How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Offer SMB 3.0 support for Windows 7 machines.

We need an update to enable SMB 3.0 support for Windows 7 machines. Older projects using NET USE scripts to attach to Azure storage can no longer access their containers.
Windows 7 machines that use to access the file shares in a storage account can no longer connect to file shares using the NET USE command. As a long time user of Azure it feels like Microsoft has left us behind. Upgrading all our users to win 10 is not an easy task..

15 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Man I spun my wheels for hours on the "System error 5" problem, which resulted in a wild goose chase until I realized that it was an SMB problem.

As it is, now I have to upgrade half our fleet to Windows 10.

There must be millions of workstations out there on Windows 7, so I like the suggestion to make it compatible.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. You must have the code, the file system should be pluggable. Isn't encryption the main issue? It feels like some sort of intractable decision to make those of us with large installations of Win 7 go through some upgrade.

• scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is crazy that it doesn't work with windows 7. We love the VM concept but no remote mapping on Window 7 is a major problem for us!

Feedback and Knowledge Base