Virtual Machines

How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow Premium Disks connected to NV* VM

Allow Premium Disks connected to NV* VMs

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Reset Remote Desktop service configuration

The "Reset Remote Desktop service configuration" function should include resetting the (possibly modified) RDP port number to 3389 in the registry.

The registry key is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber

This may be a non-typical cause for inability to get into RDP contact with the VM, but when it is the problem then resetting the port number would be a life-saver. It would have saved me quite a few hours and the expenditure of a support incident.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow empty LicenseType value in VM properties.

I have a generic template that contains everything I need to deploy a fully configured VM.

Normally we use HUB-licensed images, so my template contains the "LicenseType" property with value "Windows_Server".

However, in some specific cases I need to deploy a VM based on an image from the marketplace. The deployment then fails with en error: "Image <xxxx> is neither from on-premises nor eligible for Hybrid Use Benefits (HUB)."
    But the only allowed values for LicenceType are "Windows_Server" or "Windows_Client". Passing an empty value ("" or null) raises an error.

So I need to remove the LicenseType property from my…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make certificateUrl optional for HTTPS WinRM

Requiring that I either generate a certificate for every VM before I create the VM or use the same certificate for HTTPS configuration of WinRM is not ideal (you can't ever change the reference certificateUrl after creating the VM, and it has to reference a specific secret version).

Please auto-generate a self-signed certificate if the certificateUrl is ommitted.

It should be as simple as SSH on Linux VMs which is auto-configured on first boot!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Check Virtual Machine Resources availability before starting Virtual Machine

Check Virtual Machine Resources availability before starting Virtual Machine. We have got serveral "Failed" errors when starting a Virtual Machine on an Availability Group due the lack of resources ( CPU, RAM ... etc ) on ARM infrastructure. We have autostart and Stop script that runs daily, it's interesting to have a Powershell Command to check if there ara enought resources to start a Virtual MAchine prior to execute the Start-AzureRMVM, so we can move this VM to another Availabilty Group or zone to avoid "failed" status.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Create a Windows Virtual Machine with name of more than 15 characters

I understand that Azure limits Windows virtual machine names to 15 chars max - if i undestand right it's because of the legacy NetBios protocol - It would be great if this thin can be change and we can create more than 15 chars - if I want my machine name to hold the machine IP - only 4 time 3 chars plus the delimiters gets us to 15 chars
    ***.***.***.*** (like 192.108.150.100 - 15 chars)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Generate Power Shell Script instead of creating the VM

It would be useful to be able to go to through VM Wizard and instead of creating the VM at the end you had the option of generating a script to do the job.

In fact this would be a really useful feature for many of the portal wizards.

It would teach you Azure powershell as well as make your life easier by allowing you to quickly spin up environments.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Clone production enviroment to azure msdn dev/test

With the recent announcement of the new EA and pay-as-you-go MSDN dev/test subscriptions for Azure, it would be great if we had the ability to clone our production enviroments into an MSDN dev/test subscription to ensure an identical enviroment for testing new releases. Of course something's would have to change (external ip) which the user should be prompted for if they can set it, or informed of if they can't

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Simple snapshot from a VM

A easy way to snapshot a VM and restore to that point.

It is important for tests

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Ability to move Virtual machines between suscriptions

We work with projects creating a suscription for each project. That way we can have control of how much money we expend on the windows azure service.
    But sometimes, we would like to reuse existing machines that we used in one suscription to a second suscription for a different project.

I know we can replicate VM, o use backup disk, etc, but it would be so much easier if we have an option to just move one VM from one suscription to another suscription. It seems very easy and is only for accounting issues.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add "VM JIT Requestor" role to Resource/RG level role list

Quite often, I want to grant users login access to an Azure VM without giving them contributor access to modify the metadata associated with the VM itself. However, while Reader access gives users access to the Azure portal, and Virtual Machine User Login access allows users to login to the VM once in the portal, neither the aforementioned roles nor any other predefined role provides the ability to request JIT access to the VM.

My workaround has been to create a cusotm role with the following allowed action: Microsoft.Security/locations/jitNetworkAccessPolicies/initiate/action

However, this seems like an action that should either be allowed…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. In-Place OS Upgrade in Azure

It would be nice to see In-Place OS Upgrade in Azure. Currently we are working on a project to replace all VM with OS Windows 2008 because
    Microsoft will be officially ending its support for Windows Server 2008 R2 editions. The problem we are facing is we don't have support from vendor to reinstall the application on new platform and the only workaround offered by Microsoft are as following:

1. Create an Azure VM that's running a supported version of an operating system, and then migrate the workload (Method 1)
    2. Download and upgrade the VHD of the VM (Method…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow the setting of environment variables in arm templates.

Currently I'm using the custom script extension to set an environment variable with all the information that I need to connect an app that I'm installing with an azure sql database. I've had to resort to parsing the values needed out of one variable as trying to run multiple commands with the custom script extension is not working. This would be resolved if there were a section of the arm template that allowed you to set values in your vm. I'm doing it this way because I'm generating the name for the db and the username and password are coming…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Cannot create a VM using GRS Backup in another region

It looks like Microsoft is busy creating many products but they are not thinking about the basic necessity of product. I have given so much suggestion to Microsoft for product improvement and they implemented. Thanks for that. Currently, I just wanted to know Why you are not allowing the customer to spin up any VM from recovery GRS vault to create VM in the paired region? If this is not possible then I don't think so there is any real use case of GRS backup. Looks like they have not thought about the basic of the product. If a data…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allows Custom Script Extension to access Private GitHub Repositories

While possible to specify account name and key for accessing blob storage when using the Custom Script Extension. There does not seem the ability to access a private GitHub repository by specifying an access token.

It would be good to have this ability to have private repository access to control VM extension scripts without needing to make them public or copy to blob storage.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow a reservation to be moved to a VM in a different AAD

I had setup a virtual machine and was testing over a period of a few weeks with a colleague. We needed to keep it up 24 hours a day and were pretty sure this machine was going to be in use for the long term, so I purchased a Reserved Instance to lower the cost.

As we continued our testing, it became obvious we needed to apply Azure Active Directory for increased security and management of users and groups. The VM was associated with the default AAD and after evaluating, I decided it should be in a separate AAD.

After…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Azure Marketplace image for SQL Server 2017 editions on Windows Server 2016 - Server Core

I would like to see a SQL Server 2017 editions on Windows Server 2016 - Server Core included in the Azure Marketplace. The marketplace currently only holds images for the SQL Server on full versions of Windows Server 2016 DC.

Many DBAs are comfortable with SQL Server on Windows Server Core installations. It reduces the overhead over the UI in both resource usage and patches. Also allows for quickly (re)booting nodes to be horizontally scaled when required.

Currently such a configuration can only be achieved by manually preparing a VM image and uploading it to Azure. Which also requires a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Reflect the result of Windows Custom Script Extensions as deploy result

When custom script extension is deployed to Linux VM and the script returns error, the deployment result is 'failed'
    However, when it comes to Windows the deployment result is 'succeed' even the script returns error.
    We want the Windows custom script extension acts same as Linux.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add VM with 8 vCPU and 256 GiB RAM for Azure Stack

We need this configuration for our BI solution.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Hide SKUs

Implementing Azure Virtual Machines SKUs should only show the virtuals available to provision based off the policy. This way users don't have to dig through hundreds of Virtual machines to find one that is supported, would be better to have the virtuals filtered to show only approved Virtuals based of subscription policy?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base