How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Static MAC address

We need static MAC addresses on the vm's network cards due to the licensing model of the software we need to install.

We cant obtain new licenses every time the MAC address changes.

Having the ability to change the address back to the original might also work for us

625 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Pete Sciacchetano shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

55 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tom Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft Support have responded (September 2018) with the following...

MAC preservation was fully deployed to all prod public cloud regions, RDFE and NRP on August 2nd, 2016 (8/2/2016).

No customer action is required for MAC preservation to be effective for new or existing VMs. This means all management operations (e.g. stop/stopdeallocate/restart/redeploy) against a new or existing VM will preserve the MAC address. The only exceptions are that deleting and recreating the VM from the same disk will not preserve the MAC address, and if you use the Azure static IP feature to set a static IP, the MAC address will be changed when you enable the static IP, will remain the same as long as the same static IP is set, and will change again if you ever change or remove the static IP. Note that setting a static IP address in the guest in TCP/IP properties is still unsupported and should not be done.

Your Private IP is tagged to your MAC address. So if you make that as static or reserved, you MAC Address will not change.

I then asked if they could confirm whether the MAC address will stay static for these events too?

• Unplanned Hardware Maintenance Event (Live Migration)
        • Unexpected Downtime
        • Planned Maintenance events

Their response was:

Yes , MAC will not change for below events unless you make your Private IP static.

• Rahul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tested on one of my ARM VM, and it did retain the MAC through a stop-deallocate and re-start.

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Asking for a friend, do we know that persistent MAC addresses do work in Azure?

• Don Petry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree this does not appear to be functioning as expected. VM's rebooted due to forced maintenance experienced MAC address change.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Azure Networking Team, Is this implemented in the SEA datacenter yet? I have a partner who implemented ABBY, they have the same issue in December.

• Ed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Contratulations @Pete, and only 3 years to have it implemented!

No really, when will static MAC id's be completed? We had an Azure server reboot this morning and it reset the MAC address, breaking our production ESRI license server.

This should have been an out of the box setting from day freaking one - the lost production time far outweighs any savings we saw by using Azure over Amazon Web Services....

• Max Feulien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this issue? I'm sorry, but Azure is dropping the ball here. This should be an out of the box option. Really disappointed with Azure up to now.

• Mark Berry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just stopped and started a VM. The MAC address changed. How do we know if the static MAC through a stop/restart has been implemented for a particular server? Where in the portal can I see and set the MAC address for my VM?

You said "The work to maintain a static MAC address through a stop (deallocated) and restart operation is rolling out currently"

Q: Does this also cover Restore-from-backup scenarios - where the MAC address persists post a VM restore (using Azure Backup)

• Danny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto. It would be really helpful to provide an update as to when we can expect this enhancement to be rolled out to each region

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base