How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

VM Created from custom image should be able to select storage account for VHD

When we try to create a virtual machine from a custom image the VHD's for the new virtual machine are created in the same storage account as the custom image. This is not ideal because most customers have different environments in different subscriptions so they are forced to copy the image into storage account in each subscriptions. It is not easy to copy the images between the storage accounts either.

540 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rajinder Singh shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

34 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On the arm portal, when I try to create a VM from an image, it says that I have no choice but create a managed VM since I'm creating one from an image. So I'm guessing MS is strongly urging us to use managed disks instead and this original issue will not be solved.

Currently, I have to use powershell to create the VM in the same storage account as the image, delete the vm, copy the VM's vhd's to the desired storage account, and create a new VM from those VHDs.

• Naomi de Boer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Corey,

Is there any news regarding this feature? We are also planning to deploy over 100 vms from the same image that will reside in a different storageaccount than the vms to be created. We are really stuck on this now.

Hope to hear from you soon!

• Hassan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to get better updates from Microsoft on some of these feedback activities in progress.

I know they take time and sometimes longer than expected but since the implementation of the new ARM mode the whole custom image process is impossible to really make use of, I'm hoping the update mentioned here does more then just this, but we won't know until the full plan can be shared.

Given all other Cloud provider already have a very simple method for image capture and reuse I'm assuming this isn't really going to be something that needs to be kept secret....

• Juan Jose Miño commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Corey Sanders/Azure Iaas Engineering Team,

Will the final solution allow us to deploy VMs into different subscriptions as well?
        Is it going to be released with the 'Managed Disks' feature?

Thanks!!

• mister gavin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi All, is there any feedback on this item. Pretty much makes the usage of custom vm useless having it in the same storage account...

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know if I should laugh or cry ... the best solution is to spin up a VM which uses the custom script extension to copy a VM image from a different storage account into the new storage account, then you spin up the VM that you actually wanted. Now you are left with a VM that you don't need up an running (and costing you money).

Maybe this would fit into Azure Backup somehow (with proper ARM template support)?

• Martin Crimes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any chance of an update on this issue? It appears to have gone silent a long time ago despite the high vote count & the suggestion it might be improved upon some 18 months back.

• John Garland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This also complicates any use of the "Deploy to Azure" button for using templates to provision VM's based on Custom Images - there's a solution whereby a "Transfer VM" is stood up as an intermediary - (see https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/paulomarques/2016/04/07/azure-arm-template-to-deploy-a-new-vm-in-a-new-storage-account-deployed-at-same-time-from-a-custom-image However, that's a bit of a (clever/useful) hack around a problem that would be better solved at its core.

It's been about 18 months since the most recent "Under Review" comment was posted. Any update?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base