15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Item descriptions

Having the ability to add a description to a service or virtual machine would be a welcome addition.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. To obtain RDS SALs (Subscriber Access Licenses) through Azure Management Portal

For standard machines created from azure, believe it is more practical to obtain RDS SALs (Subscriber Access Licenses) through Azure Management Portal.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Granular Information about Azure Maintenance

Last week, I received a notification regarding Azure Maintenance that is scheduled starting 1st August - I have attached it here. The notification said "WestUS - First Half", "WestUS-Second Half" and so on. But currently, there seems to be no way of checking in which "Half" is our deployment. If this information is available on the portal in our subscription, it will help to identify when and how our services are going to be affected.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

thanks for the feedback. I am hoping that this is the last maintenance (after we go through all the regions) that will be split in half like this.

5. HTML5 RDP Access

We are in 2017. I want access to my VM in the browser. Downloading an RDP file is so 2007.

Dear Corey, do some magic and support HTML5 RDP access to my VM. One click and a new tab opens to my VM. Wow!

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Scale Set (VMSS) support for draining connections before destroying

When a VM scale set (VMSS) scales down, it needs to first take down the health probe and wait some period of time for connections to close before destruction.

Right now, how do you ensure a scale-down doesn't interrupt an active client connections to VMs that are being destroyed as part of the scale-down operation?

A first step might simply be providing a notification through the metadata service that destruction of the VM is scheduled (enabling us to handle taking down the health probe from inside the VM)

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add the ability to sort/filter on Virtual machine STATUS in the portal

I want to be able to quickly determine which of my ~400 virtual machines are currently Running

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Create or specify existing Network Interface during VM creation

When adding a new VM via the portal you specify a network and subnet and the portal generates a network interface on its own during creation. It would be nice if we could either specify the name of that network interface to be created or to specify an existing network interface to use. Another option would be to allow network interfaces to be renamed or edited after creation.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Captured VM images are not displayed in new portal.

I captured VM generalized images by sysprep using classic portal.
    But images are not displayed in new porta/ even though they are displayed in classic portal.
    I told it is bug of new portal from Microsoft Azure Support Engineer.
    By the way, customized images are displayed without any problem.
    Could you please fix it?

===Japanese version===
    クラシックポータルで仮想マシンの汎用化イメージをキャプチャしました。
    クラシックポータルでは、イメージが表示されますが、新ポータルでは表示されません。
    PowerShellの「Get-AzureVMImage -ImageName ***」でイメージが存在することは確認できています。
    新ポータルの不具合を修正していただけますでしょうか。

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Remove affinity group

Now that affinity groups are increasingly deprecated for some of their original purposes, it would be helpful to have an option to untangle existing items from an affinity group. In other words, I am looking for a way to delete an affinity group without deleting the items it contains (which would remain in the same region).

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Real Checkpoints - not VM Images

Checkpoints, as they are in Hyper-V and NOT VM Images as announced at Teched and already in production.

VM Images are not really the solution:

1. Amazon stores only the bits that have changed since the last snapshot, not again the whole machine.
    If a have a server with TBs of data and checkpoint the virtual machine, why should I have to pay for the storage twice?
    2. For a quick restore of the checkpoint, we would have to deploy the VM Image - no real solution in relation to how normal Hyper-V checkpoints work.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. share disks between Virtual Machines

It would be nice a way to attach the same disk to multiple virtual machines. There are some products that need to write information in disk. To enable availability you add more virtual machines, but the product won't replicate information. To solve this, an easy way would be point Vm's to write and share the same disk.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Provide a Notes section for virtual machine

It would be nice if we could have a Notes section on each virtual machine so that we note some comments on a machine (domain name, admin account, date of last backup...

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have considered this. I wonder whether a simple Key-Value tagging would meet your needs here? This is something in our plans.

14. Provide a simple portal where organisations can allow their employees to request VMs on their subscription at the click of a button

Azure is intimidating to non-technical people, but the potential for organisations to use it to host their employees computers is huge. They would no longer have to worry about buying hardware for their employees, dealing with it's depreciation or end of life disposal. At the same time, employees could then request a powerful VM from this Lite Portal in one click of a button for their work from their tablet, phone or laptop without needing to worry about the technical or financial complexity that currently exists with getting a VM on Azure.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Can you share a few more details on what you are thinking about here? Just a more simple version of the portal?

Corey

15. Reserved Instance for HDInsight

HDInsight machines are commonly used for long periods, it would be really great if we could apply reserved instances to these VMs.

It is more cost effective to spin a HDP cluster through the Azure marketplace (with reserved instances) and have an external company administrate this than use HDInsight. Which seems to defeat the objective.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Kind regards

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add support for running Custom Script Extension as another user

Add support for a credentials parameter on the Custom Script Extension. As of now CSE will only run under security context of local system.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. "Resource created"date stamp , "User Created" stamp

We have a tagging policy and we feed this into the azure EA to monitor all our resources , The only thing is that when the system grows so large we have resources that we don't know who created and when they created them . If we had the option to see who created a resource and when we could delete old resources in our sandbox environment or contact the person who created them.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow VM Extensions to communicate via 168.63.129.16 to Storage and Key Vault

Currently, VM Extensions require access to Azure Storage and/or Key Vault in order to function, and according to MS Support, this is achieved via the internet on port 443.

For IaaS solutions where generic internet traffic is blocked (which seems to be agreed best-practice) Custom Script deployments can occasionally fail, and all subsequent ARM deployments fail.

The 'solution' to allow port 443 traffic out of the VMs isn't a viable one for secure solutions, neither is white-listing the Storage and/or Key Vault URLs, being s that's not possible in Windows Firewall, NSGs, or Routing Tables, forcing the use of costly…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Support MSDN images (SharePoint, SQL Server, BizTalk, Dynamics) in Azure Resource Manager templates

Support MSDN images (SharePoint, SQL Server, BizTalk, Dynamics) in Azure Resource Manager templates for dev/test scenarios.

For example the following 3 VM SharePoint template: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-sharepoint-farm-azure-preview/ should be able to deploy using SQL and SharePoint images from MSDN, thus not attracting production licensing for dev scenarios.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. enable azure active directory as a domain controller for IaaS virtual machines.

Today for IaaS setup in Azure we need to deploy dedicated machines for Active Directory to get domain functionality. Can you enable IaaS VMs join to a Azure AD tenant within the same subscription ?

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base