Virtual Machines

How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make Ubuntu VM NVMe storage mounting more robust

I experience periodically that, when I start a storage-optimized Ubuntu VM (size L32s), the NVMe disk is not mounted. When I try `sudo mount /mnt`, I get: `mount: /mnt: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.` and no obvious way to fix this. Other times, the machine starts and the disk is mounted fine. No obvious pattern. Please make mounting more robust.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create way to do adhoc backup policy to create an image of VM and name the policy or image.

I have done a lengthy install on RHEL 7 VM in which I would like to create an image as a new starting point. The next install I will be doing requires all these dependencies and it's very time consuming. I can go and do a backup and restore of the VM of a given date but there is no way to do an adhoc backup and call that my "gold image" or some unique name so I"ll know that's my starting point. I guess I could use clonezilla, kickstart or docker to create the image but it would be…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Allow setting dns name server at VM provision time

Allow setting dns name server at VM provision time. On Linux VMs it is currently necessary to modify the /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf to supersede the reddog.microsoft.com search domain that gets set by Azure. Being able to configure this at provision would make the DHCP/DNS process moer similar to the way AWS and GKE provision their VMs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Auto-mount file share when storage access keys are refreshed

Currently, to mount azure file share on Linux VM, we use mount command provide storage access key. If someone refresh their storage access keys, they need to un-mount the file share and then re-mount it. There should be an easier approach to handle this scenario. This become pain when you have auto-refresh policy in your organization.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Want to "azure linux" similar to "amazon linux".

We need Linux distro more integrated to Azure.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. beginning Azure, stumbling trying to invoke basic commands on Ubunto virtual machine

hi, My free Azure is running. I started a Ubunto virtual machine. I click the "greater than" cursor symbol, to start up the command line. The blue screen at the bottom of the browser opens. ls command works!
    1. why do I get an error when running ifcongig?
    2. why do I get an error attempting to run apt-get update?
    3. should Get-NetIPConfiguration be working in powershell to an Ubunto machine?

PS Azure:\> ifconfig
    ifconfig : The term 'ifconfig' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.
    Check the spelling of the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Linux Kernel 3.10.0-957.5.1.el7 networking problem

I recently updated a CentOS machine with the mentioned kernel and networking things went wrong after upgrade. Some packets couldn't be delivered to application layer of OS and left without any reply.

Jointly with the help of support persons, we found the problem is the kernel version and I downgraded it to 862 and it works fine back.

I tested that kernel in other environments than Azure and all other environments I tested work fine. At lease 2 environments, one another public cloud and one on-premise virtualization.

I think some things are going wrong with Azure virtualization and I suggest…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Missing GPU after reboot

I using Standard NC24rs_v3 (24 vcpus, 448 GB memory) size VMs with the ``data science virtual machine'' image in Azure. It works fine at the first times with 4 GPUs. But if I rebooted the VM, nvidia-smi can only find 1 GPU. I had to recreate a new VM again and again. I think this's a bug about the cuda driver.

I used the following commands to install CUDA 10.

sudo apt-get -y remove --purge nvidia*
    sudo apt-get -y autoremove
    mkdir ~/tmp
    cd ~/tmp
    wget https://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/ubuntu1604/x86_64/cuda-repo-ubuntu1604_10.0.130-1_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i cuda-repo-ubuntu1604_10.0.130-1_amd64.deb
    sudo apt-key adv --fetch-keys http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/ubuntu1604/x86_64/7fa2af80.pub
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. add instructions for uploading local files to new VM

one of the first things a new VM user might need to do is upload files to the new VM. I had to dig deep and succeeded only in setting up RDP (by installing Xrdp on the vm); but that option has two problems:
    1) this works only with a password (so don't deploy the vm with the default azureuser and key)
    2) setting RDP to include local files does not give permission the logged on user to access the local files

the workaround for 1 if you setup azureuser with a key is to add a user with a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. AAD Integrated login for Linux should copy files from /etc/skel on first login

Upon first login to a Linux VM using an AAD account, the files in /etc/skel, or the location stored in the SKEL variable in /etc/default/useradd, should be copied in the newly-created /home/$newuser directory. This worked correctly for a locally-created account on the same VM.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. add python3 and pip3 to yum

I just created a new virtual server and for some reason can only get python 2.7

please make python3 and pip3 available through "yum install"

I tried installing python33 through yum because it seemed as close to python3 as it gets, but that didn't help.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. you should check into how AWS and GCP implement cloud-init on exiting VMs. it's very easy, very quick and doesn't require all Azure steps.

you should check into how AWS and GCP implement cloud-init on exiting VMs. it's very easy, very quick and doesn't require all Azure steps.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Azure Policy to audits applications installed inside Linux virtual machines

I went through this article: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/updates/azure-policy-now-audits-applications-installed-inside-virtual-machines/

However, this feature is only for Windows servers. Can we have a same feature for Linux servers as well?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Usage of RunShellScript should be logged and even notified

As RunShellScript allows for root access, it may be potentially abused and ought to be logged if it is being utilised. Perhaps there should even be a notification if it gets utilised

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/linux/run-command

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Linux PerfInsights

There needs to be a page outlining the use for Linux PerfInsights! Azure does not have anything pointing to this tool and it needs it dearly!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Should be possible on Linux DSVMs to allow for inbound traffic on Jupyter Notebook ports

On Linux DSVMs, users report that they cannot allow for inbound traffic on Jupyter Notebook ports. From port 8888 up, they are not able to connect from any browser from the IP of FQDN address of the VM. On Linux DSVMs, it should be possible to allow for inbound traffic on Jupyter notebook ports (Port 8888 and up).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Need a way to disable Linux VM 'RunShellScript' feature.

Need a way to disable Linux VM 'RunShellScript' feature.

We want to provide a Linux based Appliance on Azure.

We provide an application oriented shell CLI, but do not to provide root shell access to avoid tinkering and tampering, which makes support difficult.

We've already had to write code to remove the root sudo access that is automatically given to the users account(s).

There is now the 'RunShellScript' feature which runs any commands as root. This does not even use the users account, it goes straight in a root. There needs to be a way to disable this, probably at…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Speedup installing .net core SDK on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

I follow the steps to install dotnetcore on Ubuntu 16.04. This lines shows

Installation Note
    --------------
    A command will be run during the install process that will improve project restore speed and enable offline access. It will take up to a minute to complete.

After ~10-15 minutes it completes with the message Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu10) ...

The screenshot clearly shows the activity. The install was started around 4:45 PM

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection extension

Please have an extension for Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection for Linux VM's so that Linux VM's could be onboarded to an ATP workspace directly from the Azure portal?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Invisible Icons

After following the instructions from the article, I am able to setup and connect with RDP. Thank you. However, I cannot see the icons of the apps as shown attachments. Why did this happen?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base