How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Delete VM with all associated resources

Deleting a VM is a lot of click work. I have to manually delete the associated Network interface, Network security group, Public IP address. And then, from the associated storage account, I have to drill down into the VHD container in the right Blob to delete the associated .vhd and .status files.

Also, I have to do it in the right order, because there are dependencies between the various objects. If not, it fails, and I get a big fat pink error.

Also, the overview list does not refresh after the 'success' notification is posted, so I sit there guessing which of the resources I already deleted and which I didn't.

It all feels boring, not fun and tedious!

205 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joost Molenaar shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

32 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tim Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still waiting on this! How ridiculous! Add an "Are You Sure?" prompt and move on. This issue has gone on long enough.

• Amine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i prefer to script something and delete my resources after the fact: safety net i guess for me: but if the option is available: check boxes: i wouldn't mind at all :)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there, is there an update on this feature? This is a highly requested item and it's making us re-think of virtual deployments in Azure and just sticking with PaaS.

• Lars Panzerbjrn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this still not an option?
        Even if you have to check a ticky box and tye in "Yes, I Am Bloody Sure" into a text box to prevent accidental deletion, this is ridiculous...

Call me suspicious but there's two possible reasons I can see: accidental deletions wouldn't preclude you from reattaching the VHD and NIC to a new VM, keeping the key pieces available. The other reason is because the more orphan files the more you're paying for things you don't need. VM-sprawl if you will is in their business interest.

That being said, if the first reason is true, you can at least leave it in a recycle bin for a while (perhaps you do) and then purge it for good (but of course not charge for this fail-safe storage.

It speaks for itself, that the Azure Support Team send me a link to this page!

Creating a VM is done in 2 Minutes. To delete all the created associated **** after removing a VM takes ages. Why not offer a list with checkboxes of all associated resources, when I delete a VM?

I agree with other here . . .

"As Tom Callahan wrote over a year ago, "Please provide an option to delete all associated objects related to the Virtual Machine as the default, which can be disabled if need be. More often than not I would guess people want to delete all objects associated, instead of having to go item by item."

The current situation is ridiculous"

• Shri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to deploy identical 100 Virtual Machines using Terraform. I can not create 100 resource groups. I want a way such that I can delete a Virtual Machine and it will take care of deleting all the associated resources for that particular virtual machine. Something like "delete on terminate" for all the associated resources (i.e. storage account, IP address, nsg etc) for the single VM I am deleting.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

very troublesome if we delete VM need manually choose and delete related component.

• stella gord commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Azure portal team (Admin, Microsoft Azure) responded · Jul 20, 2015

What up with this :

Hi, Joost. Thanks for the feedback. We can definitely look into offering a way to delete multiple resources at the same time. For the time being, if you organize your related resources into resource groups, you can delete the entire resource group with a few clicks, which should help.

• David Sanftenberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft is very short on the polish side of things. You guys need to concentrate on the UX of the infra you're creating, take the entire lifecycle into account. It's kind of ridiculous that we need to write custom powershell scripts just to make sure VMs aren't leaving orphaned disks and nics lying around when we delete them.

• Muthukumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also i would say before deleting the VM, there was a confirmation to type the resource name for deleting. In the same screen they can list the associated resources and keep the check box to select and delete those as well. It helps.

• Travis Fremming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are using a customized solution from Rackspace that does this. I no longer want to use this solution, I want to use the Azure Portal. The RS solution deletes the VM, Nic Card and the DNS record of the VM. Talking to a MSFT rep yesterday your old portal did this? I agree with the comments below deleting an entire resource group is not a viable solution. I have all our Dev/Test resources in one resource group, so deleting the entire resource group makes zero sense. Even if I separated it out, it is not time friendly.

• Rennie Petersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As Tom Callahan wrote over a year ago, "Please provide an option to delete all associated objects related to the Virtual Machine as the default, which can be disabled if need be. More often than not I would guess people want to delete all objects associated, instead of having to go item by item."

The current situation is ridiculous.

• Mert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

wov.. so how will this work out when i have a custom image in a resource group.. You have to have the vm in the same storage account as the image.. which means they have to be in the same resource group. deleting the resource group will also delete custom image.

• Praaj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Azure portal team (Admin, Microsoft Azure),
        Resource groups are being used for other different purposes by customers, this feature is available in the old portal for deleting VHD's. why are key features like this one and others like "Custom Images mgmt in gallery" missed out on a very fashionably promoted platform by Microsoft. doesn't really make sense. Customers are building their own custom scripts to address all these short-comes, which is inconvenient and time wasted which culd have otherwise been spent on hosting more workloads on azure, and especially when Microsoft's trying to compete with a gigantic player like AWS.
        Anyhoo, is there a date set on this.?

• Thiago Horta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Microsoft,
        I am without resources where to seek the correct help.
        See, mistakenly deleted the cloud, which made delete a super important cloud for business and generates a great loss. The cloud was excluded along with VM and your OS Disk. Sorry, however it is unbelievable that does not have a way to perform the rollback operation, okay it is not possible for the application, however Microsoft should have a general backup application, understand that it is more work, however would like and I ask you to please contact me to help me. In my case, I need only 1 file present in this VM, do not need the VM operating again. In terms of technology we all know that it is quite possible to accomplish. Please, contact me!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base