How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

rename vm

Add the ability to rename a VM. The VM name is what appears in Azure, not the DNS name.

Changing a VM's name should not affect the VM in any way. If you need a unique identifier for a VM that does not change, I suggest using a GUID rather than the VM's name in Azure.

474 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Daniel Barbalace shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

64 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Henri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft forgot the customers demands. 3 years to do this is so crazy, like unbelieveable.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking for VM name change in Azure Portal without recreation of VM using VHD/Disk.

Issues like this give Azure newbies the impression that MS doesn't take cloud hosting seriously. Or their customers seriously. So you repurposed a server? Well you're stuck with the old name whether you like it or not. You need to get into the server named "AppA"? Well just go to the server named "TestXYZ". Huh??

• Deane Hardwick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another option is to make a backup and restore with the new name. It certainly would be nice to simply rename though...

• Carl Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On my team, we are learning through trial and error how to set up an Azure environment for the first time. A few of us have created machines (and other resources) and we're finally settling on a naming convention we all like. Now that we know HOW we want to name things, we would like to rename the resources we already have.

Wouldn't it be in Microsoft's best interest to figure out how to enable this feature? Otherwise, our only option is to delete our VMs and re-allocate them! I'm pretty sure we all have better things to do than waste time and resources like this.

Dear Microsoft, it has been 2+ years since this oversight was brought to your attention! How much more time do you need to 'consider' fixing this?

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every resources and app name should be able to rename!!

It is a pain to delete and recreate due to wrong naming. Also, some app such as network interface and Vnet requires you to disable before you can delete.

Every resource should be possible to rename. Everytime I start to try Azure again for some purpose, I really get soo frustrated by the inability of renaming of any of the resources really makes quit trying to get something done on azure.

• MK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to change both DNS name and Azure DISPLAY so the two agree is a pretty basic feature and rather important for those who need to support servers without the use of a secret decoder ring or table of name translations.

Feedback and Knowledge Base