Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Increase Disk Size without Reboot

The need to shutdown a VM before increasing the size of a disk is just silly. This is a basic function of on prem hypervisors. This needs to be brought to the cloud ASAP. It's 2019....

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

2. Create an option to change a VM's availability set or availability zone in order to add it to a load balancer instead of having to delete it

It would be nice if there was an option to change a VM's availability set or availability zone in order to add it to a load balancer instead of having to delete it and recreate it in the availability zone. A feature to just reconfigure without deletion would save a lot of time and headaches.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

3. Effective route tables for VMSS

As confirmed by PG in Support case 119091125000146 there is no way to query the effective route table for a VMSS instance, thus leaving 100% VMSS based infrastructures completely blind.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

4. Should be able to copy snapshots between regions in Azure Portal

You have a powershell script to do this documented here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/scripts/virtual-machines-windows-powershell-sample-copy-snapshot-to-storage-account

However, it would be much more convenient if you exposed this functionality via the Azure Portal.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add the ability to sort/filter on Virtual machine STATUS in the portal

I want to be able to quickly determine which of my ~400 virtual machines are currently Running

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. The virtual machines of the B series do not inform about the bandwidth. All series report about bandwidth except type B machines. Accordin

The virtual machines of the B series do not inform about the bandwidth.

All series report about bandwidth except type B machines.

According to Microsoft they do not inform because it is a variant connection, but at least they should indicate the minimum and maximum.

As in all series in the NIC part, the bandwidth must also appear.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7. total and regional and vCPU

The total regional vCPUs should be increased similar way as for each individual SKUs via the Usage + quotas page.
    As total regional VCPUs is not the sum of each individual quotas, its increase is a separate request.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow a VM to be added to an availability set without recreating the VM

Currently after you have created a VM you are not able to add this to an existing or new availability set. It would be great if this was available function to be completed at any point during a VM's lifecycle.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. virtual machine (VM) - simple - snapshot/image

One of the best features about running a virtual machine is the ability to snapshot/image a running VM so that you can revert back to it in case of a misconfiguration or other issue that would be difficult to recover from.

This is also a great non-intrusive way to backup machines without pegging CPU cycles (driving up cloud hosting costs).

I was able to do this with VMs running in Rackspace cloud and I believe other cloud hosting providers allow it. Why not Azure? It would be very important.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. rename objects (affinity group, service bus, etc)

I hate how some types of objects can't be renamed.

Please let me rename things like Affinity Groups.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make it possible to download a compressed (zip?) vhd instead of the full vhd

Make it possible to download a compressed (zip?) vhd instead of the full vhd. Now I have to download the whole vhd and not just the bits that are actually used.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are thinking of enabling an easy way to download a dynamic VHD to reduce the download size, if that helps? Unfortunately, I don’t think VHD files compress that well.

12. Integrate VM Windows Updates with Availability Sets

I would like to turn on automatic updates for our Windows virtual machines running on Azure but we can't because they are not integrated with Availability Sets. That is, I cannot guarantee that another node won't be down (being moved by Azure, etc) when Automatic Updates kicks in.

Even as it is, when we manually install updates, there's nothing preventing Azure from taking down the other nodes in the Availability Set, because Azure does publish its maintenance window.

I would like to be able to let the Azure service control and install Windows / Microsoft updates with respect to Availability…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add support for running Custom Script Extension as another user

Add support for a credentials parameter on the Custom Script Extension. As of now CSE will only run under security context of local system.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Offer SMB 3.0 support for Windows 7 machines.

We need an update to enable SMB 3.0 support for Windows 7 machines. Older projects using NET USE scripts to attach to Azure storage can no longer access their containers.

Windows 7 machines that use to access the file shares in a storage account can no longer connect to file shares using the NET USE command. As a long time user of Azure it feels like Microsoft has left us behind. Upgrading all our users to win 10 is not an easy task..

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Low On Memory Error: Server 2016, B series

I just spun up a brand new Standard B1ms (1 vcpu, 2 GB memory), all I did was login to the VM and am getting out of memory errors (which would tell me windows server 2016 doesn't really support this level of VM size). Also it fails to retrieve updates - this is just a plain vanilla OOB/first run experience. Additionally you can't login and click the start button - you have to click it about 10 times to get the menu to pop up - this is probably more of a windows issue but I'd expect it to at…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16. ARM Portal: creating VMS using your own images or disks

In classic portal I can create VMs using an image that I created by a snapshot. In the new portal there is no such option. The only way is to switch back to the classic portal or using powershell.
    When deploying a virtual machine there is no option choosing your harddrives or your own images.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Provide Apache Camel components for your queue product and others

The Apache Camel framework is a popular and great product. Briefly, its purpose is to move enterprise messages across heterogenous protocols. Some people like me wish to move messages to and from many Azure services using Apache Camel.

As an example your competitor Amazon AWS already has these components. You can take inspiration from AWS.! See this link

http://camel.apache.org/components.html

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Give the ability to snapshot a VM

Want an easy way to snapshot a VM and restore to that point. The snapshot should capture all disks (except temporary storage) and provide an easy button poke to restore to that point as well.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. share disks between Virtual Machines

It would be nice a way to attach the same disk to multiple virtual machines. There are some products that need to write information in disk. To enable availability you add more virtual machines, but the product won't replicate information. To solve this, an easy way would be point Vm's to write and share the same disk.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Console access to Azure Virtual machines

Ability to access Azure Virtual machines via a management console, very helpful for quick access when troubleshooting and RDP is not working.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base