Virtual Machines

How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Tile on a VM not being properly updated upon recreation on the Dashboard

When you have created a VM and you for some reason deleted it but want to recreate it on later stage (in my case immediately) the tile on the dashboard shows "Deleted" and below "Running. You cannot click on the tile at that moment. Not sure what happens yet when you wait a bit longer before recreating the VM, but in my case I noticed this bug when doing it immediately due to an error in building it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. The ability to connect to my virtual machine like I am able to do so with the previous portal.

I can no longer connect to my virtual machine using ms rdp on my android tablet. Not such a good feature.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make it running quicker

Unbelievable how the Azure VMs are running slow

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add word "Local" to the reserved words list for username when creating Windows VMs in Azure

When creating VMs, if you use the username "local" and choose a password the user account 'local' does not get created on the OS. Instead, the Administrator account gets enabled and the password you attempted to set for a user called "local" is set on the Administrator account.

This caused confusion during RDP to the OS, as the expected username to use was "local" - however, the account does not exist on the OS.

A potential fix would be to block the use of "local" as a username, similarly to how the username "Administrator" is reserved from use.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

5. The virtual machines of the B series do not inform about the bandwidth. All series report about bandwidth except type B machines. Accordin

The virtual machines of the B series do not inform about the bandwidth.

All series report about bandwidth except type B machines.

According to Microsoft they do not inform because it is a variant connection, but at least they should indicate the minimum and maximum.

As in all series in the NIC part, the bandwidth must also appear.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

6. "Windows Server 2016 Datacenter - with Containers" Hangs on Extracting "microsoft/windowsservercore" layer

I run docker images from azure pipeline on virtual machine remotely. I have image that usese "microsoft/windowsservercore" image as base.
    I am using "Windows Server 2016 Datacenter - with Containers" on "Standard_A2_v2"/"Standard_A4_v2" size machines with "Standard SSD". Last two weeks everything was working fine. But starting from 18.02.2019 virtual machine docker run command hangs on extracting "microsoft/windowsservercore" second layer and instead of like previously run for 7-11 minutes it runs for 35, when i run command manually over RDP or from azure pipeline. I have recreated virtual machines 3 times and process still hangs. On local Windows 10 everything works…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Close the security hole allowing outbound traffic to any server on the internet on TCP port 1688 from any Azure IaaS VM

NSG 'deny' rules ignore TCP port 1688.

It is possible to exflitrate [i.e. steal] confidential data from any Azure IaaS VM (via the internet) to a server running an arbitrary service on TCP port 1688.

Example:
    1. Deploy an SSH/SFTP server running on port 1688 in your home or another cloud service
    2. As a legitimate user of an Azure IaaS deployment, logon to an Azure VM (RDP or Citrix servers commonly allow user-logons)
    3. Transfer confidential data from the Azure IaaS VM to your private server on port 1688

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. The final step gives an error.

When I try to access http://publicIPAdress/wordpress it shows "Error establishing a database connection".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. shcool

op

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Request to add PhysicalDisk counters in enable guest-level monitoring, Metric Auto collection improvement required

I will request you to please add below like PhysicalDisk counters in MS service improvement because these are basic and important performance counters to differentiate PhysicalDisks Performance.

As well as it can set automatically when we enable guest-level monitoring like logical disk counters and Network, Memory Counters.

\PhysicalDisk(0 C:)\Disk Transfers/sec => IOPS
    \PhysicalDisk(0 C:)\Avg. Disk sec/Transfer => Disk Latency
    \PhysicalDisk(0 C:)\Disk Bytes/sec => Throughput

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. EnableRemotePS Run Command Fails on Windows 10 VMs

The script of EnableRemotePS Run Command:
    Enable-PSRemoting -Force
    New-NetFirewallRule -Name "Allow WinRM HTTPS" -DisplayName "WinRM HTTPS" -Enabled True -Profile Any -Action Allow -Direction Inbound -LocalPort 5986 -Protocol TCP
    $thumbprint = (New-SelfSignedCertificate -DnsName $env:COMPUTERNAME -CertStoreLocation Cert:\LocalMachine\My).Thumbprint
    $command = "winrm create winrm/config/Listener?Address=*+Transport=HTTPS @{Hostname=""$env:computername""; CertificateThumbprint=""$thumbprint""}"
    cmd.exe /C $command

