Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Impossible to filter the Azure REST API SKU information

When query the Azure REST API to retrieve SKU information with the following URL
    https://management.azure.com/subscriptions/{SubscriptionId}/providers/Microsoft.Compute/skus?api-version=2017-09-01
    This query currently return around of 574000 lines and 6,18 Mb.
    This API query can't be used as a dataSourceBinding in a DevOps task definition, because a response size limitation exists.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Dedicated Instances

Amazon AWS has the option to have Dedicated Instances for an increased charge, which means your VMs run on single tenant hardware instead of being shared with other Amazon customers. I suggest that Microsoft needs to add this feature to Azure. We have customers demanding that our service be run in an environment not shared by others. Here is the link to the Amazon offering for comparison purposes.

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/purchasing-options/dedicated-instances/

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Scheduled start/stops of VMs

Add a feature to Azure that allows the user to schedule a VM to start and/or stop at a certain date and time. This feature should be similar to a scheduled task in Windows.

If it's possible to do this with a scheduled task and some PowerShell scripts/cmdlets, let me know. But I do not think that would be as optimal as having this feature built into Azure because Azure frequently takes 15 minutes to allocate hardware to a VM before starting it up.

Ideally, an Azure management portal interface would allow the user to pick a time to start…

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. USB devices are not supported in Azure VMs

USB devices, like flash drives or hardware security dongles, would be useful to have present in the remote VMs. For example, support for dongle-controlled security for applications would then be possible.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Start / Stop VM Permission

We need a Group with nearly the same permissions like the "Virtual Machine Contributor" but WITHOUT the delete Option.
    Additionally it would be nice if there is a way to pin the following shortcuts to the users Start Menu:
    START VM xy
    STOP VM xy
    so that the user is not forced to navigate into the VM-Overview before turning on / off a VM.

An ON/OFF TOGGLE - Switch would be the best way for me.

We need this option, for some of our employees so that they can turn on and off their specific eviroment with less clicks as…

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow to create VM without starting it immediatelly

Sometimes I want to create VM and immediatelly set additional configuration like attachng additional disk, set static IP via powersell. Today when I create it I need to wait for it to be provisioned/started, then shutdown it and wait and finally I can do some additional settings. Also when recreating deleted VMs which had previously attached disks (SQL server, domain controller) it first starts with disks missing which can even break stuff. Please add additional checkbox/flag to portal/powershell when creating VM so that it is not started/provisioned immediatelly.

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Enalbe SQL Server Edition Upgrade when paying by the minute in Azure VM

When SQL Server is purchased as part of an Azure VM and a subscription is setup to pay for SQL Server & the VM by the minute, it is not possible to upgrade the SQL Server Edition. The entire VM must be rebuilt which, while possible, can be very time consuming.

Request is to allow SQL Server edition upgrades within Azure VMs when paying by the minute for service. For example, a VM may be initially built with SQL Server Standard edition. This is my situation. I now have the need to use an enterprise edition feature (data driven SSRS…

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make Three Fault Domains the minimum configuration of an Availability Set

When deploying SQL Server AlwaysOn AG or FCI for high availability, you need to ensure that you always have a majority of cluster votes online. In order to do this you need to ensure that each cluster node and the file share witness reside in different fault domains. A two node cluster needs a minimum of three Fault Domains. However, Azure currently only guarantees two Fault Domains per Availability Set. This is inadequate due to the fact that the failure of a single Fault Domain will bring down your entire cluster if two of cluster votes reside in that Fault…

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. to enable PPTP from Azure VM to on prem servers.

PPTP is a commonly used VPN protocol, hence it would be good to have it enabled in order to allow connections from Azure VMs to on premise systems.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. longer name length limit > 15

15 length limitation is too short.
    We need more!

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow Virtual Machine's to be provisioned by providing a URL to a .OVA file

Virtual Machine's could be provisioned by providing a URL to .OVA file or other VM file formats.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add outbound security rule to Windows Update

Windows Update uses a lot of IP addres ranges which also vary. On Azure servers I do want to use Windows Update but block all other internet access. Would it be possible to create a service "Window Update" on Azure Network Security Groups for outbound security rules. Service would allow access to all needed Windows Update servers and ports.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. vCloud / vRealize Automation compatibility

We use VMware vCloud Automation Center / vRealize Automaton for our private cloud self-service portal. We want to allow our end users to deploy VM's to Azure but this is not out of the box functionality. I hope MS and VMware can work together on a connector endpoint to make this possible. It would really go a long way to make Azure usage skyrocket if other cloud management software could deploy to Azure services more easily.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Set Locale on creating VM

Most people in the world do not use en-US as their locale which means the passwords they create on their own machine do not function as expected when on the VM as the VM interprets the keyboard layout into en-US. Even en-GB has problems where the @ is created using a different shift-key combination.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. make installation media available (mount an .iso) for those of us that use Azure VMs

Occasionally we need access to the source media to access scripts or files on our VMs. I recently ran into this issue while following this MSDN article ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn486787.aspx ) while setting up an ADFS farm. There is literally no way forward without the installation media.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks! This is something we are considering as we add enhancements to auto-configuration. You may be able to do this using Azure Files, today.

16. Flexible instance size

Right now, I can't increase only memory amount.
    If I want more, I need to switch from Small Instance to Medium Instance (for example).

But there are cases that I just want more memory, let's say from 1.75GB to 3GB. It will be nice if I could attach more memory, in a way close to the "attach disk to VM".

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Increase IdleTimeoutInMinutes to 60 minutes

We currently use multiple load balanced VM's using "InProc" session state. The maximum IdleTimeoutInMinutes is currently set at 30 minutes. We would like to see the IdleTimeoutInMinutes be increased to 60 minutes to allow for the session not to timeout.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Docker private registry offer on Azure

It would be great to see an Azure offering for hosting/managing private Docker registries.

Motivation: getting up and running with Docker on Azure in a fast and safe way (high availability, valid SSL certificate out of the box, etc.).

Similar offers elsewhere: Container Registry (https://cloud.google.com/container-registry/), Amazon EC2 Container Registry (https://aws.amazon.com/ecr/).

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Provide a way to run Mac Based remote build agents for Xamarin/ Multi-Device Hybrid Apps extension for Visual Studio

Enable developers to run Mac Based iOS build agents such as Multi-Device Hybrid Apps extension for Visual Studio http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn771551.aspx I currently use Macincloud.com or my own Mac but would love to do this on Azure.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. auto-start in Azure

We have auto start in dev test labs can this feature be added to azure for VMs

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base