How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Virtual machine console access

There is no VMConnect capability for console access to the VM as there is with Hyper-V.

So in the situation where I lost connectivity, by misconfiguration, or system failure, is there only one very time and bandwith consuming way to fix it - download the VHDs on-premise, boot it in Hyper-V and VMConnect to repair VM, then upload all GBs back to the Azure...

I requesting console access, also with ability to mount some image for repair and boot from it (as we do it in standard environment).

1,954 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Zdenek shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

272 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Thomas Thornton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many times it's been a thought that an issue(mainly network related) could be resolved if there was direct console access to the Virtual Machine. - not just the serial console already available.

Console access would also mitigate the troubleshooting steps already offered including redeploying the NIC and/or virtual machine.

Hopefully this is upvoted!

• Frank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like Bastion still requires the RDP service to be running to use. So situations before OS loading like getting stuck in an Automatic Recovery loop will still be an issue.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There was another thread on this topic somewhere a few years ago where this was discussed and someone from MS stated it was being worked on. Like others, i need VMware style full console to my servers. I would love to move the last bits of vmware i have to a public cloud but no vendors have this feature yet. Will MS be the first to do it? It would be a game changer in my opinion.

Hi, console access is a fundamental things o have, it's a hassle dealing with boot issues/when the VM is unresponsive

• Zane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cmon microsoft... a very fundamental feature missing here! Great we can create VM's but its a plain hassle having to RDP to em instead of accesing them via the Azure portal directly in web brower.

Please sort it out. Clearly there is many people here wanting this feature.

• Michael Gorn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since this feature was actually never implemented, it's open for voting again. Please vote to show Microsoft that we still need real console on VMs on Azure!

• KERR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm new to Azure and really disappointed about the lack of this vital feature after having the VMware console for years in case of emergency/out of band support. The serial console thingy is nowhere near what anyone wants/needs. It's not the feature requested in the original feedback request. Clearly MS aren't listening.

Open this request again. Its a request. Its good for users and MS as well. Lot of customer don't switch to Azure considering it doesn't provide the console.

Please re-open this request. This request was NOT for serial access. It was for "Console Access". Like in VMware Console. This was closed erroneously and needs to be re-opened!!!!

• Tom Terrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously? serial console? Who exactly was looking for that? We are looking for RDP type console access. It is inconceivable that Microsoft didn't include this type of access. We're having a problem with the RDS configuration and cant remote into one of our servers...

• Louis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with other comments that state this should not be marked complete. Perhaps the original request should have been more specific, but I think an experience identical or similar to Hyper-V console access would make everyone a lot more happy.

RDP-style console access has been available on Azure competitors for a long time. This should have been available since the beginning. Please prioritize.

We still can't get full RDP-style access to the Windows VM, so I am not sure why this was marked as completed.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base