Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Upload VHDX

A support for uploading VHDX images would be great. With that it wouldn't be necessary anymore to migrate a VHDX to VHD before.

341 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

24 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The status of this item has been moved back to Under Review. We initially planned to move to VHDX support as part of our support for HyperV Gen2 VMs, but we ended up using the VHD format for Gen2 VMs as well. Some aspects of the Azure Infrastructure do not cleanly support VHDX OS or data disks. So this feature is dependent on some of these internal services being updated which is an ongoing process.

2. Production / Staging VM

Provide a way to group VMs into production / staging environment. Somehow like the production / staging environments of cloud services.

289 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. A "sleep" state of VM which is cost wise similar to stop state. The VM wakes up and continues the previous session without rebooting OS.

It is a great feature of Azure to stop costs if the VM is stopped. But shutdown the VM needs close all the running programs and applications in the current session. It will be great if the VM can have a sleep mode which can stop all the costs (or partially). So users can quickly resume the work in the new session without restarting the VM.

230 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow easy donation of unused CPU cycles to cancer research, Folding@home, etc.

I would like to easily 'donate' my unused CPU cycles towards a good cause, such as cancer research within the Folding@home project.

Ideally this setting would be incorporated into the config of my worker roles, or within the Windows Azure portal.

167 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ability to Hibernate VMs to support DevTest workflos

The new DevTest Azure portal feature has the ability to turn off VMs on a schedule to support dev/testing without breaking the budget. It would be nice if the VMs could be hibernated instead so that developers would not lose their development sessions/window settings etc. when they start off in the morning. But I understand that the ability to hibernate VMs in Azure is not currently a core feature that exists. It would be very nice if that feature could be added. I'm sure there are other use cases where VM hibernation could be very handy too.

145 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Support upgrading existing Azure VM with Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2016

How do I go about upgrading existing Azure VM with Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2016? It seems like a big issue for many companies for adopting Windows Server 2016 in Microsoft Azure.

"Microsoft server software support for Microsoft Azure virtual machines" article still states "Microsoft does not support an upgrade of the operating system of a Microsoft Azure virtual machine. Instead, you should create a new Azure virtual machine that is running the supported version of the operating system that is required and then migrate the workload."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2721672/microsoft-server-software-support-for-microsoft-azure-virtual-machines

Please support this scenario. Thanks

117 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Shrink Managed disk

I'd like the ability to shrink a managed disk.

I'm creating a managed image from a marketplace windows server base, installing a bunch of third party software and using DevTest labs and VSTS to automate the build of a base image that I use for a large number of VM deployments.

The managed disks created from my image are 128gb of which I use about 40gb. I'd like to shrink the managed disk used in the image to 64gb so the VMs I deploy from my image fit in the S6 managed disk pricing bracket.

103 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. search by ip

It would be nice to search/filter virtual machines in the azure portal by IP number

103 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. add the ability to create a VM and install an OS (Linux/Windows) from an .ISO

It would be great to be able to stand up a VM w/ my hardware requirements and mount an .iso of the OS that I want to install. This is how Hyper V and vCenter works. We would upload the OS .ISO to a datastore, give the new VM access to the indicated datastore, and use the .ISO that is on the datastore as a bootable OS.

This way we could install custom linux OS's or other versions of windows (e.g. server 2008 R2 Standard x64)

61 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add Dedicated Instances

Amazon AWS has the option to have Dedicated Instances for an increased charge, which means your VMs run on single tenant hardware instead of being shared with other Amazon customers. I suggest that Microsoft needs to add this feature to Azure. We have customers demanding that our service be run in an environment not shared by others. Here is the link to the Amazon offering for comparison purposes.

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/purchasing-options/dedicated-instances/

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Scheduled start/stops of VMs

Add a feature to Azure that allows the user to schedule a VM to start and/or stop at a certain date and time. This feature should be similar to a scheduled task in Windows.

If it's possible to do this with a scheduled task and some PowerShell scripts/cmdlets, let me know. But I do not think that would be as optimal as having this feature built into Azure because Azure frequently takes 15 minutes to allocate hardware to a VM before starting it up.

Ideally, an Azure management portal interface would allow the user to pick a time to start…

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow to create VM without starting it immediatelly

Sometimes I want to create VM and immediatelly set additional configuration like attachng additional disk, set static IP via powersell. Today when I create it I need to wait for it to be provisioned/started, then shutdown it and wait and finally I can do some additional settings. Also when recreating deleted VMs which had previously attached disks (SQL server, domain controller) it first starts with disks missing which can even break stuff. Please add additional checkbox/flag to portal/powershell when creating VM so that it is not started/provisioned immediatelly.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Set Locale on creating VM

Most people in the world do not use en-US as their locale which means the passwords they create on their own machine do not function as expected when on the VM as the VM interprets the keyboard layout into en-US. Even en-GB has problems where the @ is created using a different shift-key combination.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Flexible instance size

Right now, I can't increase only memory amount.
    If I want more, I need to switch from Small Instance to Medium Instance (for example).

But there are cases that I just want more memory, let's say from 1.75GB to 3GB. It will be nice if I could attach more memory, in a way close to the "attach disk to VM".

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow Virtual Machine's to be provisioned by providing a URL to a .OVA file

Virtual Machine's could be provisioned by providing a URL to .OVA file or other VM file formats.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. make installation media available (mount an .iso) for those of us that use Azure VMs

Occasionally we need access to the source media to access scripts or files on our VMs. I recently ran into this issue while following this MSDN article ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn486787.aspx ) while setting up an ADFS farm. There is literally no way forward without the installation media.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks! This is something we are considering as we add enhancements to auto-configuration. You may be able to do this using Azure Files, today.

17. VS 2010 Guest VM Role: Runs VSw/AzureTools: Allows sandbox development via RDP.

I'd like to deploy a special role that would provide me access to a endpoint I can connect to via Remote Desktop. When I login, I'd like a Virtual Visual Studio with Azure Tools, that has a XDrive (configured via configuration) so I can do all my Azure Development without ever having to install a thing. I'll pay monthly for the compute time I use developing, and the storage to keep my projects (via XDrive).

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Retrieve VM internalUUID from REST API

Since http://azure.microsoft.com/blog/2014/10/13/accessing-and-using-azure-vm-unique-id/ ther's now there's now an Azure-unique UUID but you need to log into VM to get it.

It should be exposed in API (under RoleInstance entity?) so 3rd party integrations could identify uniquely VMs easily.

We've also missed a way in API to search for a certain VM without having to look in every cloud service. This unique UUID could be useful.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. add the ability to use preconfigure iso images like Amazon in VM role

Give the ability in VM role to use a preconfigure iso image, like the one Amazon has available.It will make easier to use and work with the VM role

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. OpenBSD Virtual Machine

I would love to see an OpenBSD virtual machine, we use OpenBSD along side windows and would be interested in moving our entire cloud services to you if there was an OpenBSD virtual machine

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base