How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Virtual machine console access

There is no VMConnect capability for console access to the VM as there is with Hyper-V.

So in the situation where I lost connectivity, by misconfiguration, or system failure, is there only one very time and bandwith consuming way to fix it - download the VHDs on-premise, boot it in Hyper-V and VMConnect to repair VM, then upload all GBs back to the Azure...

I requesting console access, also with ability to mount some image for repair and boot from it (as we do it in standard environment).

1,892 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Zdenek shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminAzure portal team (Admin, Microsoft Azure) responded  · 

I’m very happy to share that the serial console access for Azure virtual machines, Linux and Windows (via Special Admin Console), has entered Public Preview!

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/virtual-machine-serial-console-access/

We know this has been a long time coming. We know you’ll probably still have some feedback on this implementation. That’s great! Give it a try, let us know how it’s working, and how we can make it better.

261 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tom Terrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously? serial console? Who exactly was looking for that? We are looking for RDP type console access. It is inconceivable that Microsoft didn't include this type of access. We're having a problem with the RDS configuration and cant remote into one of our servers...

• Louis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with other comments that state this should not be marked complete. Perhaps the original request should have been more specific, but I think an experience identical or similar to Hyper-V console access would make everyone a lot more happy.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

RDP-style console access has been available on Azure competitors for a long time. This should have been available since the beginning. Please prioritize.

• Michael Gorn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We still can't get full RDP-style access to the Windows VM, so I am not sure why this was marked as completed.

• leo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems to me that a feature was completed, but not the feature that many of us wanted. I guess it's time to give nested virtualization a try.

Wish I could find the exact permission that this uses. I don't want to give my developers the full VM Contributor right as I have made a customer permission scheme for them, How about creating a serial console permission inside of the Virtual Machine Contributor role.

There is also an issue where a subscriber will lose access to a windows VM through RDP if the Network Access: Sharing and security model for local accounts is set to “Guest Only”, in the local security policy of the windows VM. Even the local administrator will not be able to RDP into the VM. This is only an issue for windows workgroup VMs in Azure. This might be exploited by a virus or a malware. An administrator also might accidentally enable this as "Guest only" as part of windows hardening.

@Samir FARHAT
        Is it a target for this year or will it take as long to implement it as this request has been open so far (since March 2013)?

• Akash Kava commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Primary reason of connectivity failure is network configuration !! We chose windows over linux just for the UI, if we wanted to be happy with console, we would have never chosen windows !! This console is useless for windows administrators !!

I see there is a command line for Windows but not full RDP-style access to the console GUI on Windows. Also, the original request above asked for ability to mount ISOs and to boot off them. When would those features be added?

• PJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is inconceivable that this very basic function isn't available for Windows Servers. Private Cloud providers can give you this. Why can't Microsoft? But then again, this is typical of Microsoft. They use mob style tactics to bully MSPs and other SMBs into Office 365, Exchange and Azure. Then they give you a platform that is in many ways pretty inflexible. This post should have tens of thousands of votes. Come one people.

• Julian Elischer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are two issues here:
        direct video console needed for people using graphical based (windows) machines, and a serial port capture for people running unix-like headless servers.
        Serial is better when you need to log the output or access it through a low bandwidth connection.
        video/keyboard/mouse is better if that's all you support (windows).

For me serial console is way more important as all my servers are headless (unix) and I just need to get to the boot options prior to the OS loading (and console once it has) to do Command line stuff.
        p.s. the signup asks for a URI for your subscription ID.. as much as I look I can't find it in that form.. how do I convert my subscription ID into a URI? (add http://(something) on the front?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base