How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Provide an API to tell whether a promo VM size is expired

There doesn't seem to be any way to tell via the VM APIs that a promo size is expired in a region.

Eg, in West US, the "list sizes" API includes promo sizes like Standard_DS3_v2_Promo in the result, and the usages API says I have quota for standardDSv2PromoFamily, so it looks like I should be able to create a Standard_DS3_v2_Promo VM, but I can't.

There needs to be a way to tell this programatically. "Look in the portal, it's grayed out" is NOT an API. "Read this blog post" is NOT an API.

Maybe this should be included as a capability or restriction under the ResourceSkus API?

1 vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tyler Sarna shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Tyler Sarna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Correction: Actually, it seems I can create instances of the expired promo sizes... but still, one shouldn't, and there should be a way to know programmatically that the size is expired

Feedback and Knowledge Base