How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Upload VHDX

A support for uploading VHDX images would be great. With that it wouldn't be necessary anymore to migrate a VHDX to VHD before.

332 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Horizon_Net shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The status of this item has been moved back to Under Review. We initially planned to move to VHDX support as part of our support for HyperV Gen2 VMs, but we ended up using the VHD format for Gen2 VMs as well. Some aspects of the Azure Infrastructure do not cleanly support VHDX OS or data disks. So this feature is dependent on some of these internal services being updated which is an ongoing process.

24 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Bruno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Site Recovery does work with Gen2 but it is converted to vhd. Although you can easily convert to vhd I'd like to see Gen2 support as well.

• Havard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is recommended to use VHDX and Gen2 on Hyper-V. But it is not possible to migrate these VMs to Azure and Azure Site Recovery does not work with Gen2.

• Zach Peer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need the same capability of having a shared folder with high availability and read/write capability. If this option was available I would be able to move a lot more of my applications to Azure.

• Rafael Leonhardt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to have a shared folder with high availability and read/write capability.

I think .VHDX is the answer attaching it on multiples VMs.

2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base