Azure experience is a joke from the developer perspective

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: oidc
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Docker image instance scale out

It would be very useful to have docker image instances drive scale. VMs could be thought of being a side effect of docker image instances scaling requirements (which a clever system of spinning up VMs could help keep costs optimal). The images could cause new VMs to spin up, or cause image instances to move to other VMs to provide more resources, but could equally share existing under utilized machines.

One of the biggest weaknesses in Azure currently is that for the small users, things can cost alot of money because of deploying things on separate VMs for future scaling…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. The content of the list of items for the virtual machine size is not consistent.

When refreshing the entire page all options are shown, when selecting a virtual machine on the left only the A-sizes are shown.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Move VM from current storage account to another existing storage account as a one click migration

I would like to have the option to move an existing Virtual machine from its current storage account to another existing storage account within my current subscription to enable me to balance evenly the number of virtual machines in each of my storage accounts, or in the situation that the virtual machine was initially created in the wrong storage account storage account

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Error connet

can not connect via RDP and RDC

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. NGpus by nvidia

I need scale my VM to use 3d graphics render.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add fully patched (i.e. up to date) Windows VM templates to the gallery

Often the first thing I have to do after provisioning a new Windows Server based on a gallery template is installing all updates that have come out since that template was generated. Why doesn't Azure have up to date templates that already contain the latest patches? This would save me a lot of time.

So what I'm asking for: regularly updated templates for Microsoft OS-es that provision VMs that are fully updated to the latest patch level.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Make Update-AzureVM work. in Resource Manager Mode, I cannot add a Data vhd to a vm. This should be trivial and available in the UI

PS C:\> Update-AzureVM -VM $vm -ResourceGroupName $rgName
    Update-AzureVM : PropertyChangeNotAllowed: Changing property 'windowsConfiguration.additionalUnattendContent' is not
    allowed.
    OperationID : 'XXXXXXX"
    At line:1 char:1
    + Update-AzureVM -VM $vm -ResourceGroupName $rgName
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : CloseError: (:) [Update-AzureVM], ComputeCloudException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Azure.Commands.Compute.UpdateAzureVMCommand

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. group resources

is very usefull if you have multiple applications in different resources hace a container group for manage resources. For example, if you have 2 systems one of then is a Medical system and other one is a agile platform system, if very useful hace two groups names "medical" and "agile" that group your own virtual machines, networks, etc. Is useful too have group monitorization.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Duplicate resource

create a button for duplicate resource, like "duplicate VM" or "duplicate Application". This option can clone resource and allow user to change names and properties

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. "SQL AlwaysOn package billing"

Hello Team, I configured the SQL AlwaysOn package in Azure (setups up and configs 3 or 4 VMs, depending if you have a AD already: 2-node SQL+FSW+AD). The billing for those SQL VM's ended up being extremely excessive (over $3300 per month for the 2 SQL server VMs alone.. D2-1 core-7GB ram only [package uses SQL Ent. Ed.]).

My question is this: Why is there not a package in the marketplace for 'SQL AlwaysOn' using Standard edition instead?? (Std Edition is limited to 2-node clusters anyways)? The billings for this would be much more economical. It would make meeting the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Fix your portal software and back-end so that they either reset virtual machine passwords properly or give explanatory error messages

That is all I get and then the portal does not allow me to submit a technical support ticket for YOUR bug:

DESCRIPTION
    Failed to reset the password for virtual machine 'econovan'.
    STATUS
    Error
    TIME
    Sunday, October 4, 2015, 11:19:40 PM

DESCRIPTION
    Deployment to resource group 'econovan1' failed.
    STATUS
    Error
    TIME
    Sunday, October 4, 2015, 11:19:40 PM
    CORRELATION IDS
    clientNotification-8EDAD856-035A-49A4-A431-1C164C2D7E8C

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Copy files from one Azure share to another Azure share in the preview portal

The new preview portal allows you to browse file shares and upload data to the share. However, to copy from one share to another you need to mount the share into a VM.

I would like to select a set of files/folders and copy it to another share right from the preview portal UI.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. stabilize windows virtual machine provisioning / starting time

It is hard to teach in class when provisioning and starting a windows VM takes hours. Not a pleasant introduction to azure.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Slow Internet connection

I have a slow internet connection, & trying to benefit from this trail period but the time is running out ..!
    I have a q. Is it possible to extend the trail period more than one month ..say extra 2 weeks.
    just getting in to IT.
    Thanks a lot for your urgent reply
    Best Regards

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. I am not at all sure what a free trial covers. I wanted to try A4 with Hortonworks Sandbox 2.3. What is my cost?

Please make clear what a free trial covers. Can I try A4 with Hortonworks Sandbox 2.3?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. You’re right in pointing out that some of the features and restrictions of the free trial offer are not clearly presented. We will look into improving this.

For your particular scenario, I don’t think you can provision a Hortonworks Sandbox because it is a third party product available through the Azure Marketplace. Free trial credits cannot to my knowledge be applied towards marketplace items.

As for the cost, if you were on a Pay-As-You-Go plan, you would pay an estimated $262 USD a month for full time use on the basic tier. This information is provided before you provision such a VM when using portal.azure.com

I hope that helped,

Adam
    -Azure Billing Team

17. Please incorporate support for RHEL in Azure

Hi team,

At present, Azure does not support RHEL even though it supports other variants of Linux like CentOS. Please incorporate support for RHEL in Azure as it's one of the common Linux platform used across the globe.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. The new VM deployment is confusing to use

Deployment model? Pricing tier?
    These are confusing and would be better located as advanced settings.
    More common and logical is to jump from OS choice directly to VM deployment, like on AWS.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Why is it so hard to connect to a Azure VM I just created?

Why is it impossible to RDP into a brand new Azure VM I just created? I specified SysAdmin as the userid and a strong password when creating the new VM (using the VS 2015 on Windows 10 template) and now, no matter what I try, I cannot login to that VM.

I am extremely frustrated.

I have deleted and created the VM 3 times now and each time, when I try to login, it offers MicrosoftAccount\sysadmin as the userid, and I supply the password I gave when I created the VM, but it always says "The loon attempt failed".

What…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base