How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Make the timeout period for the DSC VM extension configurable

Currently I am deploying a lab environment using ARM and DSC. The deployment includes an unattended installation of SQL server, which takes a lot of time. This means that most of the time the DSC VM extension times out after 90 minutes and gives an error while the DSC configuration will complete successfully a few minutes later. It would help if I could set the timeout for the extension myself.

66 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Nils van Schaik shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Gary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd say it's the functionality of the extension install that should be changed.
    Installing the extension should set the LCM and assign the node configuration, but not wait for the configuration to complete.
    Splitting infrastructure set up from software set up makes more sense.
    Installing the extension provides the capability, but running the DSC configuration itself should be outside the scope of the install. After all, once the initial install is completed, it's likely that the DSC might change without doing a full redeploy of the environment, the DSC script might have a fault or possibly not even exist at initial deployment.
    Think I'll raise as separate feedback as well.

• Jason Jester commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would assist some of our customers and would add value to our larger VM deployments, particularly in scale sets that have multiple extensions. Continued comments and votes here do drive supported features, so continue to vote and comment this thread, knowing that some inside are also pushing for this.

• Idan Ohayon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue with DSC extention without SQL install (only SQL management studio)

• Donovin DeCoste commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also run into this problem 20% of the time now and getting worse so it seems. Two months ago it was very infrequent, now it's becoming more of a problem that is requiring a larger investigation.

• Daniel Davidson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue as the OP and others: SQL installation DSC times out after 1 hour 30 minutes.

This is very problematic since SQL just takes a really long time to install.

• Greg Lloyd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just had the same issue with a deployment today from VSTS. I looked at the timing for the deployment of the DSC Extension and I clocked it at 1 hr 29 minutes and 27 seconds. The next message is that it has timed out.

Microsoft please let us change the timeout value or let it use the VSTS timeout setting.

• Paul Puyleart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am experiencing the same issue and for me with one of my roles of build and deploy I don't really like seeing failed deploys. If I redeploy then the deploy will succeed telling me that my DSC finished previously and all is well.

Would appreciate hearing any updates on this.

• Paul Mooij commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

same here. need to re-deploy the template after the extension is finished in order te update the time-out error to the appropriate succes status

• Andreas Storlien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have exactly the same issue. It is annoying with error status in the portal when the actual deployment went fine.

Feedback and Knowledge Base