How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Static MAC address

We need static MAC addresses on the vm's network cards due to the licensing model of the software we need to install.

We cant obtain new licenses every time the MAC address changes.

Having the ability to change the address back to the original might also work for us

625 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Pete Sciacchetano shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

49 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Azure Networking Team, Is this implemented in the SEA datacenter yet? I have a partner who implemented ABBY, they have the same issue in December.

• Ed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Contratulations @Pete, and only 3 years to have it implemented!

No really, when will static MAC id's be completed? We had an Azure server reboot this morning and it reset the MAC address, breaking our production ESRI license server.

This should have been an out of the box setting from day freaking one - the lost production time far outweighs any savings we saw by using Azure over Amazon Web Services....

• Max Feulien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this issue? I'm sorry, but Azure is dropping the ball here. This should be an out of the box option. Really disappointed with Azure up to now.

• Mark Berry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just stopped and started a VM. The MAC address changed. How do we know if the static MAC through a stop/restart has been implemented for a particular server? Where in the portal can I see and set the MAC address for my VM?

You said "The work to maintain a static MAC address through a stop (deallocated) and restart operation is rolling out currently"

Q: Does this also cover Restore-from-backup scenarios - where the MAC address persists post a VM restore (using Azure Backup)

• Danny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto. It would be really helpful to provide an update as to when we can expect this enhancement to be rolled out to each region

• Brandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great to hear there is some progress on this. Our software is tied to the MAC address.

• bu11etpr00f commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow. It's been "PLANNED" for over 2-Years now...seems kind of like VaporWare to me...which is just sad. :( All the competition already offers this to their users.

• Scott Varcoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really need this to be done. It's a no go on Azure until we can run software that has MAC address based licensing. Sigh.

• David Summers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Corey, this is now the future.

It has been

Days : 757
        Hours : 11
        Minutes : 6
        Seconds : 45
        Milliseconds : 719
        Ticks : 654448057198792
        TotalDays : 757.463029165268
        TotalHours : 18179.1126999664
        TotalMinutes : 1090746.76199799
        TotalSeconds : 65444805.7198792
        TotalMilliseconds : 65444805719.8792

Since the last update

I am currently in the process of planning an ASR move of an ArcGIS server to Azure that uses the primary NIC for licensing based on the MAC address so the legacy loopback NIC workaround will not apply for me. When would this feature be released?

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base