How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Allow resize of attached VHD-disks

Right now you cannot resize your VHD-disks once attached to a VM directly from the portal. Edit should be possible to at least increase the size of VHD-disks on demand.

173 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jesper Jønsson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Corey Sanders [MSFT] responded  · 

Given the sparse nature of Windows Azure Storage and with recent announcement for trim support on guest OS’s that support trim, the need for resizing should be reduced, as you should just assume you start with the largest size possible and only pay for what you use.

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David O'Keefe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As previously noted, Microsoft charges for the provisioned space of a managed disk. We cannot grossly oversize disks because of the cost. We need the ability to resize managed disks without deprovisioning the VM.

• TJ Cornish commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This creates a problem when trying to retrieve a VHD back to on-prem - the fully-populated VHD size may exceed the disk space of the on-prem machine, even though the used data of the VHD is small.

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is great if you are setting up a new server or have the ability to just rebuild a server(s) but what about exiting servers that need to be increased?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, say that my C: drive is already at 127GB, but I really need to increase it. What are my options?

• Toni Benamar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does this work under Linux (Ubuntu, ext4 filesystem), i.e. can I safely allocate very large disk and assume that I will be billed for used space only?

Feedback and Knowledge Base