• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Error Creating VM UX

1. Creating VM is not validating all fields
    2. I shouldn't be reading JSON to figure out what the problem is
    3. I should know what my options are
    4. Notification should take me to the configuration page and ask me to correct the error

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Optional Workflow Server to the SharePoint Server Farm item in the Gallery

The current gallery option to create a SharePoint Server Farm is good but it does not go far enough. While a migration to Office 365 and "the cloud" in general is well underway, many developers are still being tasked with developing On-Premises solutions, and a great many of these include Workflow requirements.

Azure is a great way for a developer to spin up a Development/Test/Sandbox environment, but trying to add a workflow server into the current VM's that are deployed as part of the existing template is a painful and frustrating process, especially for those developers (like myself) who are…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Don't publish RDP / PowerShell when selecting a corp connected network

My financial customer was alarmed to see that a server was exposed to the internet when it was also connected to their corporate network.

I helped them "connect" their on premises network to Azure. Once connected, one of the IT Admins just ran through the wizard (UI) to create a VM and place it on the network. A week later, security was reviewing the settings and asked why a sensitive server on a sensitive network was exposed (RDP with a random port) to the internet (which there is no good answer).

My request: Can we change the deploy VM behavior…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Choosing visual studio VM

It's extremely difficult to chose a VM to create, as the column is extremely thin, so the details are hidden (such as OS type)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. VM available as Thin client

Virtual Machine availability as Thin client .
    so that user can open Virtual Machine in IE .

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. support glassfish server for Java Developers + good documentation for java

I'm a java developer using glassfish as a application server, so to use azure cloud for java applications glassfish is mandatory because it is one of the few servers Java EE 7 certified.
    comparing to Google App Engine Java documentaion, Azure Java Docs is very poor.
    Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I would love more details on the type of documentation you would like to see to improve Java usage on the platform!! We are always looking to improve Java usage and this would help a lot.

7. Create a step by step guide on which order to create cloud server, VPN, and VMs

There must be an order you create site-to-site VPNs, cloud services and virtual machines. I have not found a clear step by step document on this. (I guess I could write it.... :) It is clear you must create the VPN first. How do I move resources around? Can I move resources between cloud services? etc....

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Ability to move resources

Some examples:

1) You set up something (e.g. SQL, VM, storage, CDN, etc.) in a region because a feature wasn't available in another region. Then it becomes available, and you are stuck in the old region because moving things requires lots of manual work, copies, DNS changes, etc., if at all possible. It would be great to allow to simply "change region", and Azure does everything needed behind the scenes. Of course you pay for the bandwidth, but the operation could be transparent.

2) You set up a VM, and you forget to put it in an affinity group. Shouldn't…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. How about the dynamic port mapping details

If a socket connection not active in more than 4 minutes, why the port mapping clear in windows azure vms

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Enable possibility to enable Hyper V on Azure servers

Hi,

I want to learn how to work with Hyper-V. I deployed 2 Server 2012 DC but it is not possible to install Hyper-V as a service to learn how to finetune / debug Hyper-V issues.

The solution at this moment is to launch VMware ESX and deploy Hyper-V under ESX.
    I think this can be improved for Azure -> I need IaaS on Azure to decommission my old hardware test lab.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks, Jan. This is actually a limitation of HyperV itself. WE will keep this in mind as we look at future versions of Windows.

11. whole disk encryption

the ability to have an HSM solution outside Azure while securing at the disk level - all resources and including databases.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We just announced partnerships with Trend Micro to enable some encryption solution. This may meet your needs.

12. More Memory Needed in Entry-Level Subscription Plan

I am looking into Azure to host our point of sale software. After looking at the pricing, we realize that to serve just 1 user of our software, it will require at the minimum a "Small VM" subscription plan with 1.75GB of RAM in order to cope with some operations particularly resource-hungry report generation. And this would cost us $66.96/month.

