Virtual Machines

How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to mount a blob or virtual disk as an iSCSI device

Either blobs or virtual disks should be mountable as as an iSCSI device. Right now, I'd have to create a windows server with an iSCSI target. This seems like madness because the blob is already some kind of virtual device.

iSCSI is ideal for clustering and availability services and would solve problems with SQL Server clusters and other Windows Server cluster requirements.

102 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to migrate VMs with managed disks between subscriptions

Ability to migrate VMs with managed disks between subscriptions

I just spent a week building out a new IaaS based infrastructure (lots of VM's, load balancers, SQL AOAG cluster) under an ARM model and managed disks - only to find that migration of VMs with managed disks to another subscription is not yet supported.

I hope someone from the Azure management team understands why traditional IaaS infrastructures might begin under a test/dev subscription and then (when proved out and ready to run) – might be migrated to an Enterprise subscription. If and operations team attempts to use the latest technology…

98 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support Direct Access in Azure

Today it is not supported to use the Remote Access Role in a Windows Server in Azure. It would be a great Feature, if Clients Can connect via Direct Access to Azure Ressources

90 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow provisioned VM pricing to be altered to add software licensing without reprovisioning

As an Azure VM user/administrator, I would like to be able to take an existing VM priced at one rate, and "upgrade" the pricing to include licensing for products installed after provisioning. I would like this to provide flexibility (e.g., if I want to install SQL Server on a Windows priced VM, without losing install/configuration work already undertaken on that VM and without independently licensing SQL; or if I want to add BizTalk to a Win/SQL-priced VM). I would also like this to allow simplified compliance (e.g., a Windows-priced VM is found to have SQL Server installed after provisioning), to…

89 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Host reboots without VM reboot

In the last 3 months Azure had rebooted VMs almost in 15 instances, and most of them are because of a bug, for a cloud concentric company this is unacceptable-- why is it not possible to fix the bug without rebooting VMs? Moving to cloud from on-premise was supposed to reduce hands on involvement and reduce costs-- neither of which are happening here. Can you please provide an answer as to when we can expect a solution where your customers VMs dont get rebooted randomly?

86 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 86 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow rename of network interface resources

When creating a VM in the Azure Portal using the ARM deployment model, the network interface is labeled with the hostname + a 5 digit random? number.

I haven’t found a way to change this in the Portal.

In case a customer would prefer to use their own naming convention for interface resources, like <hostname>-ifc, can we consider adding this option to the Azure Portal?

I realize there is likely a way to do this already with ARM templates and PowerShell based deployments, but having this feature also available in the GUI would provide some added flexibility for new customers…

84 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Shrink Managed disk

I'd like the ability to shrink a managed disk.

I'm creating a managed image from a marketplace windows server base, installing a bunch of third party software and using DevTest labs and VSTS to automate the build of a base image that I use for a large number of VM deployments.

The managed disks created from my image are 128gb of which I use about 40gb. I'd like to shrink the managed disk used in the image to 64gb so the VMs I deploy from my image fit in the S6 managed disk pricing bracket.

83 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support upgrading existing Azure VM with Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2016

How do I go about upgrading existing Azure VM with Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2016? It seems like a big issue for many companies for adopting Windows Server 2016 in Microsoft Azure.

"Microsoft server software support for Microsoft Azure virtual machines" article still states "Microsoft does not support an upgrade of the operating system of a Microsoft Azure virtual machine. Instead, you should create a new Azure virtual machine that is running the supported version of the operating system that is required and then migrate the workload."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2721672/microsoft-server-software-support-for-microsoft-azure-virtual-machines

Please support this scenario. Thanks

82 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Adding existing ARM virtual machine to availability set

Adding existing ARM virtual machine to availability set. I can't do much with certain setups cause they have to be in an availability set and I cant add them to one after they have been created.

73 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Mounting BLOB storage in file system like NFS

I just would like to mount a BLOB storage directory in a Linux file system like it was an NFS drive. Thanks to FUSE, a userlevel driver can be made to share files across machines.

Currently, if you need to share files between VMs you have to set up SAMBA or NFS having a "master" node that holds the main copy of the files, and other VMs mount these shares in their file systems.

Proposal: "see" a BLOB storage directory like a directory in the main file system. This idea can be extended to Windows VMs using shared folders

73 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Simplify creation and visualization of Azure VNET's

Creating a virtual network that spans an on-premise deployment and more than 1 Azure datacenter is a pain and not easy to "see" if all thing are lined up correctly. Building a network like this shouldn't require importing or exporting files and running powershell commands if you don't want to. Would be great it was like using Visio (Drag, Drop, Pipe). Then use that same view to see the overall health, speed, and usage in real time on that network.

68 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make the timeout period for the DSC VM extension configurable

Currently I am deploying a lab environment using ARM and DSC. The deployment includes an unattended installation of SQL server, which takes a lot of time. This means that most of the time the DSC VM extension times out after 90 minutes and gives an error while the DSC configuration will complete successfully a few minutes later. It would help if I could set the timeout for the extension myself.

65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. subdomain cloudapp.net (etc.) rather than having a global namespace

It would be nice to be able to not have to use globally unique server / service / website names. It would be cool to have the ability to tie an extra level of subdomain to each of the various parts of Azure. This would mean I could do: web01.foocorp.cloudapp.net etc.

65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Linux Gentoo image (VHD) by Microsoft

Add Gentoo Linux support.

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. add the ability to create a VM and install an OS (Linux/Windows) from an .ISO

It would be great to be able to stand up a VM w/ my hardware requirements and mount an .iso of the OS that I want to install. This is how Hyper V and vCenter works. We would upload the OS .ISO to a datastore, give the new VM access to the indicated datastore, and use the .ISO that is on the datastore as a bootable OS.

This way we could install custom linux OS's or other versions of windows (e.g. server 2008 R2 Standard x64)

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. search by ip

It would be nice to search/filter virtual machines in the azure portal by IP number

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Capability to capture ARM VM using portal

There is an easy way to capture classic VM using Azure portal.

The ask is to provide the capture feature for ARM image, in new portal.

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Provide a Reverse Proxy for Virtual Machines

Providing a reverse proxy function within Azure would go a long way to help secure Virtual Machines. Instead of opening ports to every VM, a reverse proxy would allow users to open ports to an Azure service. The proxy service would then differentiate incoming traffic based on DNS name.

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add the ability to change the "Azure Host Name" of a VM in the portal.

Changing the hostname of a vm within the system properties does not change the Azure Host Name found in the Azure portal. At this time there is no way of changing the name without deleting the vm, keeping the disks, and attaching them to a new vm with the name you want to change it to.

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base