How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Ability to migrate VMs with managed disks between subscriptions

Ability to migrate VMs with managed disks between subscriptions

I just spent a week building out a new IaaS based infrastructure (lots of VM's, load balancers, SQL AOAG cluster) under an ARM model and managed disks - only to find that migration of VMs with managed disks to another subscription is not yet supported.

I hope someone from the Azure management team understands why traditional IaaS infrastructures might begin under a test/dev subscription and then (when proved out and ready to run) – might be migrated to an Enterprise subscription. If and operations team attempts to use the latest technology (ie. ARM model and managed disks, etc. – as recommended via the portal) – they should not be surprised or hindered by such a constraint. We already have the ability to migrate a resource or resource group to another subscription. The ability to utilize this feature should remain consistent as Azure services and technologies develop.

98 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Benjamin Siegel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had this same problem. Created my VM in one subscription, but when I needed to use the enterprise subscription I couldn't migrate it! All my work is lost. I have to do it all over again

When can we expect this feature?
    This is a huge problem to us since we need to migrate several Pay as you go subs to CSP

• Mike Barratt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad to see its now in progress judging from the comments below. We currently actively avoid using managed disks because of this limitation.

• Poola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ******** ********! WTF push the managed disks when they are a freaking headache!!! Moronic!

• T.J. Barry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft has been pushing everyone to go to Managed disks since they were GA'd and you can't move them? Even internally in a subscription between resource groups? Seems like an absolutely necessary feature.

I will vote this feature, but we require something that can migrate a vm scale set with managed disks to csp subscription s

• Rohan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this should be a must feature. At present the workaround is to copy the managed disk to the target subscription and deploy VM using the copied disk through PowerShell. This becomes a pain when you have multiple data disks (managed).

• Partho Sankar Roy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an absolute need to be agile. Facing huge challenge due to the limitation, copy managed workfound does not seem feasible for VM's having more than a few data disks that with TB's of data.

• Michael S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hear, hear! I was recently at a Microsoft conference where the speakers basically said if we are not using managed disks, we are doing it wrong.

But if we do use managed disks, we can't move the VM's to another subscription???!!! That is nuts. This needs to be a supported feature.

• Jason Etheridge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree...all resources should be movable to other subscriptions, otherwise moves to Azure CSP subscriptions are painful and clients will not let us since there is downtime required. Why does it not work as seamlessly as Office 365 moves to CSP???

• Joe Carlyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is taking longer than expected at this stage. Hard to believe work hasn't started on it, or there hasn't been any feedback provided yet.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is immediately turning off customers interested in migrating to CSP. This should be a seemless task. Managed disks has been the bane of my existence

• Brad Householder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is killing our on-boarding of new customers where we are taking over PaYG accounts or EA accounts to load into our CSP subscriptions., If they are using managed disks (Azures flagship storage resource), we are forced to essentially rebuild all the VMs.

It also prevents partners such as ourselves from gaining the CSP Partner discounts which is costing us thousands of dollars a month.

I really hope MSFT gets this in the pipe, This may force partners to look at Google, or AWS clouds. where we can get partner discounts without the production workload hoop jumping.

• satake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we need above function for stabile resource migration. I believe this usability improvement will make azure env more friendly for users.

• Arnau. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree. What's the point of changing tonewfeatures (like managed disks) if we can't do the same as the old ones?

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree, and another example where recommended paths hit a blocker (inability to use Recovery Services to back up a SQL Server on Azure VMs with Clustered Shared Volumes is another)

Feedback and Knowledge Base