How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Add Dedicated Instances

Amazon AWS has the option to have Dedicated Instances for an increased charge, which means your VMs run on single tenant hardware instead of being shared with other Amazon customers. I suggest that Microsoft needs to add this feature to Azure. We have customers demanding that our service be run in an environment not shared by others. Here is the link to the Amazon offering for comparison purposes.

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/purchasing-options/dedicated-instances/

49 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bruno Campolo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Matthew Steeples commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just as a follow up, I'm aware that the feature would drastically increase the effect of downtime should the physical host fail, but that's a trade-off in our scenarios we'd be willing to make so I wouldn't suggest it as default but it would be nice to have it as a "best effort" option (as obviously the spread of VMs in the datacentre and the number and size of VMs grouped together might make this difficult to accommodate exactly).

• Matthew Steeples commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know whether this counts as the same feature or a different one, but we'd like to be able to "pool" our VM resources together.

Eg we have 8 Small VMs running. Rather than them having 1 core each would it be possible for them to share 8 cores between them so that any slack from 1 can be taken advantage of in another?

Feedback and Knowledge Base