How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Allow rename of network interface resources

When creating a VM in the Azure Portal using the ARM deployment model, the network interface is labeled with the hostname + a 5 digit random? number.

I haven’t found a way to change this in the Portal.

In case a customer would prefer to use their own naming convention for interface resources, like <hostname>-ifc, can we consider adding this option to the Azure Portal?

I realize there is likely a way to do this already with ARM templates and PowerShell based deployments, but having this feature also available in the GUI would provide some added flexibility for new customers that are initially more comfortable with GUI vs. automated deployments. Thanks!

81 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Preston K. Parsard shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Russ McClelland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found this article which shows you how to add and remove NICs from the portal command line. I've used this for Windows and Ubuntu VMs because I don't like the messy names they create. Would be nice if they let you pick a name for the NIC, Static IP, etc. Basically everything you're forced to create when provisioning a new VM.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/linux/multiple-nics

• Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where is this feature?

I want to be able to rename my Network Interfaces to something descriptive.

• Martin Sele commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue here, after VM restore from the Recovery Service Vault the NIC has an assigned name which differs from the original and does not meet our naming conventions.

• Stephane LEPREVOST commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is another good reason : when you restore a VM using a Recovery Service Vault, the new NIC don't have the same name.

Feedback and Knowledge Base