Virtual Machines

How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please share more details on what was hard and what didn’t work!! We are VERY passionate to make this better. Please help us. :)

Corey

2. acl order bug

the endpoint acl rules display with a wrong order number, if i use rest api or powershell to change the order number of some rules, it will still display the old number~~

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Oracle Database VM for BizSpark Subscribers

I want to ask that if it Oracle Database VM is not for Biz Spark subscribers then why it is displaying in our VM list?
    Do you think that it is a good practice that first you give option to your customers to create oracle DB VM then ask him to delete that VM ignoring that he have some saved work in that VM.
    I think this is your system bug.

Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow BuzzTouch users to self host on his own website, a dedicated server, or an instance in Visual Studio or Windows Azure Store

Allow BuzzTouch users to self host on his own website, a dedicated server, or an instance in Visual Studio or Windows Azure Store without complex modifications.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Make creating virtual machines faster

I should be able to create a new virtual machine from the gallery and have it up an running in < 1 minute.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Varun Maker responded

Thanks for the feedback, Alan. I am guessing your feedback is more around improving the performance of the VM creation rather than the functionality, correct? I ask because the functionality already exists today.

Just so that you are aware, this forum is for Cloud Services. We also have a Virtual Machines community (http://feedback.windowsazure.com/forums/216843-virtual-machines) where you can find answers to all Virtual Machine related questions.

6. Templates in a location should get that regional time setting. Not the US. There are other time zones!

Templates in a location (eg. Hong Kong) should get that regional time setting. Not the US. There are other time zones!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, Aaron. You can pass into PowerShell and REST the timezone you want your VM deployed as. I think the feedback to do this via the portal is also good.

7. Virtual Machines Disks view must show disk size

In Virtual Machines when you switch to Disks view, it’s very useful to show each disk size! I mean a new column with this important information.
    Please, this is a simple information, but helps a lot.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Kazumi HIROSE

Subscription japanese name.
    Subscription directory filter has Garbage chars.
    Please see attach file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Improve the way VHD files are visually associated with VMs in Management Portal

Every Virtual Machine is associated to a VHD, but when we have multiple Virtual Machines in the same subscription, it becomes extremely difficult to identify the VHD linked to a particular Virtual Machine in the subscription.

Personally, I will add more information on storage item to correctly and sharply inform the user. I will also set filters on the UI to list only VHD storage items already used by VM (stopped and/or running)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Create a new patched instance and auto swap instead of bringing down single instance production deployments

When running a single instance every so often the instance will go down for patching. The instance appears as "VM Stopped" for a period of time, then comes back.

Rather than forcing downtime to a production role, why not spin up a patched version of the instance then swap it in for the unpatched instance, and delete the old one?

MS documentation already points out the instances can be created and destroyed at any time, so we've already created our apps in a way that can handle such scenarios. Applying the patches this way will save the downtime (we've observed…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

One complexity here is because these instances are persistent, creating a snapped copy might be tricky or impossible.

Is this something that could be enabled with Auto-Scale?

11. Provide single VM instance RDS capability

Standalone RDS (RemoteApp and VDI) is only available for Windows Server 2008 R2 and not for Windows Server 2012. Server 2012 requires active directory and also will not allow it to be installed on the same VM as RDS. Please provide the capability to run all services needed for RDS on a single Windows Server 2012 VM.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. specify which local ip to give to my vm when I create or attach it.

Specify which local ip to give to my vm when I create or attach it. This way I can specify a series of dns servers and then actually have servers to apply those addresses to. This is also helpful when migrating servers since it will then maintain its addressing structure.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. implement a REST API call to be able to delete a virtual machine using its public/private ip

this will make the infrastructure one step closer to a real IaaS environment.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add VM to DC from management API

Currently it is only possible to add only new VMs to DC either through management API or powershell.

For example there is a VM, which i want to join to DC running in the same VNET and in azure IaaS. There is no way we can do that either from API or Powershell, VM needs to be added to DC manually by specifying DNS IP in IPV4 config.

It is alway important to update existing machines that are running in work group to be added to DC and VNET without bringing them down.
    Also it would be useful for managing…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow FQDN access between VM roles.

Currently I cant communicate between 2 VM roles using FQDN. I have to use ip address.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Support put metrics from multiple nodes from a VMSS into a single chart in metric explorer

Currently, from metric explorer I can view some metrics from a single node from a VMSS. For example, I can view CPU percentage for node-0 in a chart. However, it will be more useful if I can put CPU percentage metrics for other nodes in the same chart so that I can view all CPU usage in a single chart. Then I can do a second chart for network for all nodes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

17. Auto-mount file share when storage access keys are refreshed

Currently, to mount azure file share on Linux VM, we use mount command provide storage access key. If someone refresh their storage access keys, they need to un-mount the file share and then re-mount it. There should be an easier approach to handle this scenario. This become pain when you have auto-refresh policy in your organization.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Goegraphical availability list

Can we have a comprehensive table of the Countries where RI VM's are not available yet?

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Update Management - Scheduled Update monthly date ignored upon creation

Hi
    upon creation of schedule for servers to be updated a specific date once a month is ignored if you do not change start day on top of UI. The server(s) will be updated on startday and time. Not as intended on the specific date the first time. You should remove start date, when selecting periodic updates. Alternative automatically change start date to the day the first updates should be applied according to schedule. I had servers rebooting yesterday because of this error and not at the 10th as scheduled.
    Kind regards
    Asger

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Change the order of network interfaces for VMs

The idea is, that i can change the order of interfaces under a vm. The problem is a third party device like Checkpoint firewalls get the port order from azure. So, if i want to rearrange the order i have to detach all interfaces and afterwards i have to attach them in the right order. This is very time consuming.

Moreover, if i make a mistake at the beginning, i have to detach all network interfaces, which i did attach to rearrange the order.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base