How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Enalbe SQL Server Edition Upgrade when paying by the minute in Azure VM

When SQL Server is purchased as part of an Azure VM and a subscription is setup to pay for SQL Server & the VM by the minute, it is not possible to upgrade the SQL Server Edition. The entire VM must be rebuilt which, while possible, can be very time consuming.

Request is to allow SQL Server edition upgrades within Azure VMs when paying by the minute for service. For example, a VM may be initially built with SQL Server Standard edition. This is my situation. I now have the need to use an enterprise edition feature (data driven SSRS subscriptions). I have no choice but to rebuild the VM from scratch.

35 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Paul Felix shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Stephane St-Louis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be easier to perform, especially considering that upgrading edition from Standard to Enterprise usually simply consists of inserting the installation media and performing a few simple clicks...

• Diego commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the process of upgrading or downgrading the SQL version should be as simple as the process of resizing a VM

• Christian Findlay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a really poor problem with Azure VM Hosting. They really need to fix this as it is very time consuming to set up a VM, and then to be forced to dump all that work just because you want to upgrade SQL server is ridiculous.

Feedback and Knowledge Base