How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Delete VM with all associated resources

Deleting a VM is a lot of click work. I have to manually delete the associated Network interface, Network security group, Public IP address. And then, from the associated storage account, I have to drill down into the VHD container in the right Blob to delete the associated .vhd and .status files.

Also, I have to do it in the right order, because there are dependencies between the various objects. If not, it fails, and I get a big fat pink error.

Also, the overview list does not refresh after the 'success' notification is posted, so I sit there guessing which of the resources I already deleted and which I didn't.

It all feels boring, not fun and tedious!

253 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joost Molenaar shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

38 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Muthukumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also i would say before deleting the VM, there was a confirmation to type the resource name for deleting. In the same screen they can list the associated resources and keep the check box to select and delete those as well. It helps.

• Travis Fremming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are using a customized solution from Rackspace that does this. I no longer want to use this solution, I want to use the Azure Portal. The RS solution deletes the VM, Nic Card and the DNS record of the VM. Talking to a MSFT rep yesterday your old portal did this? I agree with the comments below deleting an entire resource group is not a viable solution. I have all our Dev/Test resources in one resource group, so deleting the entire resource group makes zero sense. Even if I separated it out, it is not time friendly.

• Rennie Petersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As Tom Callahan wrote over a year ago, "Please provide an option to delete all associated objects related to the Virtual Machine as the default, which can be disabled if need be. More often than not I would guess people want to delete all objects associated, instead of having to go item by item."

The current situation is ridiculous.

• Mert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

wov.. so how will this work out when i have a custom image in a resource group.. You have to have the vm in the same storage account as the image.. which means they have to be in the same resource group. deleting the resource group will also delete custom image.

• Praaj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Azure portal team (Admin, Microsoft Azure),
    Resource groups are being used for other different purposes by customers, this feature is available in the old portal for deleting VHD's. why are key features like this one and others like "Custom Images mgmt in gallery" missed out on a very fashionably promoted platform by Microsoft. doesn't really make sense. Customers are building their own custom scripts to address all these short-comes, which is inconvenient and time wasted which culd have otherwise been spent on hosting more workloads on azure, and especially when Microsoft's trying to compete with a gigantic player like AWS.
    Anyhoo, is there a date set on this.?

• Thiago Horta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Microsoft,
    I am without resources where to seek the correct help.
    See, mistakenly deleted the cloud, which made delete a super important cloud for business and generates a great loss. The cloud was excluded along with VM and your OS Disk. Sorry, however it is unbelievable that does not have a way to perform the rollback operation, okay it is not possible for the application, however Microsoft should have a general backup application, understand that it is more work, however would like and I ask you to please contact me to help me. In my case, I need only 1 file present in this VM, do not need the VM operating again. In terms of technology we all know that it is quite possible to accomplish. Please, contact me!

• kirti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We should definately have an option to delete associated resources when the respective vm is deleted. Creating new resource group for each vm is not feasible solution. Do we have any update on this?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

once i have deleted a resource group containing VMs , is there any way i can get the resource group and VMs back, when backup is even not taken?

ok, this is ridiculous. I'm guessing I can do it PowerShell, but why?? 2nd request would be a tree node/filter that shows all orphaned resources and way to remove all of them.

• suresh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately, the resource group deletion does not work because 90% of customers have many other VMs under the same resource group.

• Tzur Turkenitz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, could you please provide an update?
    My mouse is wearing down from all the clicks I have to make when I delete VMs.

• Thomas Conté commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You could also use tags to identify all resources associated to a specific VM, and then use this tag to delete the VM and related resources. But it would be great to have an API to e.g. enumerate all resources related to a VM so they can be deleted.

any more news on this, I can delete the public ips and nics but not the associated vhd files. Which SDK do I use?

• Sergey Pak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to start/stop VMs hundreds times a day. Is it okay to create a separate resource group for every new VM? Looks like deleting a resource group is time-consuming procedure

If a VM has a Static IP address assigned, and the VM is deleted without first removing it, how long before that IP address will be released for re-use?

• Tom Callahan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Azure Portal team, a resource group for every VM is not a solution. Please provide an option to delete all associated objects related to the Virtual Machine as the default, which can be disabled if need be. More often than not I would guess people want to delete all objects associated, instead of having to go item by item

2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base