Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Force a memory dump for Azure VMs

I wish that force a memory dump method implement for Azure VMs; like "Debug-VM -InjectNonMaskableInterrupt". https://technet.microsoft.com/ja-jp/library/dn464280.aspx

30 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

triaged  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. [Request] Please enable users to configure VM reboot alert from Management Portal.

We can’t realize unexpected VM reboot before reporting the issue from users. Please enable users to configure VM reboot alert from Management Portal.
    Microsoft Azure has some VM monitoring feature, such as CPU, Disk I/O, Network I/O and Web Endpoint, but we can't use it for VM reboot alert. We can use third party tools or OS settings, but it isn't easy way.

• Japanese
      利用者からの報告の前に仮想マシンの予期せぬ再起動に気づくことができません。管理ポータルから仮想マシンの再起動時のアラートを設定できるようにしてほしいです。

仮想マシンの監視機能に、CPUや、ディスクI/O、ネットワークI/O、Web エンドポイントの監視がありますが、再起動のアラートに利用には利用できません。サードパーティのツールやOSの設定を利用することはできますが、容易ではありません。

30 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Retrieve VM internalUUID from REST API

Since http://azure.microsoft.com/blog/2014/10/13/accessing-and-using-azure-vm-unique-id/ ther's now there's now an Azure-unique UUID but you need to log into VM to get it.

It should be exposed in API (under RoleInstance entity?) so 3rd party integrations could identify uniquely VMs easily.

We've also missed a way in API to search for a certain VM without having to look in every cloud service. This unique UUID could be useful.

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Azure's status board availability

The Microsoft Azure status board should live outside Azure's ecosystem just because when there is a problem with some Azure´s service, the Microsoft Azure status page may not be available for the same issue.

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. add the ability to use preconfigure iso images like Amazon in VM role

Give the ability in VM role to use a preconfigure iso image, like the one Amazon has available.It will make easier to use and work with the VM role

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. VS 2010 Guest VM Role: Runs VSw/AzureTools: Allows sandbox development via RDP.

I'd like to deploy a special role that would provide me access to a endpoint I can connect to via Remote Desktop. When I login, I'd like a Virtual Visual Studio with Azure Tools, that has a XDrive (configured via configuration) so I can do all my Azure Development without ever having to install a thing. I'll pay monthly for the compute time I use developing, and the storage to keep my projects (via XDrive).

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. History of scheduled event

For the maintenance that doesn't require a reboot, customers can know it only through Scheduled Events API.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/maintenance-and-updates?toc=/azure/virtual-machines/linux/toc.json&bc=/azure/virtual-machines/linux/breadcrumb/toc.json#maintenance-that-doesnt-require-a-reboot

Several customer requests easier way to grasp the affected resources and that history (e.g. dashboard).

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Provide Cheaper N-Series VMs Via Less RAM/CPU

My specific situation with Azure necessitates high-bandwidth processing of many small tasks. As such, Azure's new GPU VMs (N-Series) sound great to my team, except we're not sure if we're paying for a Tesla M60 or for 56GB of RAM.

The point of GPUs in Azure is providing direct access to CUDA, and splitting processing into 4096 cores instead of 6. As such, a 6-core CPU and 56GB of RAM is highly unnecessary for the tasks I wish to execute on an NV6.

Microsoft, please provide other GPU instances that have the same amount of GPU power, but less RAM…

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. It would be great to have the possibility to choose SQL engine collation in Azure MarketPlace SQL VM images

It would be great to have the possibility to choose SQL engine collation in Azure MarketPlace SQL VM images

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow Azure Resource Move for Virtual Machines with Managed Disks

The idea is simple. Please allow Azure Resource Move for Virtual Machines with Managed Disks attached.

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Growing number of "Microsoft Hyper-V Network Adapters"

A VM is shut down and deallocated, a new network adapter will be used after it starts next time and the old network adapter is kept hidden.

When network adapter count is over 145, customer may face some network issue.
    <https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/e206ea0a-9d61-4380-99a5-1543a12a7234/growing-numbers-of-microsoft-hyperv-network-adapters-cause-problems?forum=WAVirtualMachinesforWindows>

I understand it is by design and we should delete hidden network adapter to resolve this issue.

However, when we deallocate and start VM because we need to reduce costs using Autoscale or automation or other, this behavior is very big problem.

I want to improve this behavior.

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. OpenBSD Virtual Machine

I would love to see an OpenBSD virtual machine, we use OpenBSD along side windows and would be interested in moving our entire cloud services to you if there was an OpenBSD virtual machine

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Ensure Virtual Machine GenerationID does not change over a Shut Down and Start pair of operations

Microsoft invented the VM GenerationID as a means of determining when an important VM transition event has occured. As per Microsoft's paper on the subject, the GenerationID of a guest should not change on restart or migrate operations. This works fine directly on Hyper-V, but an Azure managed VM will see a GenerationID change when the VM is Shut Down then Started (as two separate operations, a single 'Restart' operation does not change the GenerationID). Incidentally, the virtual SMBIOS UUID also changes during this operation, which is wrong too (SMBIOS UUID should change only on a clone operation).
    I imagine…

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Effective route tables for VMSS

As confirmed by PG in Support case 119091125000146 there is no way to query the effective route table for a VMSS instance, thus leaving 100% VMSS based infrastructures completely blind.

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

16. The virtual machines of the B series do not inform about the bandwidth. All series report about bandwidth except type B machines. Accordin

The virtual machines of the B series do not inform about the bandwidth.

All series report about bandwidth except type B machines.

According to Microsoft they do not inform because it is a variant connection, but at least they should indicate the minimum and maximum.

As in all series in the NIC part, the bandwidth must also appear.

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

17. Public IP Mapping on Nested VM!

We are working on Azure Public and checking nested VM for this we have created one instance "Standard E4s v3 (4 vcpus, 32 GB memory)". Hyper-V role has been installed successfully and also we have created 3 VMs successfully, now when we are setting networking for these created VM per MS KB "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/user-guide/nested-virtualization&quot; everything is working fine but our objective is still not getting solved with this.

We wanted to MAP a public IP on these VMs but per KB NAT is only solving purpose if we need to run internet only on created VMs or forwarding working…

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Should be able to copy snapshots between regions in Azure Portal

You have a powershell script to do this documented here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/scripts/virtual-machines-windows-powershell-sample-copy-snapshot-to-storage-account

However, it would be much more convenient if you exposed this functionality via the Azure Portal.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Clone complete Resource Group

For DEV/TEST/PROD environments, it would be great to have a the possibility to clone all resources within a resource group to a new one. (Public IP's and other unique resources will be an issue), but as far as the VM's are cloned, it would save A LOT of time!

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Install os on vm from file.iso

Definitely want to see this as the current procedure to create and upload VM's is not easy or user friendly.

Compared to the rest of the Azure platform this is a big let down. If you look at vCloud for instance the ability to upload an ISO or an OVA/F to build VM's makes my life as an admin much easier.

Please implement some form of ISO/OVA/OVF

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base