Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow the setting of environment variables in arm templates.

Currently I'm using the custom script extension to set an environment variable with all the information that I need to connect an app that I'm installing with an azure sql database. I've had to resort to parsing the values needed out of one variable as trying to run multiple commands with the custom script extension is not working. This would be resolved if there were a section of the arm template that allowed you to set values in your vm. I'm doing it this way because I'm generating the name for the db and the username and password are coming…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Cannot create a VM using GRS Backup in another region

It looks like Microsoft is busy creating many products but they are not thinking about the basic necessity of product. I have given so much suggestion to Microsoft for product improvement and they implemented. Thanks for that. Currently, I just wanted to know Why you are not allowing the customer to spin up any VM from recovery GRS vault to create VM in the paired region? If this is not possible then I don't think so there is any real use case of GRS backup. Looks like they have not thought about the basic of the product. If a data…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Azure VM with Optane

It'd be good if one could deploy an Azure SQL VM with persistent memory devices like Intel Optane.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Allow a reservation to be moved to a VM in a different AAD

I had setup a virtual machine and was testing over a period of a few weeks with a colleague. We needed to keep it up 24 hours a day and were pretty sure this machine was going to be in use for the long term, so I purchased a Reserved Instance to lower the cost.

As we continued our testing, it became obvious we needed to apply Azure Active Directory for increased security and management of users and groups. The VM was associated with the default AAD and after evaluating, I decided it should be in a separate AAD.

After…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Azure Marketplace image for SQL Server 2017 editions on Windows Server 2016 - Server Core

I would like to see a SQL Server 2017 editions on Windows Server 2016 - Server Core included in the Azure Marketplace. The marketplace currently only holds images for the SQL Server on full versions of Windows Server 2016 DC.

Many DBAs are comfortable with SQL Server on Windows Server Core installations. It reduces the overhead over the UI in both resource usage and patches. Also allows for quickly (re)booting nodes to be horizontally scaled when required.

Currently such a configuration can only be achieved by manually preparing a VM image and uploading it to Azure. Which also requires a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Reflect the result of Windows Custom Script Extensions as deploy result

When custom script extension is deployed to Linux VM and the script returns error, the deployment result is 'failed'
    However, when it comes to Windows the deployment result is 'succeed' even the script returns error.
    We want the Windows custom script extension acts same as Linux.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add VM with 8 vCPU and 256 GiB RAM for Azure Stack

We need this configuration for our BI solution.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Hide SKUs

Implementing Azure Virtual Machines SKUs should only show the virtuals available to provision based off the policy. This way users don't have to dig through hundreds of Virtual machines to find one that is supported, would be better to have the virtuals filtered to show only approved Virtuals based of subscription policy?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. B Series vms need and option for higher IO

B Series vms need and option for higher IO. Many bursty workloads need the additional IO in conjunction with the CPU. Less usable otherwise.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Azure Windows VM "Connect" button in portal should launch via URL instead .rdp download

Azure Windows VM "Connect" button in portal should launch via URL instead .rdp download using https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/remote-desktop-uri notice that this also works on Mac...

Problem with current way... It's annoying to download file and after it's download also 2x click it to open. I also have 20+ .rdp files in downloads folder...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Review GS series prices as they are currently heavily overpriced

Currently the GS series VM's are significantly overpriced compared to the DSv2 series. For example a DS12v2 is $600 a month giving you 4cpu/28gig. However the GS2 which is $1600 a month gives you 4cpu/56gig ram. This is the equivalent of $1000 for 28gig of ram or another 1.6xDS12v2 boxes for 28gig of ram. This doesn't make sense. I'd expect a price increase of $600 to $900 for the GS2.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. make premium disks available for N class (with gpu) VMs

N class machines (with gpu) dont support premium disks.

Disk IO is significantly slower than aws equivalent VMs (p2)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Please provide Windows 10 with GPU Hardware i.e Nvidia Tesla M60

as of now GPU has been enabled for only W2k2 R2 and W2k16

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. when the vm creation, need a option to change temperary drive from D to others

when the vm is creating , we need a option to change temporary drive from D to others

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. VM deployment using JSON and specialized disk does not display Computer Name

VM deployment using a JSON template and specialized disk does not

As per Microsoft support the following answer was received:

This behavior is currently by design.
    The portal reads the Computer name information from the OSProfile settings section of a VM. But when creating a VM from an existing disk we don’t include this section in the template (or powershell) because this is only used for generalized images.
    At the moment we cannot edit the OSProfile of an existing VM, thus the name property on the portal remains blank.

Unfortunately, although this may be by design it does not provide…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Set the allocation unit size to 64 KB when formatting the disk with SQL Server IaaS Agent

In SQL Server IaaS Agent, storage space of disks connected at the time of deployment and disk formatting are implemented, but the NTFS allocation unit size when formatting the disk is not 64 KB.

Since the 64 KB format should be advantageous for performance, I would like to format it with 64 KB NTFS allocation unit size at the time of formatting.

https://docs.microsoft.com/ja-jp/azure/virtual-machines/windows/sql/virtual-machines-windows-sql-performance

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. DNS Domain suffix in ARM

Today it is not possible to add DNS Domain suffix on our Windows servers in our ARM script. Please add this because it is required in a AD domain to get the vm to work as it should.

I know that you can do this in powershell but we want it in a clean ARM script without custom script extension and powershell scripting.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. SSH support for Windows

Now that there is a Microsoft supported OpenSSH port for windows:
    https://github.com/PowerShell/Win32-OpenSSH

Please make it a first class citizen for remote access to windows machines. This isn't a complete list, but here are some of the items needed:
    * It should either be part of the base market place images, or enabled via an ARM template (like you can with WinRM)
    * Authorized keys for users should support being set via an ARM template (like you can with Linux)
    * more?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add ability to provision VM initially without a local account

In a corporate environment where all VMs are domain joined (using the VM domain joining extension) the local account is a nuisance.

It would be nice if:
    * you could simply not have a local account at all (perhaps with the ability to add it later via the VM access extension that can be used to reset the password currently)
    * you could specify a local admin AD user/group via the VM domain join extension
    * or alternatively add a local account expiration time that you can specify through an ARM template, which would allow me to say it should…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base