How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Low On Memory Error: Server 2016, B series

I just spun up a brand new Standard B1ms (1 vcpu, 2 GB memory), all I did was login to the VM and am getting out of memory errors (which would tell me windows server 2016 doesn't really support this level of VM size). Also it fails to retrieve updates - this is just a plain vanilla OOB/first run experience. Additionally you can't login and click the start button - you have to click it about 10 times to get the menu to pop up - this is probably more of a windows issue but I'd expect it to at least the basics to function.

10 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sean McNellis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Seth Thibodeaux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Created VM using Win 2016/Sql 2016 Std image on a B2S instance (2 vCPU / 4 GB RAM). Wanted to use it for some for non-production work. Shortly after RDPing into the VM I began receiving low memory warnings and Management Studio crashed every couple minutes inside of my RDP session. Next time I'll look at adjusting the page file size, but this is experience was disappointing.

• Bill Hixon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this almost seems like false advertising to present this as a usable server. It did the same thing to me. I actually started with the 1GB RAM system, and it was a huge disappointment. I had to immediately go to 2GB, and I'm still getting the error. I'll try the 3880 virtual memory to see if that helps, but I really was hoping to use this as a terminal server for a half dozen users.

• Stewart Campbell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got round this by increasing the virtual memory to 3880 on the temporary storage drive. Its slow but updates will install. It would be interesting to see if a Windows Server Core installation suffered from the same problem.

• Patricia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all,

Same problem here. I've just installed google chrome and I am getting the same error. Any ideas how to solve?

Thanks

Feedback and Knowledge Base