Virtual Machines

How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Virtual machine console access

There is no VMConnect capability for console access to the VM as there is with Hyper-V.

So in the situation where I lost connectivity, by misconfiguration, or system failure, is there only one very time and bandwith consuming way to fix it - download the VHDs on-premise, boot it in Hyper-V and VMConnect to repair VM, then upload all GBs back to the Azure...

I requesting console access, also with ability to mount some image for repair and boot from it (as we do it in standard environment).

1,898 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

265 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

2. Adding existing ARM virtual machine to availability set

Adding existing ARM virtual machine to availability set. I can't do much with certain setups cause they have to be in an availability set and I cant add them to one after they have been created.

76 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enalbe SQL Server Edition Upgrade when paying by the minute in Azure VM

When SQL Server is purchased as part of an Azure VM and a subscription is setup to pay for SQL Server & the VM by the minute, it is not possible to upgrade the SQL Server Edition. The entire VM must be rebuilt which, while possible, can be very time consuming.

Request is to allow SQL Server edition upgrades within Azure VMs when paying by the minute for service. For example, a VM may be initially built with SQL Server Standard edition. This is my situation. I now have the need to use an enterprise edition feature (data driven SSRS…

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Force a memory dump for Azure VMs

I wish that force a memory dump method implement for Azure VMs; like "Debug-VM -InjectNonMaskableInterrupt". https://technet.microsoft.com/ja-jp/library/dn464280.aspx

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

triaged  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support for Teams & SFB on Windows Virtual Desktop

With the release of Windows Virtual desktops on Azure, the multisession W10 offering does not support either of the Collaboration Tools, SFB or Teams. The support of these office apps with pass through support for peripherals is vital to make this offering viable. Please can this be looked at and delivered when the service goes public on Azure

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/set-up-customize-master-image

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. enable serial port redirection for medical practices' diagnostic machines

Enable serial port redirection for medical practices' diagnostic machines. Currently there is no way to redirect serial data from the office to the cloud server in Azure.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

7. Display VM Image information in the portal

When creating Azure Compute Resources you need to specify the following Parameters in order to request a VM:

Offer
    Publisher
    Sku

Getting this information can be very hard because these information are only displayed in the "Export template" section after you created them.

I think, that it would be way better if we could fetch these Information from the Marketplace Item page. (See attached picture)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8. VM creation validation on tags, without actually creating any underlying resources

I have created two policies contained within an initiative for a tagging requirement. One of these validated Resource Group creation, and the other VM creation.

All of my other VM creation requirements (such as allowed images, allowed SKU's, allowed regions etc) result either in a Validation Failed or Validation Passed during creation validation, with the exception of TAG.

When attempting to create a new Resource Group that does not have the required tags defined in the policy, I get a creation error. It's a bit ugly looking but it at least stops the creation of the Resource Group that does…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to up-vote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

9. Display installed Azure extension from within the Add Extensions menu

Provide a mechanism to surface (display) installed Azure Extensions from within the Add menu. For example, I have the Network Watcher Agent (NWA) installed, but when I click <Add> and go into the Extensions menu NWA is still available as an option along with other installed extension. Ideally, add a checkmark to the icon or something like it to depict that the Extenstion has already been installed.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

10. Improve image gallery replication to other region

image replication to other region fail or limited to 1

Code="ReplicationJobsNotCompleted" Message="The replication job has not completed at region: 'eastasia'. You can try to reduce the number of the target regions when you first create the gallery image version, then update the gallery image version by adding more target regions.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Set default permission to temporary disk (/mnt/resource)

In linux environment default permission of /mnt/resource is 755.
    It is nice to have a functionality to set any permission to that.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Windows Server 2019 and Semi-Annual Channel support for Azure Disk Encryption

Windows Server 2019 and Semi-Annual Channel builds should be supported with Azure Disk Encryption

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. JIT access on VM blade should behave exactly like it does in Security Center

JIT is a great part of the product. From the Security Center blade it allows a user to open a specific IP (MyIP) that they are connecting from. I can whitelist IPs, ranges, etc, or allow them to whitelist any specific IP of their choice.

When using JIT from the VM blade it simply places the whitelist (or * if no whitelist is present) into the new NSG rule. I would like the VM blade's implementation of JIT to match with the Security Center implementation. In my use case I want to allow users to open individual IPs, tied to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15. Mount VHDs/managed disks directly in portal

For unencrypted volumes, it would sometimes be useful to be able to "mount" these volumes in Azure and browse/edit some of the data. Using this method, some Linux problems could be fixed, i.e. problematic fstab entries. If possible, this would need to be available for different file systems, i.e. NTFS, ETX4 ...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

16. VM current screenshot on front page of VM?

I feel that it would be great to have this shown on the front page of the VM, a bit like how a VM is displayed in Hyper-V, so that at a glance you can see the latest screen capture

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

17. Create rescue VM directly from portal

I'm aware of the rescue VM scripts for Azure VMs, however it would be handy to have a 'rescue' button in the portal which does all of the steps i.e. creating snapshot, new rescue VM (maybe hypervisor), attaching disk, etc.
    This would be a big time saver when troubleshooting a failed VM

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. link the reserved resources such as VMs per resource ID to the services that request them. The current system is not user-friendly.

When choosing to reserve resources over a longer period and to benefit from a discount by committing to allocate resources over 1/3 years, the way that Azure does it is really not transparent and not user friendly.
    First of all, it should be possible that a resource like AKS offers the option of creating a cluster for 1/3 years instead of requiring the user to create the underlying VMs first and have them "automatically" be assigned to the AKS, so long as the VMs are of the same type.
    Also, what if another user that has access to the subscription…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make deleting VMs faster

Currently it takes more than 10 minutes to delete a single VM. This is too slow, please make it faster.

Deleting a VM should be something that can be done in less than one minute like it is with other cloud platforms.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow VM console access when storage account has firewall enabled

It's pretty ridiculous that the Azure VM serial console won't work when the boot diagnostics storage account has a firewall enabled.

First, it should be possible to use a firewall for additional protection of boot diagnostics. I understand that the storage has to be written from the host server, not the VM, so it might not be on the correct vnet; but this should be considered a "trusted Azure service", or there should be another option to allow it.

Second, the Serial Console is not the same as boot logging. They are two separate things! I should be able to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base