How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Allow multiple reserved IP addresses be assigned to a single VM

Currently you can only have one reserved (static) public IP for a given Azure VM. This limits any case where you would want to run multiple SSL enabled sites/applications on the standard 443 port.

I understand there is support for SNI SSL with host headers but not all applications and devices support this feature. Current competition in you market allow up to 5 IPs. A limit I believe is still arbitrarily low given the power of your larger VM instances available.

49 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Austin Sabel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can a single reserved IP address can be assign to another VM , After deleting the existing vm with the IP

• Tim B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was trying to migrate a system to Azure VMs while we refactor to make necessary changes to run stateless and its a real hard sell to tell my customers they need to quadruple their infrastructure cost because they cant have multiple web applications with web services on a single VM because they cant have more than a single public IP address.

Because of this I have customers forced to go to AWS and others.

This is a common setup and while SNI is great for modern browsers its not supported by the vast majority of the people who consume older WCF services so its hard for me to advise people to move to Azure where they lose basic functionality that is everywhere else.

Until this is resolved I have no choice but to develop for AWS and advise my customers as such for any existing applications not ready for PaaS.

• Farzin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature, It is very important because of having multiple domain name on a VM

• Cedar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of this feature severely limits our ability to put our dev environment on Azure, let alone our prod environment.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a severe limitation for those of us who want to set up a vm hosting multiple https sites.

• hans.olav@linkmobility.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the exact same issue. I have a service with many domain names and I have to set up one cloud service with reserved ip for each domain to support ip-based SSL certificates :(

Feedback and Knowledge Base