Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. VM Created from custom image should be able to select storage account for VHD

When we try to create a virtual machine from a custom image the VHD's for the new virtual machine are created in the same storage account as the custom image. This is not ideal because most customers have different environments in different subscriptions so they are forced to copy the image into storage account in each subscriptions. It is not easy to copy the images between the storage accounts either.

552 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

35 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Live migrate the VMs during maintenance/hardware failures

Right now Azure VM customers experience very frequent restarts that impact the availability of services. As far as I know, these restarts are mostly caused by either host upgrades or hardware failures.

Developing a HA setup is pretty straightforward for some scenarios (web servers), complex (database back-ends, notably MySQL) or extremely difficult (back-end applications used by our accounting department, for instance, which were designed to be run on one machine).
    Of course, HA setups are necessary for any major applications, but most of the setups we see have lots of single-instance roles (and for good reason most of the times).

478 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Azure has recently announced a number of improvements to maintenance reboot notifications. A lot of maintenance work is done silently behind the scenes. For those that require a reboot, you’ll now have a “planned maintenance” window where you can pro-actively reboot the machine at a time of your choosing.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/a-new-planned-maintenance-experience-for-your-virtual-machines/

Thank you!

3. Allow me to select drive letter for the temp drive in virtual machine.

Customers have been asking for this every since IAAS went into preview. There are many customer migrating their on premise applications to Azure IAAS. Some of these applications have hard references to D: drive. It is possible to manually move temp drive from D: to another drive letter but it is hard to automate this. A simple fix for this is to move this temp drive to a Z: drive. A better fix may be to allow Azure Portal and PowerShell to select the drive letter for the temp drive during VM creation process.

This will simplify migrations.

469 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. provide ability to share Virtual Machine Images across subscriptions

This would save a lot of time for users that manage multiple subscriptions as it can take a very long time to upload images. This is already supported in Amazon AWS. It would be great if you could share VM images across regions as well.

397 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add Octopus Deploy agent installation option

It's great that you've included Puppet agent and Puppet master support,

It would be even better if you also supported the .NET-based Octopus Deploy in a similar way where it would be possible to stand up a VM with an Octopus Agent (Tentacle) pre-installed and configured.

383 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Today, at TechEd, we announced that Octopus is available as an extension in the Virtual Machine on Azure, today. You can deploy it by adding the extension to a running VM here (https://portal.azure.com/). We will have detailed Azure blog. @CoreySandersWA.

6. Ability to move VM into a VNET (Virtual Network)

The ability to move a existing VM into a existing Virtual Network.

288 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This was at least partially completed as part of migration of Classic VMs to Azure Resource Manager VMs where the VMs are moved into a VNet as part of migration.

If the desire is to support moving an existing resource manager VM between VNets, then please upvote the following item: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/34192--general-feedback/suggestions/6806232-include-the-option-to-change-virtual-network-in-th

7. Provide Azure based GPU Processing

Is there a way that CAD processing intensive applications can use worker roles that can access GPUs in the same way as CPUs.
    That would mean to extend the Azure HW-Spec in some way to provide Multi-GPU-Cores in additon to Multi-CPU-Cores.

268 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  22 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. UDP EndPoints

UDP endpoints would allow for full RTP/RTCP/RTSP media streaming implementations as well custom protocols for game systems.

257 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Static MAC address

We need static MAC addresses on the vm's network cards due to the licensing model of the software we need to install.

We cant obtain new licenses every time the MAC address changes.

Having the ability to change the address back to the original might also work for us

249 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

55 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Customizable maintenance window

Currently Azure doesn't provide SLA for single VM. In each month, Azure will have a scheduled maintenance. During the maintenance window, all the VM will be rebooted. This approach brings great trouble to those applications which rely on memory heavily, such as online game, desktop app, etc. Normal HA solution, such as db persistent or sharing memory can't help here. A better approach is to let customer select maintenance window, or initiate reboot by customer himself. So the maintenance is controllable at customer side.

249 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Upgrade Windows Azure processor from 1.6 GHz to minumum 3.0 Ghz

1.6 GHz virtual processor is so small and this is main problem to migrate my apps to ms cloud,

210 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Shareing Virtual Machines Between Different Azure Accounts

I have 10 plus developers in my group. All have MSDN licenses and we are exploring the use of Azure to do our SharePoint development. In order to setup SharePoint properly you need 3 Virtual Machines, a DC, a SQL Server and a SharePoint server. It would be nice if between the 10 developers they could share a DC and SQL Server and only have a SharePoint server unique to them. Of course, doing this in a secure fashion is key.

