How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

rename vm

Add the ability to rename a VM. The VM name is what appears in Azure, not the DNS name.

Changing a VM's name should not affect the VM in any way. If you need a unique identifier for a VM that does not change, I suggest using a GUID rather than the VM's name in Azure.

407 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Daniel Barbalace shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

47 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Suzuki Daisuke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to change the disk name of virtual machine.
        Currently the disk name of the VM is provided by Azure automatically and is not allowed to change. However, it is convenience for me to change the disk name in order to operate and maintain azure resources. At least, I would like to change the "deploy name" of VM disk.

-About Virtual Machine Disks in Azure
        https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn790303.aspx
        "When you attach a new data disk to a virtual machine, you can provide a name for the .vhd file that is used for the disk, but Azure provides a name for the disk. The name consists of the cloud service name, the virtual machine name, and a numeric identifier."

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One thing to watch with this will be other services that depend on that name. Not sure if Azure could identify this but if you use Azure Automation for anything it's name specific and would break if the name changes.

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to rename my VM. It looks like I need to delete my vm and create a new one with the correct name.

I hope this feature makes it.

1 3 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base