How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Add option to control VM agent log placement and rotation

Currently all the agents that can be deployed onto an Azure Windows VM log into two hardwired folders: C:\WindowsAzure and C:\Packages\Plugins.

Also, much (all?) of the actual agent binaries are also placed in these files, including any newer versions.

Unfortunately neither the logs, nor the older defunct binaries are removed. Using 30+ Windows VMs for around a year, with Diagnostic Agents, Backup Agents, DSC lcm, and others. Neither of these clean up any of their "litters" generated during their operation.

This means, the above folders (especially WIndowsAzure) continues to grow indefinitely. Currently these are on around 3-5GB of size for me... all in all this is around 130-160 GB of junk stored on my disks that I am paying for.

Of course I could write a simple cmdlet purging these files on a fixed schedule. But it would be way more elegant and efficient if these would be rotated (purged) by the individual Azure agent binaries themselves.

Could all these agents be enhanced to allow such a rotation / purge mechanism to keep tabs on C: drive usage please?

1 vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Peter Krall shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base