How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Ability to move virtual machines to a different region

Ability to move virtual machines to a different region

418 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tom Kerkhove shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this ability or create a Microsoft official Azure Powershell template script for the steps required to move the existing VM's vhd to the new region. Like many others have said, this is a must have ability as there are imposed limitations to how many active cores are allowed to exist on one region.

• Dustin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's ridiculous that this basic functionality is still not baked into Azure.

• Tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is basic functionality which Microsoft are ignoring. I can't see any reason why this wasn't in the release of Azure or not considered as a priority. Only way of doing this right now is to copy the blobcontainer to a new storage account and recreate the whole VM.

4 years later and nothing..?

• Ivan Ignatiev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

GDPR is comming, are there any new features coming to make a copy of site on another region or migrate compute and storage resources between regions ?

Thank you !

• Olivier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. I had the same issue but it's not really about changing the region, it's about the availability set.

When i created my VM, there were some bug on the UI of the portal and I was not able to select the correct availability set.
        What happens ? 2 vm are on different availabiltiy set.
        Now, these vm are heavy used and sometimes it gives error because one vm need the second to have the work done.

I contacted azure support and they tell me that there is a way to do that : I need to delete the VM (without deleting the disk), then i need to create a new vm and uses the existing disk.

This is an operation that I want to avoid because even if it seems simple, it's a production vm where i don't want to play with.

Why not give the possiblity on the portal to "move" the vm to another availabily set ?
        On your side, i don't think there are a lot of step to do, and i'm SURE it will make people more confortable with that.

Feedback and Knowledge Base