Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. virtual machine scale set - via PowerShell error: 'Required property 'type' not found in JSON

Creating a VMSSet with AzureRM.Compute version 5.7.0 now fails with error:
    The request content was invalid and could not be deserialized: 'Required property 'type' not found in JSON. Path 'identity',

Problem did not occur with AzureRM.Compute version e.g. 5.5.2

Workaround:
    $VMSS.Identity = $null (go to line 102)
    ->leads to a successful deployment.

I don't believe that the workaround is the expected behaviour - is it?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Cannot add new disk to VM

North Central U.S.

I cannot create a new disk for an existing VM. When I go to the Disks section of the VM, there's no option for adding a disk, there's only a cloud with a raindrop. I don't know what that means.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. the hint ”Resetting the username will force this VM to reboot immediately.“ is not in line with the actual situation

when resetting password for windows VM in Azure portal, there is a hint says "Resetting the username will force this VM to reboot immediately.." But actually it won't. The hint is not in line with the actual situation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Availability Set domain settings default behavior

When testing deployment of an availability set with only 1 fault domain, I get the following error and deployment fails.
    "Deployment to resource group '(RG name)' failed.
    Additional details from the underlying API that might be helpful: At least one resource deployment operation failed. Please list deployment operations for details. Please see https://aka.ms/arm-debug for usage details."
    Obviously a single fault domain is a bad idea, but if it is not allowed, this should be a) explicitly documented and b) not offered as an option in the portal.
    I am providing feedback on the document here.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/manage-availability
    Please update the portal…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix autogenerated ARM templates for VMs (remove hardcoded RG name)

In Azure portal when you create a VM you can download the template and parameters (for e.g. right before clicking "Create" button to create VM, you can click on "Download template and parameters").

The template contains hardcoded resource group name inside the resourceId() function. This breaks things when you try to download and use the template. You cannot deploy this template even directly in the portal (since when you try to deploy template you're asked to enter resource group name, but a value is already hardcoded in the template).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Resource Group Case

When enabling Azure to Azure ASR on a Virtual Machine it converts the 'Resource Group' case to lowercase when viewing the Virtual machine. The case is correct if you use PowerShell to lookup the virtual machine.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Choose WDDM or TCC mode during New Azure VM setup process

For NV and NC instances, users should be given a choice at the point of VM creation to enable TCC or WDDM mode on the Nvidia Tesla GPU.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Easy VM Instance comparison

Provide a tool to easily compare Azure VMs across compute, storage, networking, and price. The doc page is atrocious: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/sizes

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Send notifications before VM is rebooted.

If a VM is going to be rebooted, perhaps a little warning. I have had my production VM shutdown for no reason then spent several minutes trying to get logged back in. If I knew that it was or did happen, I may not be so concerned that my data has disappeared.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. VDI on azure

now i can have internet on guest machines on nested vm but in VDI scenario i can't initiate RDP connection even if there are no NSG configured or firewall

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. update the auto-shutdown feature

When trying to setup auto-shutdown, after putting in my email for notification, despite the help text, I get:

MissingRequiredProperty Missing required property WebhookUrl.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Inherit tags on virtual machine extensions

Many companies enforce tagging by denying resource creation if no tags are present. Using PowerShell, creating a VM gives an error because the extension (BGInfo) is not tagged. In order for this to work, you must explicitly use the -DisableBgInfo parameter. However, other extensions (like the one for Azure Security Center) could also cause this.

Managed Disks (specifically for the OS) avoid this problem by inheriting the tags from the VM. PowerShell error:

New-AzureRmVM -ResourceGroupName $rgName -Location $location -VM $vm -Tags @{Owner="me"} -Verbose
    New-AzureRmVM : The resource action 'Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/extensions/write' is disallowed by one or more
    policies.
    Policy identifier(s): '[{"policyDefintionId":"/subscriptions/00000000-1111-2222-3333-444444444444/providers/Microsof
    t.Authorization/policyDefinitions/deny-if-no-tags/","policyAssignmentId":"/subscriptions/00000000-1111-2222-3333-444444444444/ …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. VM Extensions appearing as resources in resource groups

1.The VM extensions are part of the VM. Therefore they should appear *under* the VM resource, not next to it. The other resources like Network Interface, NSG, Public IP appear *side-by-side* because they do not belong to a VM.
    2.When you have more than one VM in a resource group, it is impossible to tell which extension is under which VM in the list, since they all have the same name.
    3.There are no actions I can perform in the portal related to that resource. I can't change any configuration, I can't even delete it. Therefore it is useless to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Cant create or delete any service

Yesterday i create 2 vm's and some services to try Azure, today in the principal panel shows some services but in the category of services is all empty. I create another vm and ok but i can see the machine

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Creating a VM in a pre-existing cloud service ports can overlap

Sometimes when creating a VM and selecting an existing cloud service it will keep the external ports for powershell or RDP as their default values instead of "AUTO" which cannot be manually entered. If you don't notice this and fix the external port before creating it will fail in provisioning and require you to fill out all the information again.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Error when using PowerShell template that is provided when creating a VM

I walked through the Portal wizard for creating a new RM VM. At the end I clicked on "Download template and parameters". I then downloaded the PowerShell.

When I ran it on my machine I got the following:

Registering resource provider 'microsoft.compute'
    C:\Azure\deploy.ps1 : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'Force'.
    At line:1 char:1
    + .\deploy.ps1
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [deploy.ps1], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,deploy.ps1

I have Azure cmdlets 3.0 installed. I edited the deploy.ps1 file and removed the -force and everything worked as expected.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add check for quota limits for ASM 2 ARM migration validation

When running "Move-AzureVirtualNetwork -Verify" it does not verify that any service limitation will be hit before migrating.
    If a quota is hit the migration process will stop.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. When creating VM from custom image, wizard crashes when I select virtual network drop-down list

Unable to create VM from image, as wizard crashes when selecting virtual network

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Conexion remote

Es algo traumatico tratar de conectarse remotamente a las maquinas virtuales, eso no sirve, no se conecta nada. No se como pretenden que uno pague servicio por eso

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. changing between subscriptions loses authenticated context and is amazingly frustrating

once you've logged in, you should be logged in. changing subscriptions re-challenges a login which doesn't work... surprised this bug has been active this long

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base