197 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add gallery image for Server 2012 R2 Standard

Please add a gallery image for Server 2012 R2 Standard.

Please allow this option so we can align with our corporate standard VM version, it would not be a big deal if we could bring our own standard image and deploy it across storage accounts, but that is not possible either... so we either have to use a gallery image and customize it, or else we have to bring our own standard image and keep it across many, many storage accounts and subscriptions.

Using Datacenter version locks us into Azure, there is a big licensing cost to bring a VM…

186 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. provide virtual machine instance metadata support similar to AWS and GCE

Both AWS and GCE allow runtime meta data calls from inside a VM , both of them using a similar mechanism of a call to http://169.254.169.254/something/

GCE:
    https://developers.google.com/compute/docs/metadata

AWS: (and openstack and eucalyptus)
    http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/AESDG-chapter-instancedata.html

These provide ways to have the instance do introspection on where it is, what account it is in, info about its VLANs, ip's, etc.. WITHOUT needing the whole API tool chain and importantly without have credentials to the account in the instance.

152 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. More powerful GPU and Direct3d support

In order to develop graphic intensive applications or run graphic intensive applications more powerful video processing is required.

145 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow nested virtualization, please

The Azure IaaS infrastructure does not currently provide granular control of resource allocation. VM sizes are static - and while there is a range from which to choose it's not as granular as many would like. If one simply needs to increase available RAM, that comes with additional CPU cores and vice versa - and the associated increased price tag. Allowance for nested virtualization would allow for customers to create a reduced number of larger VMs and allocate the resources between nested VMs as they see fit.

I work in SQL Server support org and have had multiple customers express…

101 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Ability to migrate VMs with managed disks between subscriptions

Ability to migrate VMs with managed disks between subscriptions

I just spent a week building out a new IaaS based infrastructure (lots of VM's, load balancers, SQL AOAG cluster) under an ARM model and managed disks - only to find that migration of VMs with managed disks to another subscription is not yet supported.

I hope someone from the Azure management team understands why traditional IaaS infrastructures might begin under a test/dev subscription and then (when proved out and ready to run) – might be migrated to an Enterprise subscription. If and operations team attempts to use the latest technology…

98 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow provisioned VM pricing to be altered to add software licensing without reprovisioning

As an Azure VM user/administrator, I would like to be able to take an existing VM priced at one rate, and "upgrade" the pricing to include licensing for products installed after provisioning. I would like this to provide flexibility (e.g., if I want to install SQL Server on a Windows priced VM, without losing install/configuration work already undertaken on that VM and without independently licensing SQL; or if I want to add BizTalk to a Win/SQL-priced VM). I would also like this to allow simplified compliance (e.g., a Windows-priced VM is found to have SQL Server installed after provisioning), to…

89 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This idea speaks to both adding SQL to an existing, non SQL VM as well as applying a SQL license to an existing SQL VM.

One half of the request is available now. Azure supports the ability to change a SQL Pay-as-you-go VM to a Bring your own license (BYOL) SQL VM. Details for this functionality can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/sql/virtual-machines-windows-sql-ahb .

The second half of this request which is to enable SQL pay-as-you-go billing for a VM which originally did not have SQL is not a planned feature at this time.

19. Snapshot Azure VM

Azure should have the ability to live snapshot a vm. Very similar to Citrix Coud platform.

users should be able to snapshot a vm at any running point. Select where they want to store the snapshot (what storage account). Snapshots should be easily converted to images that can be used for future deployments.

Sample. I configure a new windows server. I install exchange, and set other windows features. I snapshot the image so that if i can make a mistake i can simply revert to a snapshot. once completed I create it as an image template for future windows-exchange servers.

88 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Host reboots without VM reboot

In the last 3 months Azure had rebooted VMs almost in 15 instances, and most of them are because of a bug, for a cloud concentric company this is unacceptable-- why is it not possible to fix the bug without rebooting VMs? Moving to cloud from on-premise was supposed to reduce hands on involvement and reduce costs-- neither of which are happening here. Can you please provide an answer as to when we can expect a solution where your customers VMs dont get rebooted randomly?

87 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
  • Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base