How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Allow me to select drive letter for the temp drive in virtual machine.

Customers have been asking for this every since IAAS went into preview. There are many customer migrating their on premise applications to Azure IAAS. Some of these applications have hard references to D: drive. It is possible to manually move temp drive from D: to another drive letter but it is hard to automate this. A simple fix for this is to move this temp drive to a Z: drive. A better fix may be to allow Azure Portal and PowerShell to select the drive letter for the temp drive during VM creation process.

This will simplify migrations.

452 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rajinder Singh shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any progress to be reported on this? Since the letter can be changed post-deployment (in an awkward way) it looks like this should not be too difficult to implement as an option during deployment?

• Samir FARHAT (MVP) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all,
        I know it's a limitation, but if you change the ephemeral disk letter after deploying the VM, it will stay this way, even if you deallocate the VM.
        We made this part of the VM deployments on Azure, change the ephemeral disk letter to another letter

• Rob Plank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about moving the page file to a mount point on the C drive so no drive letters are used.

• Walter Myers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree 100%, having encountered this on a SharePoint project. This may be a small thing, but is a pain for our customers that want to change their disk configuration.

Feedback and Knowledge Base