Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. creation of public private key pairs on the portal

When deploying a new Linux based VM, create a shortcut to create a SSH keypair and download the private/public key straight from the portal... saves downloading puttygen or similar..

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

2. I suggest you make Azure less complicated

, let users supply their own iso's with simple user interface and let users deploy their linux vm with a simple user interface like the way vmware is setup. I dont have to pick a group or container, I don't need this or that I just need the vmware software and an iso. That's why Linux and Microsoft have had such a difficult history of co op, linux is simple and straight forward little bells and whistles, Microsoft just adds layer and layer and layers of junk.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

3. (Linux + d2_v2 + dedicated) Why not on Azure China ?

This link could lead you to think we may have it.
    https://docs.azure.cn/zh-cn/virtual-machines/linux/
    The same way we have it with Azure Global.
    But no! Why is that Microsoft cannot have a standard offer and impose its subcontractors (here 21Vianet) to match the Standard?
    My coffees at Starbucks and Costa in Shanghai respect the respective standards.
    Thank you to urge this matter as we are now forced to consider AWS just to host our VMs with Ubuntu.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Requesting to consider and develop option to migrate the inplace os upgrade for both Linux and Windows. For Example RHEL 6.x to 7.x etc...

Requesting to consider and develop option to migrate the inplace os upgrade for both Linux and Windows. For Example RHEL 6.x to 7.x etc...

This is a genric future plan or view any clients would have and this blockage in cloud is some way blocking the plans for few clients.

Please consider.
    JD
    jayadeava.b@tcs.com

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Allow encrypted Linux OS disk settings to persist through generalization and image creation

Allow Linux encrypted OS disk settings to persist through generalization and image creation to avoid having to wait hours or days for a new virtual machine to be encrypted after deployment.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6. In order to bring your own linux license, Linux VM has to be built from command line, instead of GUI.

Microsoft should have better communication to let end-user know it.
    Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Ephemeral OS disk for B-Series SKUs

We need Ephemeral OS disks for B-Series SKUs. We use B-Series SKUs extensively in our labs while production deployments mostly use E(S)_v3 and D(S)_v2/3 SKUs.

With the current limitation, we can't deploy Ephemeral OS disks in our production deployments as we can't test them in our labs without incurring significant cost for using the more expensive D/E SKUs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. The monitoring of blob-fuse mounted on Linux server through azure OMS

How to alert on unmounted blob fuse drive on linux VM though OMS monitoring solution.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 'AADLoginForLinux' extension should create an AAD device

AADLoginForLinux extension should create an AAD device so there isn't any hard dependency on realmd.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. New-AzureRmVm ` -ResourceGroupName "MyResourceGroup" ` -Name "TestVm" ` -Image "UbuntuLTS" ...

New-AzureRmVm `
    -ResourceGroupName "MyResourceGroup" `
    -Name "TestVm" `
    -Image "UbuntuLTS"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Make Ubuntu VM NVMe storage mounting more robust

I experience periodically that, when I start a storage-optimized Ubuntu VM (size L32s), the NVMe disk is not mounted. When I try `sudo mount /mnt`, I get: `mount: /mnt: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.` and no obvious way to fix this. Other times, the machine starts and the disk is mounted fine. No obvious pattern. Please make mounting more robust.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Create way to do adhoc backup policy to create an image of VM and name the policy or image.

I have done a lengthy install on RHEL 7 VM in which I would like to create an image as a new starting point. The next install I will be doing requires all these dependencies and it's very time consuming. I can go and do a backup and restore of the VM of a given date but there is no way to do an adhoc backup and call that my "gold image" or some unique name so I"ll know that's my starting point. I guess I could use clonezilla, kickstart or docker to create the image but it would be…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow setting dns name server at VM provision time

Allow setting dns name server at VM provision time. On Linux VMs it is currently necessary to modify the /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf to supersede the reddog.microsoft.com search domain that gets set by Azure. Being able to configure this at provision would make the DHCP/DNS process moer similar to the way AWS and GKE provision their VMs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Auto-mount file share when storage access keys are refreshed

Currently, to mount azure file share on Linux VM, we use mount command provide storage access key. If someone refresh their storage access keys, they need to un-mount the file share and then re-mount it. There should be an easier approach to handle this scenario. This become pain when you have auto-refresh policy in your organization.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Want to "azure linux" similar to "amazon linux".

We need Linux distro more integrated to Azure.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. beginning Azure, stumbling trying to invoke basic commands on Ubunto virtual machine

hi, My free Azure is running. I started a Ubunto virtual machine. I click the "greater than" cursor symbol, to start up the command line. The blue screen at the bottom of the browser opens. ls command works!
    1. why do I get an error when running ifcongig?
    2. why do I get an error attempting to run apt-get update?
    3. should Get-NetIPConfiguration be working in powershell to an Ubunto machine?

PS Azure:\> ifconfig
    ifconfig : The term 'ifconfig' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.
    Check the spelling of the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Linux Kernel 3.10.0-957.5.1.el7 networking problem

I recently updated a CentOS machine with the mentioned kernel and networking things went wrong after upgrade. Some packets couldn't be delivered to application layer of OS and left without any reply.

Jointly with the help of support persons, we found the problem is the kernel version and I downgraded it to 862 and it works fine back.

I tested that kernel in other environments than Azure and all other environments I tested work fine. At lease 2 environments, one another public cloud and one on-premise virtualization.

I think some things are going wrong with Azure virtualization and I suggest…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Missing GPU after reboot

I using Standard NC24rs_v3 (24 vcpus, 448 GB memory) size VMs with the ``data science virtual machine'' image in Azure. It works fine at the first times with 4 GPUs. But if I rebooted the VM, nvidia-smi can only find 1 GPU. I had to recreate a new VM again and again. I think this's a bug about the cuda driver.

I used the following commands to install CUDA 10.

sudo apt-get -y remove --purge nvidia*
    sudo apt-get -y autoremove
    mkdir ~/tmp
    cd ~/tmp
    wget https://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/ubuntu1604/x86_64/cuda-repo-ubuntu1604_10.0.130-1_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i cuda-repo-ubuntu1604_10.0.130-1_amd64.deb
    sudo apt-key adv --fetch-keys http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/ubuntu1604/x86_64/7fa2af80.pub
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. add instructions for uploading local files to new VM

one of the first things a new VM user might need to do is upload files to the new VM. I had to dig deep and succeeded only in setting up RDP (by installing Xrdp on the vm); but that option has two problems:
    1) this works only with a password (so don't deploy the vm with the default azureuser and key)
    2) setting RDP to include local files does not give permission the logged on user to access the local files

the workaround for 1 if you setup azureuser with a key is to add a user with a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. AAD Integrated login for Linux should copy files from /etc/skel on first login

Upon first login to a Linux VM using an AAD account, the files in /etc/skel, or the location stored in the SKEL variable in /etc/default/useradd, should be copied in the newly-created /home/$newuser directory. This worked correctly for a locally-created account on the same VM.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base