How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Upload VHDX

A support for uploading VHDX images would be great. With that it wouldn't be necessary anymore to migrate a VHDX to VHD before.

712 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Horizon_Net shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • KenB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Coming up on 5 years of "looking into it". Needed this yesterday. Let's go!

• Robert Sloan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if Microsoft announced Gen2 support instead of leaving everyone in the dark. It makes you wonder if they are even working on it.

• Cliff Schomburg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would someone from the Azure product team validate this feedback and provide a response? This is an important feature for many of us based on the comments below and total number of votes.

• Stefan Cuypers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want to implement Azure site recovery, but have over 50 servers that are Generation 2 with GPT boot disk. That does not seem to work for Azure site recovery which essentially makes it unusable for us.

• TJ Cornish commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed - "Cloud First" is running on a platform 2 generations old. Let's go here folks!

We need VHDX support because of the time it takes to downconvert during an Azure Site Recovery failover operation. This adds 20 minutes to an hour to recovery time.

• Troy Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still waiting to hear (over 2yrs now on OP) when Gen2/VHDX will be supported...I feel like calling out "Bueller...Bueller..."

• Kelvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've not seen any more feedback on this issue, although that's not to say it hasn't been implemented (hopefully it has) but would appreciate some specific confirmation on full Gen2/VHDX support on Azure - and if still not done, when please ? Thanks

• Thomas Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need support for larger disks in particular - and that means we need VHDXs supported.

This feedback has been around for over a year - is there any likely timescale?

• Thomas Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This bit of feedback has been around now for over three years. Is there any likely time frame for adding this? It is a deployment barrier to many of my customers who had and need larger VHDXs.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's kind of embarassing to MS that Azure doesn't support VHDX, drives over 1TB, and many other Hyper-V premium features. It makes Microsoft's cloud story a lot less persuasive. Glad I wasn't an all-in early adopter and only used Azure when it made direct financial sense. Though even then, I'm running into obstacles with ASR. Luckily I have other options. I feel bad for those that thought "Cloud First" was anything other than a marketing slogan and an excuse to not work on the on-prem System Center, Exchange, and SharePoint, and instead force customers into inferior and more expensive cloud offerings.

• TJ Cornish commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on timing? We're testing Azure Site Recovery and the down-converting of the VHDX to VHD means our failover time is 30 minutes or more for a small virtual machine, vs. just a few minutes for a machine that doesn't require a drive conversion.

Downgrading our production servers to VHD is not an acceptable tradeoff.

• Luke Latham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still "planned" ... from August of 2013 to December of 2015?? I'm just trying to take my shiny new Nano Server .vhdx image that I just created and get it mounted out of blob storage as an ARM VM in the new Azure Portal. I guess I'll have to dig into PS commands, but I don't understand why its taking so long to have such a simple feature put into the new Azure Portal.

• Luke Latham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WHY is this taking so long????? We have Nano Server out in TP4 now (Dec, 2015), we're making .vhdx images to mount, and we can't mount them into ARM VM's in the new Azure Portal yet. Good grief! This was filed by the OP in March!

• Jon Sykes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will vhdx support be available? adding 1TB disks to IaaS VMs is ridiculous to try to meet storage requirements

• Bruno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Site Recovery does work with Gen2 but it is converted to vhd. Although you can easily convert to vhd I'd like to see Gen2 support as well.

• Havard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is recommended to use VHDX and Gen2 on Hyper-V. But it is not possible to migrate these VMs to Azure and Azure Site Recovery does not work with Gen2.

• Zach Peer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need the same capability of having a shared folder with high availability and read/write capability. If this option was available I would be able to move a lot more of my applications to Azure.

← Previous 1

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base