Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. NC Series GPU VMs in East US 2

Please make the GPU NC series VMs accessible in the East US 2 data center. Other features are available in this data center that we need but not in East US 1

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. notify customers of waagent updates that that are necessary to keep old vms working properly with azure fabric

We have been bitten many times by waagent / azure fabric upgrades that cause the networking or other fabric related functionalities to fail as a result of outdated versions of waagent. It would be prudent on Microsofts part to alert customers in some manner, whether it be email or the portal, of such changes for vm's that may be affected by an upgrade to either of these pieces.

Without any sort of bi-directional console, rebooting a server and not having it come back up due to an an outdated waagent that now cant acquire an ip from the azure fabric…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Consistent SCSI target IDs across reboots

Linux SCSI target IDs change across reboots resulting in some really strange ordering of sda, sdb, sdc etc. Sometimes the ephemeral disk ends up on the end of the list, sometimes the data disk(s) go to the front. It's near impossible to import workloads into Azure with this device inconsistency.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. BUG: Creating a Linux VM with SSH certificate from portal fails

I'm trying to create a Linux virtual machine (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, 7/25/2014 release) in a virtual network. Whenever I specify an SSH certificate instead of a password, I keep getting an error that the machine creation failed. The certificate upload succeeds, however.
    This has happened in the past as well, but I didn't worry about it then since I was focused on a PaaS deployment. Please fix this! If it's a matter of some required settings combination not being met, please highlight that in the UI.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Consolidated datasheet for Azure Instances

Can you publish a single table that shows all Azure VM instance types and the specs for each. Especially the network performance limits. It would be great to be able to compare all instances on one datasheet.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Please allow the user to have choice on VM user names

We have our solution to deploy as Linux VM in Azure with our customized virtual disk. It has user name 'admin'. As this 'admin' string is reserved, I'm not able to provide ssh-key during vm creation. So good to allow user choiced names. Also let me know currently if there is a way to provide string like 'admin' , 'root' as user names.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. warning when changing host caching from read to none

There should be a more clearer in the azure portal when you change the host caching from read to none, because the disk is unavailable or a few minutes in the Linux VM, the warning is there when you change a disk from to read/write from read, but not when changing the host caching from read to none.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. RHEL8 for SAP

Hello, when can we expect RHEL 8 being available under offer "RHEL-SAP" in WEUR? SAP supports RHEL8 since 10/2019. Thanks!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Include the code in the URL

I get this prompt when I log into the machine:

To sign in, use a web browser to open the page https://microsoft.com/devicelogin and enter the code BTE2LNW3L to authenticate. Press ENTER when ready.

This means I have to copy the code, and click through the url.

If you made the code a part of the URL, it would save me a step and reduce friction to use this login mechanism.

e.g., This message would be way more useful:

To sign in, use a web browser to open the page: https://microsoft.com/devicelogin?code=BTE2LNW3L to authenticate. Press ENTER when ready.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Improve RHEL 6 image

Can you change the yum configuration in RHEL 6 images?
    I can't even run sudo yum update. Please update the mirror sites.

Related issue: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53436443/azure-redhat-vm-yum-update-fails-with-ssl-peer-rejected-your-certificate-as-exp

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

11. Support for marketplace VMs that run custom OS

Provide a solution to update/install the mobility service agent/extension on a VM from the Markeplate with closed OS to perform the replication job - By close OS I mean that no one would be able to SSH to the VM

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

12. Using M208s_v2 is super hard.

The necessary image for this vm instance is the GEN2 SUSE linux, and the documentation to install the azure cli fails for this instance and image combo.

Also, finding the correct image for this vm instance was not clear at all.

And trying to increase the volume disk size using the azure portal fails.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. creation of public private key pairs on the portal

When deploying a new Linux based VM, create a shortcut to create a SSH keypair and download the private/public key straight from the portal... saves downloading puttygen or similar..

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. I suggest you make Azure less complicated

, let users supply their own iso's with simple user interface and let users deploy their linux vm with a simple user interface like the way vmware is setup. I dont have to pick a group or container, I don't need this or that I just need the vmware software and an iso. That's why Linux and Microsoft have had such a difficult history of co op, linux is simple and straight forward little bells and whistles, Microsoft just adds layer and layer and layers of junk.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. (Linux + d2_v2 + dedicated) Why not on Azure China ?

This link could lead you to think we may have it.
    https://docs.azure.cn/zh-cn/virtual-machines/linux/
    The same way we have it with Azure Global.
    But no! Why is that Microsoft cannot have a standard offer and impose its subcontractors (here 21Vianet) to match the Standard?
    My coffees at Starbucks and Costa in Shanghai respect the respective standards.
    Thank you to urge this matter as we are now forced to consider AWS just to host our VMs with Ubuntu.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Requesting to consider and develop option to migrate the inplace os upgrade for both Linux and Windows. For Example RHEL 6.x to 7.x etc...

Requesting to consider and develop option to migrate the inplace os upgrade for both Linux and Windows. For Example RHEL 6.x to 7.x etc...

This is a genric future plan or view any clients would have and this blockage in cloud is some way blocking the plans for few clients.

Please consider.
    JD
    jayadeava.b@tcs.com

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow encrypted Linux OS disk settings to persist through generalization and image creation

Allow Linux encrypted OS disk settings to persist through generalization and image creation to avoid having to wait hours or days for a new virtual machine to be encrypted after deployment.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. In order to bring your own linux license, Linux VM has to be built from command line, instead of GUI.

Microsoft should have better communication to let end-user know it.
    Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 'AADLoginForLinux' extension should create an AAD device

AADLoginForLinux extension should create an AAD device so there isn't any hard dependency on realmd.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. New-AzureRmVm ` -ResourceGroupName "MyResourceGroup" ` -Name "TestVm" ` -Image "UbuntuLTS" ...

New-AzureRmVm `

-ResourceGroupName "MyResourceGroup" `

-Name "TestVm" `
    -Image "UbuntuLTS"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?