Virtual Machines

How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. create an IaaS VM - D1s v3 (1CPU, 4GB) spec

The equivalent spec is a last generation DS1 v2 (1 CPU 3.5GB)
    The latest v3 generation should be D1s v3 (1 CPU, 4GB)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Azure VM unable to configure auto shut down, encountered error

I tried to enable the auto shut-down for my VM, and I encountered this problem.
    Schedule failed to update {"error":{"code":"MissingSubscriptionRegistration","message":"The subscription is not registered to use namespace 'Microsoft.DevTestLab'. See https://aka.ms/rps-not-found for how to register subscriptions.","details":[{"code":"MissingSubscriptionRegistration","target":"Microsoft.DevTestLab","message":"The subscription is not registered to use namespace 'Microsoft.DevTestLab'. See https://aka.ms/rps-not-found for how to register subscriptions."}]}}

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Upgrade Custom Script Extension for Windows to include 'script' support (like Linux CSE 2.0)

The 1.9 version of CSE for Windows only supports 'commandToExecute'. It should support passing a base64-encoded script like the Linux 2.0.x version.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Enhancement to Get-AzureRMVMSize so that indicates whether supports Accelerated Networking

Given that the list of VMs that currently support Accelerated Networking is limited, having an extra column denoting whether supported in Get-AzureRMVM would be useful so that can check status and link to provisioning scripts to validate - rather than wait for it to fail / check manually

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Disk type

Hello, from an automation perspective, it would be good for a Windows Guest VM be aware of the media type for the disks that are attached to a it (ex: auto cache for S2D to work automatically with SSD+HDD).
    Even when I have a VM with HDD and SSD, it will show the disk type as HDD ( using posh: Get-PhysicalDisk | Select-Object FriendlyName, MediaType, Size ).

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. faster Windows update download to Azure VMs

Today, I did WS2016 VM update (KB4022715 and more).

The problem is that the download speed was really slow. It does not show any speed in number, but I can say it’s way slower than doing on my office desktop. It consumes almost 2 hours on A2 VM.

In addition, I added language component of 16MB, and it consumes almost 1 hours?! It bring me back to 56K US robotics modem life.

It would be good to give faster windows update and component download speed to Azure VMs.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. failed arm deploys

Failed ARM VM Extension deployments are not re-runnable.

When you use ARM to deploy a VM extension, if it fails then subsequant deploys always fail as well and the only way to fix it is to manually go back and delete the extension.

ONe example for this is the SQLIaasExtension - I deployed the microsoft sql image including this extension and got an abrstract error:

"VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'SqlIaasExtension'. Error message: \\\"SQL Server IaaS Agent: Cannot open log for source 'Microsoft SQL Server Server Status Reporting'. You may not have write access."

Re-running the deploy…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Gallery image for Server 2016 Core (No GUI)

Since server 2008 I’ve tried to use core as the standard OS in everything I deploy (more so once it supported .net), especially in cloud where security teams are always picky, 2012 core was a great edition or even minimal GUI because it reduced the attack surface, Servers such as domain controllers don’t need a GUI at all but can’t be installed on Nano server.
    I was looking to upgrade our DCs in azure Dev to 2016 but don’t want to use the full GUI.

Without the ability to remove the GUI like server 2012 a gallery image of core…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Upgrade OS

You should be able to back up your files and data to a storage account and then upgrade your Windows Server OS to the latest version/edition.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. This has a relatively high test cost and given we have the newest OS version available, we haven’t heard much interest in this.

Please up-vote this and we will consider it.

Corey

10. Make contacting support easier

Azure clearly has some serious bugs. But the current process of contacting support to report these bugs sucks. We're supposed to sign up for a support subscription to tell you that your software is broken. Seriously?!?! Worse still, Microsoft is breaching their SLA's as a result. I can't wait for the class action lawsuit against Microsoft Azure.

I'd love to see a real support process that would enable regular paying users can report problems.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. RDP which works also with Mac OS X

I tried many Mac RDP clients but none of them could connect to the Azure instances, maybe because of the special load balancer settings within the azure RDP file.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Show VM shutdown timestamp on portal

Customer always need to query vm shotdown timestamp. It would be convenient for users to view the time on portal directly.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

13. Remove drive A: (virtual floppy disk)

How can one possibly "insert" a floppy disk there?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Auto update of ports

It is very problem to open the ports in office environment. from past one month I am working from home as azure port are blocked in my office, we need to follow up with my local network team to open ports every time when we create new VM, instead of that we need give the range of ports to our network admin to open but we are not sure while creating VM what is ports open by azure, we have feature of giving manually while creating but I need to check for free ports in my range and give it.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Failover Cluster support besides SQL AlwaysOn

It would be great for failover clustering to be supported with Azure VMs as it would allow my customers to migrate all their thinkable on-premises workloads to Azure. Move to an Azure-only environment is being asked more frequently.
    Shared VHDX and a way to get a valid cluster IP address seems to be key for this to get operational.
    It would be a perfect in combination with availability sets for e.g. file server clusters, SQL failover clusters, custom application clusters

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Virtual Machines Disks view must show disk size

In Virtual Machines when you switch to Disks view, it’s very useful to show each disk size! I mean a new column with this important information.
    Please, this is a simple information, but helps a lot.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Fix or allow automated cleanup for orphaned Microsoft Hyper-V Network adapters on Azure VM's

We have identified an issue with our Azure VM environment.

We use an Automation script to stop and start our VM's every night - however it seems that every time the VM's start up a new virtual network adapter is created, leaving potentially hundreds of old orphaned ones on the system (showing up as Microsoft Hyper-V Network Adapter #123).

In itself this is merely an inconvenience but we have twice experienced an issue where after a certain number of these orphaned adapters have built up the VM's fail to create a new working adapter with the effect that network communications…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Azure PowerShell check remaining data disk space for VM

Azure PowerShell is not providing a facility to check the remaining data disk space from the remote PowerShell after login to the azure account.
    Example –

((get-azurermvm -resourcegroupname “rgname” -name “vmname”).StorageProfile).DataDisks #FROM THIS WE CAN GET THE DISK NAMES AND TOTAL SPACE BUT no remaining space in the data disks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base