Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Retrieve VM meatdata information from within the VM

I am using Cassandra. Cassandra is a distributed DB (http://cassandra.apache.org/).

Every record is replicated across a configurable number of nodes.
    To ensure HA the nodes holding the replicas are selected in different racks. In the Azure cloud the analogy of a different rack is a different Update Domain (for comparison in AWS the analogy is different Availability Zones).
    See more information here http://www.datastax.com/documentation/cassandra/2.0/cassandra/architecture/architectureDataDistributeReplication_c.html

The nodes communicate with each other in p2p protocols and share the "rack" information among themselves. Every node is aware of the network topology of all the other nodes in the cluster including which rack…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Corey Sanders [MSFT] responded

Thanks for the feedback. Improved reporting from within the VM is something we will look at improving.

2. Get performance log data by API, currentry displayed in portal

performance log data ( CPU usage, network IO, disk IO ) API
    original data of graph displayed in portal ,

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Clone VM without sacrificing the original to the "sysprep" gods

I often set up Linux VMs with attached disks, and need to 1-click clone the VM to make new ones for parallel work.

For some reason Azure requires us to prepare the VM for a ritual sacrifice with "sysprep" or something, and destroying the original magically makes a clone-able VM. If I need to make modifications I have to re-deploy and then re-sacrifice again. This seems way too complicated.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

4. Display VM Image information in the portal

When creating Azure Compute Resources you need to specify the following Parameters in order to request a VM:

Offer
    Publisher

Sku

Getting this information can be very hard because these information are only displayed in the "Export template" section after you created them.

I think, that it would be way better if we could fetch these Information from the Marketplace Item page. (See attached picture)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

5. unable to see pricing for some images

Customers are unable to see the pricing for some images while creating the VM. Example Canonical Ubuntu images. Although, the images are free. It would great for the customers to see the price as free rather than to see " Pricing unavailable for these images.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Support ssh-ed25519 keys

Please implement support for ssh-ed25519 keys for azure virtual machines

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Why doesn't Azure Instance Metadata Service include hostname?

if metadata usage is allowed and the name from metadata does not match hostname, can Azure return metadata name and not the hostname?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Set default permission to temporary disk (/mnt/resource)

In linux environment default permission of /mnt/resource is 755.
    It is nice to have a functionality to set any permission to that.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Usage of RunShellScript should be logged and even notified

As RunShellScript allows for root access, it may be potentially abused and ought to be logged if it is being utilised. Perhaps there should even be a notification if it gets utilised

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/linux/run-command

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Linux AAD Login User Creation

When a user is assigned one of the 'Virtual Machine x Login' roles on VM Access Control (IAM) the user should be created on the Linux OS.

OR

Provide a way to create these non standard Linux users programmatically.

Many services, like RStudio Server, can make use of the AAD PAM module however the user needs to have first SSH'd on to the Linux OS one time to create the local user mapping. This is not ideal to have several hundred users having to SSH first before being able to login on the application.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Please provide a Linux Integration Services package for CentOS version 7.5

Please provide a Linux Integration Services package for CentOS version 7.5

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. NC Series GPU VMs in East US 2

Please make the GPU NC series VMs accessible in the East US 2 data center. Other features are available in this data center that we need but not in East US 1

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. notify customers of waagent updates that that are necessary to keep old vms working properly with azure fabric

We have been bitten many times by waagent / azure fabric upgrades that cause the networking or other fabric related functionalities to fail as a result of outdated versions of waagent. It would be prudent on Microsofts part to alert customers in some manner, whether it be email or the portal, of such changes for vm's that may be affected by an upgrade to either of these pieces.

Without any sort of bi-directional console, rebooting a server and not having it come back up due to an an outdated waagent that now cant acquire an ip from the azure fabric…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Consistent SCSI target IDs across reboots

Linux SCSI target IDs change across reboots resulting in some really strange ordering of sda, sdb, sdc etc. Sometimes the ephemeral disk ends up on the end of the list, sometimes the data disk(s) go to the front. It's near impossible to import workloads into Azure with this device inconsistency.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. BUG: Creating a Linux VM with SSH certificate from portal fails

I'm trying to create a Linux virtual machine (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, 7/25/2014 release) in a virtual network. Whenever I specify an SSH certificate instead of a password, I keep getting an error that the machine creation failed. The certificate upload succeeds, however.
    This has happened in the past as well, but I didn't worry about it then since I was focused on a PaaS deployment. Please fix this! If it's a matter of some required settings combination not being met, please highlight that in the UI.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Include the code in the URL

I get this prompt when I log into the machine:

To sign in, use a web browser to open the page https://microsoft.com/devicelogin and enter the code BTE2LNW3L to authenticate. Press ENTER when ready.

This means I have to copy the code, and click through the url.

If you made the code a part of the URL, it would save me a step and reduce friction to use this login mechanism.

e.g., This message would be way more useful:

To sign in, use a web browser to open the page: https://microsoft.com/devicelogin?code=BTE2LNW3L to authenticate. Press ENTER when ready.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. ED25519 & ECDSA key format support

Hi,

It would be nice to be able to use key in ED25519 and ECDSA format on Azure when we want to connect to our GNU Linux on EC2.

Thanks,

David

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

18. to make traceroute and mtr work in Azure Linux VMs

Even after enabling firewall rules, it is not possible to do traceroute and mtr in certain Azure Linux flavors (particularly CentOS).
    NMap works, so it is only traceroute that is the problem. Kindly add support for traceroute.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

19. Improve RHEL 6 image

Can you change the yum configuration in RHEL 6 images?
    I can't even run sudo yum update. Please update the mirror sites.

Related issue: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53436443/azure-redhat-vm-yum-update-fails-with-ssl-peer-rejected-your-certificate-as-exp

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Support for marketplace VMs that run custom OS

Provide a solution to update/install the mobility service agent/extension on a VM from the Markeplate with closed OS to perform the replication job - By close OS I mean that no one would be able to SSH to the VM

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base