How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Allow empty LicenseType value in VM properties.

I have a generic template that contains everything I need to deploy a fully configured VM.

Normally we use HUB-licensed images, so my template contains the "LicenseType" property with value "Windows_Server".

However, in some specific cases I need to deploy a VM based on an image from the marketplace. The deployment then fails with en error: "Image <xxxx> is neither from on-premises nor eligible for Hybrid Use Benefits (HUB)."
But the only allowed values for LicenceType are "Windows_Server" or "Windows_Client". Passing an empty value ("" or null) raises an error.

So I need to remove the LicenseType property from my template, which means I need additional templates: one set for HUB-images and another set for non-HUB images.

This kind defeats the purpose of templates. where ideally we would need a single template and a bunch of parameter files.

Please provide a parameter we can use for LicenseType for non-HUB images.

3 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Stanley Merkx shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Matt Padfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm finding that 'None' is accepted (case sensitive), so the possible values I need to generate are:
        "licenseType": "None"
        "licenseType": "Windows_Server"
        "licenseType": "Windows_Client"

• Stanley Merkx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And while we're at it: why does a marketplace image need a "plan" property which seemingly contains the same info as already present in the "imagereference" section?

This too makes it very difficult to have a single template that works for standard images and for marketplace images.

And there should be to accept an EULA from within a template: that would prevent "Error: Code=MarketplacePurchaseEligibilityFailed". Obviously this should be done in such a way that it doesn't interfere with regular non-marketplace images.

Feedback and Knowledge Base