How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

rename vm

Add the ability to rename a VM. The VM name is what appears in Azure, not the DNS name.

Changing a VM's name should not affect the VM in any way. If you need a unique identifier for a VM that does not change, I suggest using a GUID rather than the VM's name in Azure.

374 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Daniel Barbalace shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

43 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Vivek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

current rename process taking too much time, its one of the key features that;s need to implicate soon.

• tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Four years later, and it's still not a feature. Neat.

This was so basic, I wasted probably ten minutes trying to figure out what I was missing. Didn't even consider that it was a feature that just hadn't been built yet, or worse, that developers architected themselves into a corner and did something daft like keying off of the object name instead of some unique identifier like, oh i dunno, uuid.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with what people wrote here. Not being able to rename resources is a big blocker and wastes a lot of time.
        One might think that this is a business decision so that users will have to have 2 times the same VM until everything has been ported from the old to the new (correctly named) VM.

Renaming resources should be a basic feature unrelated to anything within the VM or other resources.

• Ashley Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You have to admit.. @Microsoft you have a huge flaw here which is causing deep concern to customers migrating or setting up an azure infrastructure.. Why can't you provide one simple option?

• PSC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe that is why Azure is still on 2nd and AWS is on top. This is basic need.

This should be a baseline functionality. Please add a supported method of easily renaming a VM in Azure.

• Lonny Motto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Use the GUID" answers the question of how to determine uniqueness and side-steps the argument proposed here completely. How do you rename a VM?

This seems like a result of the ARM design that they should have at least provided an easy solution for. And not powershell, because redeploy doesn't account for all the variables associated with a VM, like extensions, backups, multiple nics, etc.

If they haven't provided this by now, they never will.

• Ray Koukari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can't rename VMs...you can't search by IP...are you guys using Access 2010 as the db backend too?

• Ronald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How many votes will it take to get this from 'under review' to 'We'll fix it'?
        Carl Anderson below explained exactly why I want this seemingly obvious feature.

Yes permit VM and even resource group renaming, this is a basic given which is required!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base