Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Change the default Azure temporary disk letter

Each Azure virtual machine comes by default with a Free and temporary drive, that is mounted in 'D:'
    We all whish that Microsoft gives us the possibility to choose the letter of this temporary drive before deploying the VM.
    Why ? Becasue the D: drive is the most used letter for data disks. This is a huge issue when migrating workloads from on-prem to Azure, and this is a real limitation.
    I know there is a workaround to change the letter, but in case of unplanned fail over or host change, the temporary drive will be assigned the 'D:' drive,…

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

2. to enable PPTP from Azure VM to on prem servers.

PPTP is a commonly used VPN protocol, hence it would be good to have it enabled in order to allow connections from Azure VMs to on premise systems.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. make installation media available (mount an .iso) for those of us that use Azure VMs

Occasionally we need access to the source media to access scripts or files on our VMs. I recently ran into this issue while following this MSDN article ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn486787.aspx ) while setting up an ADFS farm. There is literally no way forward without the installation media.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks! This is something we are considering as we add enhancements to auto-configuration. You may be able to do this using Azure Files, today.

4. Virtual Machine Console Access Part Deux

The previous post suggesting the addition of basic VM functionality was inappropriately marked "completed" serial console was added.

The serial console is better than nothing, but just barely, and was not at all what was being requested by that post.

What we need is a equivalent of the VMware Remote Console.

Previous post: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/216843-virtual-machines/suggestions/3761826-virtual-machine-console-access

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

5. Make Three Fault Domains the minimum configuration of an Availability Set

When deploying SQL Server AlwaysOn AG or FCI for high availability, you need to ensure that you always have a majority of cluster votes online. In order to do this you need to ensure that each cluster node and the file share witness reside in different fault domains. A two node cluster needs a minimum of three Fault Domains. However, Azure currently only guarantees two Fault Domains per Availability Set. This is inadequate due to the fact that the failure of a single Fault Domain will bring down your entire cluster if two of cluster votes reside in that Fault…

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Increase IdleTimeoutInMinutes to 60 minutes

We currently use multiple load balanced VM's using "InProc" session state. The maximum IdleTimeoutInMinutes is currently set at 30 minutes. We would like to see the IdleTimeoutInMinutes be increased to 60 minutes to allow for the session not to timeout.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Provide a way to run Mac Based remote build agents for Xamarin/ Multi-Device Hybrid Apps extension for Visual Studio

Enable developers to run Mac Based iOS build agents such as Multi-Device Hybrid Apps extension for Visual Studio http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn771551.aspx I currently use Macincloud.com or my own Mac but would love to do this on Azure.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. vCloud / vRealize Automation compatibility

We use VMware vCloud Automation Center / vRealize Automaton for our private cloud self-service portal. We want to allow our end users to deploy VM's to Azure but this is not out of the box functionality. I hope MS and VMware can work together on a connector endpoint to make this possible. It would really go a long way to make Azure usage skyrocket if other cloud management software could deploy to Azure services more easily.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add ability to set VM resolution on creation

VM resolution by default is 1024 x 768

We use the VM's to run automation on a desktop application which requires a larger resolution to appear correctly.

Please add the ability to set a default resolution on creation.

Appreciate there are still limits on a VM resolution but should allow the freedom we need upto the limits.

We currently use a workaround with RDPwrap but this is far from ideal and does not work in all circumstances.

Providing the requested feature would eliminate a huge pain point and provide a much needed improvement to our user experience.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11. Docker private registry offer on Azure

It would be great to see an Azure offering for hosting/managing private Docker registries.

Motivation: getting up and running with Docker on Azure in a fast and safe way (high availability, valid SSL certificate out of the box, etc.).

Similar offers elsewhere: Container Registry (https://cloud.google.com/container-registry/), Amazon EC2 Container Registry (https://aws.amazon.com/ecr/).

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Force a memory dump for Azure VMs

I wish that force a memory dump method implement for Azure VMs; like "Debug-VM -InjectNonMaskableInterrupt". https://technet.microsoft.com/ja-jp/library/dn464280.aspx

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

triaged  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Microsoft Antimalware for Azure Needs a GUI for Monitoring and Management

I have been researching the Microsoft Antimalware for Azure which is currently in preview. I think that the idea behind this product is fantastic. There was a real gap in the market for customers who want to run VMs on Microsoft Azure. So I am glad to see that Microsoft is offering a service which addresses the need to protect Azure VMs from viruses.

Unfortunately, the current release of Microsoft Antimalware for Azure is extremely difficult to deploy, configure, and manage. The main reason for this is the lack of any UI for the administrator or end user. To do…

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Azure's status board availability

The Microsoft Azure status board should live outside Azure's ecosystem just because when there is a problem with some Azure´s service, the Microsoft Azure status page may not be available for the same issue.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. VS 2010 Guest VM Role: Runs VSw/AzureTools: Allows sandbox development via RDP.

I'd like to deploy a special role that would provide me access to a endpoint I can connect to via Remote Desktop. When I login, I'd like a Virtual Visual Studio with Azure Tools, that has a XDrive (configured via configuration) so I can do all my Azure Development without ever having to install a thing. I'll pay monthly for the compute time I use developing, and the storage to keep my projects (via XDrive).

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. safemode for azure VM

How do boot my Azure VM in safemode? i can see VM's can connect only using RDP sessions.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. [Request] Please enable users to configure VM reboot alert from Management Portal.

We can’t realize unexpected VM reboot before reporting the issue from users. Please enable users to configure VM reboot alert from Management Portal.
    Microsoft Azure has some VM monitoring feature, such as CPU, Disk I/O, Network I/O and Web Endpoint, but we can't use it for VM reboot alert. We can use third party tools or OS settings, but it isn't easy way.

• Japanese
      利用者からの報告の前に仮想マシンの予期せぬ再起動に気づくことができません。管理ポータルから仮想マシンの再起動時のアラートを設定できるようにしてほしいです。

仮想マシンの監視機能に、CPUや、ディスクI/O、ネットワークI/O、Web エンドポイントの監視がありますが、再起動のアラートに利用には利用できません。サードパーティのツールやOSの設定を利用することはできますが、容易ではありません。

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Retrieve VM internalUUID from REST API

Since http://azure.microsoft.com/blog/2014/10/13/accessing-and-using-azure-vm-unique-id/ ther's now there's now an Azure-unique UUID but you need to log into VM to get it.

It should be exposed in API (under RoleInstance entity?) so 3rd party integrations could identify uniquely VMs easily.

We've also missed a way in API to search for a certain VM without having to look in every cloud service. This unique UUID could be useful.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. add the ability to use preconfigure iso images like Amazon in VM role

Give the ability in VM role to use a preconfigure iso image, like the one Amazon has available.It will make easier to use and work with the VM role

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Provide Cheaper N-Series VMs Via Less RAM/CPU

My specific situation with Azure necessitates high-bandwidth processing of many small tasks. As such, Azure's new GPU VMs (N-Series) sound great to my team, except we're not sure if we're paying for a Tesla M60 or for 56GB of RAM.

The point of GPUs in Azure is providing direct access to CUDA, and splitting processing into 4096 cores instead of 6. As such, a 6-core CPU and 56GB of RAM is highly unnecessary for the tasks I wish to execute on an NV6.

Microsoft, please provide other GPU instances that have the same amount of GPU power, but less RAM…

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base