At that rate after adding a profit margin for administrating the server and other stuff on our side, the end-user would end up with a price tag that continues to render the traditional localised system a more compelling option.

There…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Give us the ability to load windows 7, pos read 7, windows 8, windows 8.1

When it comes down to it those of us who actually use the msdn and the services, want to run and test both client and server builds, giving us access to client hardware that is on the same network as our servers would be excellent. I am in a hurting to install 2 or 3 clients windows 8.1 and pos read7 to do some actual testing. I know I can upload my own image file but it is overly inconvenient. since i have to down load the os from your servers and then convert the vhd and re-upload, when installing…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Time of Scheculed Maintenance for Windows Azure VMs.

I'm posting this on behalf of my customer who contacted us for a scheduled maintenance which was supposed to affect single instance deployments of Windows Azure Virtual Machines which Microsoft scheduled on December 6, 2013 at 1500 hrs EST US. First of all, Friday, 1500 hrs is not at all off hours when any maintenance should be scheduled. Considering that this is Holiday season and there are 100s of 1000s online websites/businesses which are at their peak time of the year, no one can afford any downtime during this time. Customer contacted Microsoft for rescheduling it to first week of…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I really appreciate the feedback and agree we need to continue to make improvements in our planned maintenance progress.

15. VM machine should contain software library folder so time for downloading and installing will be reduce.

Comparing with Cloudshare.com
    1. VM there are very less preconfigured VM's are available.
    2. They provide the access through browser good one for mobile device users.
    3. Share the own machine drives for data sharing with RDP VM machine should be included.
    4. Deployment of Non Microsoft (MySql and PHP) website need to make easy with tool tips and tutorials.
    5. Overall Good Speed in VM machine with best BCP support.
    6. Thanking you for providing preview to test the environment .

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. All cloud service/role instances and VMs should have a thumbnail screenshot

One of the differences between VMs and physical machines is that you cannot see what's going on when RDP doesn't work, for example when the machine has locked up or when it is booting.

It would be great to be able to get a screenshot of the current state, a bit like in HyperV server.

This would help us diagnose problems.

For example, the other day I was worried that one of my VMs was taking ages to boot up. It turns out it was doing a Windows Update before RDP was available.

If I could see a screenshot, I…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a very interesting, it would be a cool way to see the current state of each of the resources that you have.

17. Display VM size (S/M/L/XL) for every role on WA Portal

Create a label on the Windows Azure portal which indicates the configured VM size for each role deployed to a tenant. Customers have difficulty easily determining what is deployed in larger deployment scenarios.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow Azure Subscription owner to define the recommended virtual maskine sizes.

It would med great, if a Azure Subscription owner could define the recommended virtual maskine sizes. We now recommend using Dv2 mashines as the default.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Save action should not block navigation

On some resources when you choose Save after making a configuration change on a resource, the blade must be left open until the Save action completes and you cannot navigate else where without getting an warning that changes will be lost. For example, adding a data disk to a VM takes sometimes 1-2 minutes so I have to wait. What I end up doing is opening another tab in the browser to continue working. All Saves should be immediate and allow you to navigate away immediately. Most time this is true, but some actions require you to wait.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. I am not at all sure what a free trial covers. I wanted to try A4 with Hortonworks Sandbox 2.3. What is my cost?

Please make clear what a free trial covers. Can I try A4 with Hortonworks Sandbox 2.3?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. You’re right in pointing out that some of the features and restrictions of the free trial offer are not clearly presented. We will look into improving this.

For your particular scenario, I don’t think you can provision a Hortonworks Sandbox because it is a third party product available through the Azure Marketplace. Free trial credits cannot to my knowledge be applied towards marketplace items.

As for the cost, if you were on a Pay-As-You-Go plan, you would pay an estimated $262 USD a month for full time use on the basic tier. This information is provided before you provision such a VM when using portal.azure.com

I hope that helped,

Adam
    -Azure Billing Team

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base