How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Ability to mount a blob or virtual disk as an iSCSI device

Either blobs or virtual disks should be mountable as as an iSCSI device. Right now, I'd have to create a windows server with an iSCSI target. This seems like madness because the blob is already some kind of virtual device.

iSCSI is ideal for clustering and availability services and would solve problems with SQL Server clusters and other Windows Server cluster requirements.

98 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Grant Henderson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

www.Stonefly.com can provision iSCSI in Azure and serve it. You can connect your on or off premise
        servers of naykind(as lonfg as they have iSCSI initiator and give to Apps as local Drive .

• Ron Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know it is possible to attach a blob VHD (disk) to a VM that serves as an iSCSI target. Once the disk is attached to the iSCSI target it can then be used to create another VHD that is then configured to be accessed by two iSCSI initiators. However, this means putting a VHD on a VHD which is totally inefficient. I should be able to use my blob VHD as an iSCSI target directly.

Feedback and Knowledge Base