How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Ability to move virtual machines to a different region

Ability to move virtual machines to a different region

881 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Tom Kerkhove shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is basic functionality which Microsoft are ignoring. I can't see any reason why this wasn't in the release of Azure or not considered as a priority. Only way of doing this right now is to copy the blobcontainer to a new storage account and recreate the whole VM.

4 years later and nothing..?

• Ivan Ignatiev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

GDPR is comming, are there any new features coming to make a copy of site on another region or migrate compute and storage resources between regions ?

Thank you !

• Olivier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. I had the same issue but it's not really about changing the region, it's about the availability set.

When i created my VM, there were some bug on the UI of the portal and I was not able to select the correct availability set.
        What happens ? 2 vm are on different availabiltiy set.
        Now, these vm are heavy used and sometimes it gives error because one vm need the second to have the work done.

I contacted azure support and they tell me that there is a way to do that : I need to delete the VM (without deleting the disk), then i need to create a new vm and uses the existing disk.

This is an operation that I want to avoid because even if it seems simple, it's a production vm where i don't want to play with.

Why not give the possiblity on the portal to "move" the vm to another availabily set ?
        On your side, i don't think there are a lot of step to do, and i'm SURE it will make people more confortable with that.

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base