Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow a VM to be added to an availability set without recreating the VM

Currently after you have created a VM you are not able to add this to an existing or new availability set. It would be great if this was available function to be completed at any point during a VM's lifecycle.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add a description for VM in the portal

Add a description of the VM that will show up on the dashboard while pinning a VM. we have 10 VMs and we would like to get a briefed idea of which one is which - name is not enough.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. ARM Portal: creating VMS using your own images or disks

In classic portal I can create VMs using an image that I created by a snapshot. In the new portal there is no such option. The only way is to switch back to the classic portal or using powershell.
    When deploying a virtual machine there is no option choosing your harddrives or your own images.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Provide Apache Camel components for your queue product and others

The Apache Camel framework is a popular and great product. Briefly, its purpose is to move enterprise messages across heterogenous protocols. Some people like me wish to move messages to and from many Azure services using Apache Camel.

As an example your competitor Amazon AWS already has these components. You can take inspiration from AWS.! See this link

http://camel.apache.org/components.html

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Give the ability to snapshot a VM

Want an easy way to snapshot a VM and restore to that point. The snapshot should capture all disks (except temporary storage) and provide an easy button poke to restore to that point as well.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. share disks between Virtual Machines

It would be nice a way to attach the same disk to multiple virtual machines. There are some products that need to write information in disk. To enable availability you add more virtual machines, but the product won't replicate information. To solve this, an easy way would be point Vm's to write and share the same disk.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Please keep "Red Hat Customer Portal" link in the Azure portal after restoring a VM

After restoring Azure Red Hat VM, "Red hat Customer Portal" link disappeared.
    Please keep "Red Hat Customer Portal" link in the Azure portal after restoring a VM. This link is really useful.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Item descriptions

Having the ability to add a description to a service or virtual machine would be a welcome addition.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add Hyper-V Replica for offsite backup

Allow us to send Replicas offsite for DR in case Azure goes down. Customers are not trusting cloud initiatives enough to move fully into the cloud without having an offsite backup.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Console access to Azure Virtual machines

Ability to access Azure Virtual machines via a management console, very helpful for quick access when troubleshooting and RDP is not working.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add support for running Custom Script Extension as another user

Add support for a credentials parameter on the Custom Script Extension. As of now CSE will only run under security context of local system.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. HTML5 RDP Access

We are in 2017. I want access to my VM in the browser. Downloading an RDP file is so 2007.

Dear Corey, do some magic and support HTML5 RDP access to my VM. One click and a new tab opens to my VM. Wow!

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. auto-startup

Currently there is the possibility to schedule auto-shutdown of VMs directly with the Auto-Shutdown blade. Why isn't there a similar blade for auto-startup? In addition of that for Auto-Shutdown and Auto-Startup if the schedule time can be scheduled not only as a single daily task but with more complex rule, example: from monday to friday, 9.00 18.00, weekend excluded or setting a scheduled date and time of shutdown, etc....

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Scale Set (VMSS) support for draining connections before destroying

When a VM scale set (VMSS) scales down, it needs to first take down the health probe and wait some period of time for connections to close before destruction.

Right now, how do you ensure a scale-down doesn't interrupt an active client connections to VMs that are being destroyed as part of the scale-down operation?

A first step might simply be providing a notification through the metadata service that destruction of the VM is scheduled (enabling us to handle taking down the health probe from inside the VM)

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add memory usage metric

I like to have memory usage metric in the VMs monitoring graphs

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. To obtain RDS SALs (Subscriber Access Licenses) through Azure Management Portal

For standard machines created from azure, believe it is more practical to obtain RDS SALs (Subscriber Access Licenses) through Azure Management Portal.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Granular Information about Azure Maintenance

Last week, I received a notification regarding Azure Maintenance that is scheduled starting 1st August - I have attached it here. The notification said "WestUS - First Half", "WestUS-Second Half" and so on. But currently, there seems to be no way of checking in which "Half" is our deployment. If this information is available on the portal in our subscription, it will help to identify when and how our services are going to be affected.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

thanks for the feedback. I am hoping that this is the last maintenance (after we go through all the regions) that will be split in half like this.

18. Allow parallel execution of RunCommand

Currently the Azure RunCommand only allows a single command to be executed at a time. It is also quite slow to start executing. It would be nice to have the command start executing faster and be able to run multiple commands in parallel.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Should be able to copy snapshots between regions in Azure Portal

You have a powershell script to do this documented here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/scripts/virtual-machines-windows-powershell-sample-copy-snapshot-to-storage-account

However, it would be much more convenient if you exposed this functionality via the Azure Portal.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Low On Memory Error: Server 2016, B series

I just spun up a brand new Standard B1ms (1 vcpu, 2 GB memory), all I did was login to the VM and am getting out of memory errors (which would tell me windows server 2016 doesn't really support this level of VM size). Also it fails to retrieve updates - this is just a plain vanilla OOB/first run experience. Additionally you can't login and click the start button - you have to click it about 10 times to get the menu to pop up - this is probably more of a windows issue but I'd expect it to at…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base