How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

Remove the limitation for Students.

We had someone from Microsoft come in to our University and tell us about how Azure works and how Azure is here for students to use and explore and is for free (yay).

How do you expect students to have the ability to explore your services and play with stuff if you have limited us so much? for example, I was going to make a VM for windows server and get to know Windows server, explore how it works etc... but can't make a VM because it keeps asking me for my credit Card?

I have to say I am a little disappoint. The way the guy from Microsoft made it sound like we had access to everything and was able to use the service freely.

Having the Service a little more open to students would be a nice.

3 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Callum Green shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with it that the student plan is very limited.

I see why it's disallowed to create VM's, namely because that's quite expensive. I think other services that are very cheap to offer are also disabled for students.
    For instance, I don't know why it shouldn't be allowed to set custom DNS (cname to my site's subdomain) or SSL (not sure if it's possible to add self-signed certificates in paid versions).
    Also, the web apps become interesting at the moment we're working with .NET. If you want some sort of storage it's very likely to go for Microsoft SQL, while that's also disabled! Only the ClearDB MySQL database is enabled.

Feedback and Knowledge Base