Virtual Machines

How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix autogenerated ARM templates for VMs (remove hardcoded RG name)

In Azure portal when you create a VM you can download the template and parameters (for e.g. right before clicking "Create" button to create VM, you can click on "Download template and parameters").

The template contains hardcoded resource group name inside the resourceId() function. This breaks things when you try to download and use the template. You cannot deploy this template even directly in the portal (since when you try to deploy template you're asked to enter resource group name, but a value is already hardcoded in the template).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Resource Group Case

When enabling Azure to Azure ASR on a Virtual Machine it converts the 'Resource Group' case to lowercase when viewing the Virtual machine. The case is correct if you use PowerShell to lookup the virtual machine.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Choose WDDM or TCC mode during New Azure VM setup process

For NV and NC instances, users should be given a choice at the point of VM creation to enable TCC or WDDM mode on the Nvidia Tesla GPU.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Easy VM Instance comparison

Provide a tool to easily compare Azure VMs across compute, storage, networking, and price. The doc page is atrocious: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/sizes

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Send notifications before VM is rebooted.

If a VM is going to be rebooted, perhaps a little warning. I have had my production VM shutdown for no reason then spent several minutes trying to get logged back in. If I knew that it was or did happen, I may not be so concerned that my data has disappeared.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. VDI on azure

now i can have internet on guest machines on nested vm but in VDI scenario i can't initiate RDP connection even if there are no NSG configured or firewall

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. update the auto-shutdown feature

When trying to setup auto-shutdown, after putting in my email for notification, despite the help text, I get:

MissingRequiredProperty Missing required property WebhookUrl.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Delete a Failed VM

I can't consistently reproduce this, but the process is frequent add and delete of a VM, regular or in a DevTetLab, sometimes in the same resource group and other times in a different one. Occasionally, a deleted VM and its resource group will reappear in the list. When navigating to the VM, its associated resources will be "not found" and the VM itself will have a status of failed below the action buttons (start, stop, etc.). In this case, the VM and the containing resource group cannot be deleted. The delete operation will simply timeout after a while.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Inherit tags on virtual machine extensions

Many companies enforce tagging by denying resource creation if no tags are present. Using PowerShell, creating a VM gives an error because the extension (BGInfo) is not tagged. In order for this to work, you must explicitly use the -DisableBgInfo parameter. However, other extensions (like the one for Azure Security Center) could also cause this.

Managed Disks (specifically for the OS) avoid this problem by inheriting the tags from the VM. PowerShell error:

New-AzureRmVM -ResourceGroupName $rgName -Location $location -VM $vm -Tags @{Owner="me"} -Verbose
    New-AzureRmVM : The resource action 'Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/extensions/write' is disallowed by one or more
    policies.
    Policy identifier(s): '[{"policyDefintionId":"/subscriptions/00000000-1111-2222-3333-444444444444/providers/Microsof
    t.Authorization/policyDefinitions/deny-if-no-tags/","policyAssignmentId":"/subscriptions/00000000-1111-2222-3333-444444444444/ …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. VM Extensions appearing as resources in resource groups

1.The VM extensions are part of the VM. Therefore they should appear *under* the VM resource, not next to it. The other resources like Network Interface, NSG, Public IP appear *side-by-side* because they do not belong to a VM.
    2.When you have more than one VM in a resource group, it is impossible to tell which extension is under which VM in the list, since they all have the same name.
    3.There are no actions I can perform in the portal related to that resource. I can't change any configuration, I can't even delete it. Therefore it is useless to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Cant create or delete any service

Yesterday i create 2 vm's and some services to try Azure, today in the principal panel shows some services but in the category of services is all empty. I create another vm and ok but i can see the machine

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Creating a VM in a pre-existing cloud service ports can overlap

Sometimes when creating a VM and selecting an existing cloud service it will keep the external ports for powershell or RDP as their default values instead of "AUTO" which cannot be manually entered. If you don't notice this and fix the external port before creating it will fail in provisioning and require you to fill out all the information again.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Error when using PowerShell template that is provided when creating a VM

I walked through the Portal wizard for creating a new RM VM. At the end I clicked on "Download template and parameters". I then downloaded the PowerShell.

When I ran it on my machine I got the following:

Registering resource provider 'microsoft.compute'
    C:\Azure\deploy.ps1 : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'Force'.
    At line:1 char:1
    + .\deploy.ps1
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [deploy.ps1], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,deploy.ps1

I have Azure cmdlets 3.0 installed. I edited the deploy.ps1 file and removed the -force and everything worked as expected.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add check for quota limits for ASM 2 ARM migration validation

When running "Move-AzureVirtualNetwork -Verify" it does not verify that any service limitation will be hit before migrating.
    If a quota is hit the migration process will stop.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. When creating VM from custom image, wizard crashes when I select virtual network drop-down list

Unable to create VM from image, as wizard crashes when selecting virtual network

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Conexion remote

Es algo traumatico tratar de conectarse remotamente a las maquinas virtuales, eso no sirve, no se conecta nada. No se como pretenden que uno pague servicio por eso

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. changing between subscriptions loses authenticated context and is amazingly frustrating

once you've logged in, you should be logged in. changing subscriptions re-challenges a login which doesn't work... surprised this bug has been active this long

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Please fixed the access to my VM (Classic)

Please fixed the access to my VM (Classic)

I have been trying to access for hours. Your notes say the incident is rectified however I still have no access on either portal. I have Visual Studio Professional with MSDN account in SE Asia set up before this was available in Australia. 48e897f2-74b1-4823-9b83-5bf2d85ce8cb

Failed to start the virtual machine 'autotel'. The operation '41d1c7042693961cacef5f3513b69ad1' failed: 'The operation cannot be completed at this time because an upgrade is currently ongoing.'. CORRELATION IDS 0d982069-1d6b-46b9-9c33-27de29d3efeb

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Do not limit VHD images size to be whole in MB's

This does not make sense in a digital world

It took hours to upload a VHD using the PowerShell command (Add-AzureVhd)

Add-AzureVMImage gave me an error : BadRequest: The VHD (url) virtual size of 73372631040 bytes. The size must be a whole number (in MBs).

Should have had a warning before the upload not wait 10+ hours to do the upload and then give the warning; or better yet, remove the limitation

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Failed to import VM

I had to change the Cloud Service of a DC, which was also a DNS server on my VNET, for internal billing services. I used PowerShell to export the VM and then tried to import the VM again into the new Cloud Service. It failed with:

New-AzureVM : InternalError : The server encountered an internal error. Please retry the request.

After a few more tries, it generated the following error:

New-AzureVM : Networking.DeploymentVNetAddressAllocationFailure : Unable to allocate the required address spaces for the deployment in a new or predefined subnet that is contained within the specified virtual network.

I removed…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base