How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Allow resize of attached VHD-disks

Right now you cannot resize your VHD-disks once attached to a VM directly from the portal. Edit should be possible to at least increase the size of VHD-disks on demand.

189 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jesper Jønsson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • David O'Keefe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As previously noted, Microsoft charges for the provisioned space of a managed disk. We cannot grossly oversize disks because of the cost. We need the ability to resize managed disks without deprovisioning the VM.

• TJ Cornish commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This creates a problem when trying to retrieve a VHD back to on-prem - the fully-populated VHD size may exceed the disk space of the on-prem machine, even though the used data of the VHD is small.

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is great if you are setting up a new server or have the ability to just rebuild a server(s) but what about exiting servers that need to be increased?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, say that my C: drive is already at 127GB, but I really need to increase it. What are my options?

• Toni Benamar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does this work under Linux (Ubuntu, ext4 filesystem), i.e. can I safely allocate very large disk and assume that I will be billed for used space only?

Feedback and Knowledge Base