It on Windows 10 VMs with the following error from RunCommandExtensionn.Log file :

[3504+00000001] [12/05/2018 08:52:29.69] [ERROR] Command execution finished. Command exited with code: 1

When executing the first command (Enable-PSRemoting -Force) manually on the VM, we get the following error:

Set-WSManQuickConfig : <f:WSManFault xmlns:f="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wbem/wsman/1/wsmanfault&quot; Code="2150859113" Machine="localhost"><f:Message><f:ProviderFault provider="Config provider"
    path="%systemroot%\system32\WsmSvc.dll"><f:WSManFault xmlns:f="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wbem/wsman/1/wsmanfault&quot;…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Azure CustomScriptExtensions for SKU Win7-SP1-Ent-N-x64 stopped working

All I see in the logs is "Current sequence number, 0, is not greater than the sequence number of the most recently executed configuration. Exiting...". Basically we use a setup very similar to https://github.com/Azure/azure-quickstart-templates/blob/master/201-vm-custom-script-windows/azuredeploy.json but with a custom script url and the win7 sku. And it worked fine for a long time. But now things have stopped working without any obvious change from our end (we even reverted everything and it still doesn't work anymore).

I tried to workaround by using different CustomScriptExtension versions, but nothing helped. The deployment succeeds when connecting via RDP and running `disable`, `reset` and `enable`.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Azure CustomScriptExtensions for SKU Win7-SP1-Ent-N-x64 stopped working

All I see in the logs is "Current sequence number, 0, is not greater than the sequence number of the most recently executed configuration. Exiting...". Basically we use a setup very similar to https://github.com/Azure/azure-quickstart-templates/blob/master/201-vm-custom-script-windows/azuredeploy.json but with a custom script url and the win7 sku. And it worked fine for a long time. But now things have stopped working without any obvious change from our end (we even reverted everything and it still doesn't work anymore).

I tried to workaround by using different CustomScriptExtension versions, but nothing helped. The deployment succeeds when connecting via RDP and running `disable`, `reset` and `enable`.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Unable to remove the base image in Microsoft Azure

Sometimes when we are trying to remove base image of VMSS, it will prompt out this error, while there is no any further information to guide us on how to properly delete the image. It would be great if azure can provide more information regarding to this problem

Virtual Machine ScaleSet '/subscriptions/00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000/resourceGroups//providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachineScaleSets/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Display Warning before "Generalize a VM"

Display Warning before "Generalize a VM", as it is not possible to rollback to its original state. Unless you make a copy of the same VM and give a different name.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. virtual machine scale set - via PowerShell error: 'Required property 'type' not found in JSON

Creating a VMSSet with AzureRM.Compute version 5.7.0 now fails with error:
    The request content was invalid and could not be deserialized: 'Required property 'type' not found in JSON. Path 'identity',

Problem did not occur with AzureRM.Compute version e.g. 5.5.2

Workaround:
    $VMSS.Identity = $null (go to line 102)
    ->leads to a successful deployment.

I don't believe that the workaround is the expected behaviour - is it?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Cannot add new disk to VM

North Central U.S.

I cannot create a new disk for an existing VM. When I go to the Disks section of the VM, there's no option for adding a disk, there's only a cloud with a raindrop. I don't know what that means.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. the hint ”Resetting the username will force this VM to reboot immediately.“ is not in line with the actual situation

when resetting password for windows VM in Azure portal, there is a hint says "Resetting the username will force this VM to reboot immediately.." But actually it won't. The hint is not in line with the actual situation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Availability Set domain settings default behavior

When testing deployment of an availability set with only 1 fault domain, I get the following error and deployment fails.
    "Deployment to resource group '(RG name)' failed.
    Additional details from the underlying API that might be helpful: At least one resource deployment operation failed. Please list deployment operations for details. Please see https://aka.ms/arm-debug for usage details."
    Obviously a single fault domain is a bad idea, but if it is not allowed, this should be a) explicitly documented and b) not offered as an option in the portal.
    I am providing feedback on the document here.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/manage-availability
    Please update the portal…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base