How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

rename vm

Add the ability to rename a VM. The VM name is what appears in Azure, not the DNS name.

Changing a VM's name should not affect the VM in any way. If you need a unique identifier for a VM that does not change, I suggest using a GUID rather than the VM's name in Azure.

480 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Daniel Barbalace shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

64 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be easier. We clone systems using ZERTO into Azure all the time. Well, the name that gets applied is a derivation of the original system name with a date stamp or something. I need to rename it to what the new servername will be.

Add the ability to rename a VM. Changing a VM's name should not affect the VM in any way.

This should be a standard feature. Please consider implementing this and/or attaching the Name field as a tag.

• Justin King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The name should be just a simple tag.

That's how AWs does it.
    That's how GCP does it
    That's how VMware does it
    That's how Hyper-V does it ..

Azure tried to get too clever and guess the intent of the name field. You guys guessed wrong. Use a UUID under the hood and revert this to a tag. Or at least let us add a 'name' tag that visually replaces the name in the console at least.

this is crazy not to have this ability.
    in AWS it is as simple as changing the tag for 'Name' on the instance

• David Lean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I realise that it is possible to write a powershell script that identifies all resources in a VM (disk nic). Deletes the VM, Then recreates the VM with a new name. It runs in less than a minute.
    It is also possible to do something similar to rename disks. (copy to new name, delete old & reattach)

As I could write a Rename-AzureRmVM & Rename-AzureRMManagedDisk function in a short period of time. (less than 4.5 years) Perhaps the Azure team might consider doing the same thing, while they are thinking about doing it better in the API.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base