How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Ability to Hibernate VMs to support DevTest workflos

The new DevTest Azure portal feature has the ability to turn off VMs on a schedule to support dev/testing without breaking the budget. It would be nice if the VMs could be hibernated instead so that developers would not lose their development sessions/window settings etc. when they start off in the morning. But I understand that the ability to hibernate VMs in Azure is not currently a core feature that exists. It would be very nice if that feature could be added. I'm sure there are other use cases where VM hibernation could be very handy too.

107 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Arthur Blake shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Simon Sebright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the problem with this? Worried about losing revenue due to more efficient use of your machines? You may find the reverse, that people are more willing to use machines if they feel they can get the most out of them

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows 10 hibernate and deallocate please. Avoid wasted compute hours overnight. Would make a huge difference to VDI cost on Azure. Work with your partners Citrix on this.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Got to agree with the other comments. Most of our dev team would use the auto-start/stop feature of Azure test labs *if* auto-stop hibernated the vm. AWS allows this why not Azure? This feature has been requested for years.

• Prasad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a key feature that impedes movement from physical machines to Azure DevTest. I, and I know most of my colleagues are the same, that we don't really shut down our physical machines at the end of the day. Sometimes is can be 1 - 3 months (Windows has grown stable over the years!). Not having this ability is a real hindrance because I will be forced to shutdown the VM to save on running costs. Therefore in my opinion, it will drive the adoption of DevTest feature many times, if hibernation was implemented and it was quite fast at that.

• David Lucke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the end of the day, I and every other developer I work with, simply lock our machines, and go home. When we come in the next morning, we unlock it, and continue development where we left off. There's currently a push to get us off desktops and onto Azure, but that requires buy-in from the developers, and if your replacement solution requires adding a half-hour of pointless faff onto the start and end of every workday, you're just not going to get that. This is a must-have.

• David Christensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If hibernate wasn't important, it wouldn't be in the operating system. If you want me to be as keen about Azure as I am about the operating system, please put it in!

• Mike PB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to move to using an Azure development machine. I frequently work remotely and it would be highly beneficial to access my desktop directly via Azure rather than going through the office network. However my work involves interaction between several different applications, following highly complex workflows. Having to reboot and start from scratch every morning is therefore a non-starter. The ability to hibernate the VM is essential to migrating my main development to Azure, so this feature would be greatly appreciated.

• Andrew Bridges commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is simply no way I can give up my desktop PC to be replaced with an Azure VM without the ability to leave part-way through my work and come right back to it the next day. Many tasks are simply too complex to tackle in a single day. Even when they're not, life often intrudes, requiring me to leave the office without giving me the half hour of making sure files are saved, bookmarks are made, lists of reference materials are written down...

• Dylan Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Because of the complexity of the work I do, it sometimes takes several days to follow through a train of thought. Like most of my team, I rely on being able to pick up, in the morning, from where I was yesterday.

• James Islam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a key feature from developers and tester daily work cycle in Azure DEV Vm's. Hibernate feature will increase the productivity and motivation level as well for the azure dev users.

• Danny Moffatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One key feature we need from Azure is to be able to turn off the lights when we go home and turn them on again in the morning having all the chairs where we left them. To enable this we needs this fantastic feature.

• Stephen hollands commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very important to our operational and economic efficiency when choosing Azure to replace our current desktop estate.

• Antony Gibbs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+3 - This is critical for our global organisation of 40,000+ employees. We are looking to leverage Cloud in a big way, and currently have a program of zero-clients connecting to Azure-provisioned VMs, but by 'deallocating' these machines, we can effectively reduce costs by approximately 65-70% for compute. This feature - hibernating a VM and having the resources deallocate - is critical to the success of this adoption, as sometimes it can take a half-hour to get a VM back to the position it was in before being shut down the night before, which equates to lost productivity, and frustration for employees.

Feedback and Knowledge Base